Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
02.06.2013 , 12:33 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Well, I think maybe you got short with the negativity. You're definetely slacking
Sadly, apparentely 3 years seem to be a plausible number so people aren't disregarding this as a ludicrous "estimation"
It's really quite a bad sign when people agree with me about three years being plausible. There's an under current of "ahh, **** it" that most companies would pay for in their customers, and here we are giving it to Bioware for free!

However I must say that, given that Bioware have announced that they intended to give us one or two [Flirt] options (of which I expect there to be a 50/50 chance of rejection) in Makeb, I've rather run out of steam. It feels like any attempt to get further clarification on companion romances will be met with "Ah, look! I have a quote" (as Mr. Gonzalez did in the previous thread, rather than actually lower himself to talk to us at the time), therefore being pointless and frustrating, and any attempt at a dialogue over their treatment and lack of any communication on the subject for the better part of a year will be met with silence and the aforementioned "Ah, look! I have a quote" tactic.

Bioware have played their hand well - we cannot complain about the introduction of [Flirt]s as being our only "romance" option because then we look greedy and pathetic, even though there are those of us who find it unsatisfactory, and we cannot approach their previous mishandling of the subject because, in their eyes, they have now handled the entire situation adequately and appropriately.

And the Force help us if we even attempt to mention anything related to SGRAs outside of this thread. Lent-san's suggestion thread for a gender change got derailed by two people going "uhhh, gays herp derp, you gotta wait, lyk, FOREVER" because they wanted to give some background to the proposal. So as negatively as I feel about Bioware's handling of this, as discouraged as I am by the still rampant homophobia and "I can't get over the fact that you mentioned this acronym" that plague these boards, I don't have a proper system to channel it yet. I believe once Makeb has come out with its one or two same-sex [Flirt]s and its eleventy-billion straight [Flirt]s, then I probably get a system going again, but until then... eh.

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
02.06.2013 , 12:47 PM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

So, while there is indeed a small amount of the general population that is anything other than straight, that doesn't account for other factors. Like the fact that players sometimes role play in a story based MMO. Weird, right?
That's the thing. And I'm still not convinced the numbers are that 'small' after all, depending on what survey we look at.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I took that number, then figured there's likely SGRs who don't care and OGRs who do to make up for it.
I guess that would be called 'making up a number'.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
You're also assuming people who are SGR in RL care at all if it's implemented in RL.
You're assuming they don't. There's no difference.

Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Really ? And you don't see why ? I find that interesting.
You twist people's words and make statements as if that purposely twisted version is the current consensus in the thread. You take stuffy's opinion and make it sound like it's the current consensus of the whole thread.
And then, with few posts between, you manage to suggest, out of concern, that people who want this content should quit the game as the best course of action. Right.
That's it, really. If you complain about people being nasty to you, stop being nasty in the first place. There's really not much to it.

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
02.06.2013 , 01:04 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
And the Force help us if we even attempt to mention anything related to SGRAs outside of this thread. Lent-san's suggestion thread for a gender change got derailed by two people going "uhhh, gays herp derp, you gotta wait, lyk, FOREVER" because they wanted to give some background to the proposal. So as negatively as I feel about Bioware's handling of this, as discouraged as I am by the still rampant homophobia and "I can't get over the fact that you mentioned this acronym" that plague these boards, I don't have a proper system to channel it yet. I believe once Makeb has come out with its one or two same-sex [Flirt]s and its eleventy-billion straight [Flirt]s, then I probably get a system going again, but until then... eh.
What's funny is that I explicitely mentioned that I don't mean that suggestion of a gender change option to be a simple cop out to shoo in SGR with current companions through the backdoor. That wasn't and isn't my intent.

Of course, being able to start Makeb with former female/now male char would indeed make SGR on Makeb easier to approach for me with a Lv50 char sitting playready on the shelve, and the fact I started her in the first place was because SGR wasn't available and I wanted to see what the romances were like, originally.

But mostly, starting a new char and deleting her would cost me all her skills and equip and max level, so a gender swap would just be practical, not more not less. But well, that's a discussion for the other thread.

I haven't lost hope for proper SGR down the road yet. I guess I am an eternal optimist, in this regard.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.06.2013 , 06:13 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Really ? And you don't see why ? I find that interesting.

You twist people's words and make statements as if that purposely twisted version is the current consensus in the thread. You take stuffy's opinion and make it sound like it's the current consensus of the whole thread.
And then, with few posts between, you manage to suggest, out of concern, that people who want this content should quit the game as the best course of action. Right.
Concern? I keep seeing that word. I have no concern what so ever. It's a valid suggestion. Boycotts can work. But you need a large enough consumer base to make it work. Now if the numbers are higher than what I estimated, and it seems to me that many in this thread think it is, then show it in force!

There's obviously some passionate supporters of this. So there's step one. Cost of doing this is...saving money (people are more likely to get involved if it doesnt cost them anything). People can participate without spending a cent! Easy to understand objective for the masses (put in SGR)! And I'm sure people are willing to get the news spread around to various gaming sites for media coverage.

So what exactly is wrong with suggesting such action, when it has shown it can work in other consumer affairs?

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.06.2013 , 06:25 PM | #135
So, another suggestion! If they can't mess with the romance options there are now, why not mess witht he companions who have no romance options?

Jedi Consular can get a M/M romance with Zenith going! F/F would be left out on this one.

Jedi Knight can M/M roamnce with Rusk and/or Scourge! F/F would be left out on this one as well.

Smuggler would likely get left out, as Guss may not be human enough for it.

Trooper can get M/M with Tanno. And yes, F/F left out.

Sith Inquisitor can get M/M with Talos. I think if they extend Khem's storyline they could
Spoiler


Sith Warrior can get F/F with Light Side Jaesa! M/M would be left out on this one.

Imperial Agent can get M/M with Lokin (may-december romance!) and F/F with Scorpio!

Bounty Hunter can get M/M with Skadge maybe with Gault as well if
Spoiler
. No F/F ont his one.

Mind you, the idea with this suggestion is to not change the ones who are romanceable now, but make it so the ones who aren't, can be!

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
02.06.2013 , 06:46 PM | #136
Why on gods green earth would anyone romance skadge...ever...like ever.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
02.06.2013 , 07:08 PM | #137
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
Since we cant see others romance on this game that should make it clear as day to any conspiracy or judgement you have on some people but of course you wont adress this will you. As much as people dislike being called a slur people do not like being branded or acussed of being a bad person when they are not. All threads FOR and AGAINST this should just be shut down and not allowed period. Time to be fair . come on Mr. Gonzales this is a game please just get any opinion of this off the boards its just distracting or push it to suggestion box. This is like beating a dead horse it has become to people who don't know anything about this game as there only point of reference to it this is what the game is known for to the layman. It needs to be a game again this problem was fixed and being added more in the future why even have a thread going. Again NO ONE WILL EXPERIENCE YOUR ROMANCE ARC so stop calling people out and stop allowing people to be called out on what ever what position they choose. Use facts people not emotion.
I'm sorry have you not been reading this thread at all? If you haven't noticed you would see that there are indeed plenty of people who would like to experience this romance arc so that actually makes your point completely invalid. Also what exactly is this "problem" you are referring to? Is your issue with the actual content or the opinions of people who are for and against? Either way this is a very important topic to the playerbase and saying that it should not be discussed on the forums is a form of censorship.

Yes I know it is a discussion that not many people wish to discuss but character development on in every form is very important to people thus it needs to be talked about.

Furthermore, I respectfully disagree with you on the fact that you say that people should not be called out. See this game is dynamic and the stories that our characters go through are unique both to us and to the game world. So when we are able to experience a different aspect of the game, which in this case is romance people will bring their real life opinions on what they perceive to be acceptable or not acceptable. It is for that reason that sometimes people will say negative things and when they do they should be called out because in my mind that is just a underhanded way of telling people they are wrong without getting into trouble. This goes for both sides.

So yes it is a heated topic but it needs to be talked about. Also your right it is a game but it is a game we all enjoy in our own way.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.06.2013 , 08:15 PM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
Why on gods green earth would anyone romance skadge...ever...like ever.
Truthfully, I wonder the same thing about Ashara. But, he's relatively humanoid so I included him with the suggestion.

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
02.06.2013 , 10:51 PM | #139
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Concern? I keep seeing that word. I have no concern what so ever. It's a valid suggestion. Boycotts can work. But you need a large enough consumer base to make it work. Now if the numbers are higher than what I estimated, and it seems to me that many in this thread think it is, then show it in force!

There's obviously some passionate supporters of this. So there's step one. Cost of doing this is...saving money (people are more likely to get involved if it doesnt cost them anything). People can participate without spending a cent! Easy to understand objective for the masses (put in SGR)! And I'm sure people are willing to get the news spread around to various gaming sites for media coverage.

So what exactly is wrong with suggesting such action, when it has shown it can work in other consumer affairs?
How about no ?

Some people, like myself, don't want to leave the game because we like it and are passionate about SGRs too.
So not leaving. Deal with it. I believe this can only improve if the people who cares sticks around. Yours is a ridiculous suggestion at best ( if we are to believe it's a genuine one, which I personally don't )

Ah, and don't pretend not knowing why the word "concern" is being brought up.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.06.2013 , 11:50 PM | #140
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
How about no ?

Some people, like myself, don't want to leave the game because we like it and are passionate about SGRs too.
So not leaving. Deal with it. I believe this can only improve if the people who cares sticks around. Yours is a ridiculous suggestion at best ( if we are to believe it's a genuine one, which I personally don't )

Ah, and don't pretend not knowing why the word "concern" is being brought up.
I really don't. I'm not concerned about it. I want it in for my own personal storylines. But I'm not concerned with it being brought in. I can actually live with it one way or the other, as I'm already doing as such. There is no concern.

As for my suggestion being genuine. Of course it is. But I'm also not one of the posters in the thread saying "I'll quit if it's not brought in" I'm genuinely curious if enough people who say such things are enough to make a difference in player numbers. Is being curious wrong now? Has being curious on an outcome some how bad?

I do like how people seem to forget I'm one of the few to offer up suggestions on possible ways to implement it. What have you suggested?