Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
02.05.2013 , 09:09 PM | #121
**hugs to everyone**

Yeah, some posts got deleted which prompted my DA2 comments. For the record, Anders didn't bother me too much and it was very easy to get the friendship back. Without meaning to, my second play through, everyone was my friend. Not kidding; I didn't have a single rival or neutral party member. They all loved me.

I'm still reading and watching. I've noticed some of the long time posters dealing with those trying to debate with numbers.

Ah, the old "Only a tiny minority is LGBTQ and they are the only ones that want this content; why are they wasting time on this," argument. The greatest hits keep coming and for those that have been here throughout last year, you know what I mean.

I really hate it when those that are "concerned" for us throw around the minority argument. Those numbers also doesn't take into account role players that aren't LGBTQ. There are players out there that want this for sheer role playing reasons. So anytime I see someone claim, "Oh, only a small percentage is LGBTQ, so only they want it," I shake my head. I know for certain that there are both male and females that are straight and want to try this out as well.

So, while there is indeed a small amount of the general population that is anything other than straight, that doesn't account for other factors. Like the fact that players sometimes role play in a story based MMO. Weird, right?

SithKoriandr
02.05.2013 , 09:11 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
Perhaps. Or there's just people with a vast variety of opinions on the subject.

Personally I'm still saying that SGRAs and OGRAs need to be equal in execution, and likewise I expressed a desire to see the option to reset one's companions' stories in the old thread.

Well, surveys have pretty varying results. Anything between 1 and 15% of the population identifies as GLB, depending on where the survey is made.

That also doesn't take other demographics into account for SGR interest, such as the transgender and transsexual.
I'm all for equal execution. I think all those in favor of SGR are. I'm of the thought, that if they finally introduce SGR with current companions (I'm not sure they will), that if they do make it possible from the start of a companions storyline instead of after chapter 3 storylines with them, the reset will be part of it.

Still, some of what is being said okay to now, was outright reviled just a bit ago in the other thread. I think if people want more they need to show it and not go "Okay, I'd accept this." it leads the devs to thinking they can do less.

And you're right, surveys can have varing results, and to be fair, 2-5% tends to be what it's thought to be now, 15% not so much except for long ago. But still, I don't just make up a number. And admittedly, TOR's playerbase could lean towards one direction or the other.

I'm still of the opinion though, that most players just don't care. I get the feeling that that's how the TOR devs are leaning on it as well. If they thought their audience really wanted it, I think we would have seen it added in much sooner with much better options than just chat flirts. But we haven't seen Makeb yet though, so the storyline could have a full blown romance storyline even if it isn't with a companion (well, full blown romance at the level that we saw in say the SI storyline anyways with the female SI).

SithKoriandr
02.05.2013 , 09:19 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
**hugs to everyone**

Yeah, some posts got deleted which prompted my DA2 comments. For the record, Anders didn't bother me too much and it was very easy to get the friendship back. Without meaning to, my second play through everyone was my friend. Not kidding; I didn't have a single rival or neutral party member. They all loved me.

I'm still reading and watching. I've noticed some of the long time posters dealing with those trying to debate with numbers.

Ah, the old "Only a tiny minority is LGBTQ and they are the only ones that want this content; why are they wasting time on this," argument. The greatest hits keep coming and for those that have been here throughout last year, you know what I mean.

I really hate it when those that are "concerned" for us throw around the minority argument. Those numbers also doesn't take into account role players that aren't LGBTQ. There are players out there that want this for sheer role playing reasons. So anytime I see someone claim, "Oh, only a small percentage is LGBTQ, so only they want it," I shake my head. I know for certain that there are both male and females that are straight and want to try this out as well.

So, while there is indeed a small amount of the general population that is anything other than straight, that doesn't account for other factors. Like the fact that players sometimes role play in a story based MMO. Weird, right?
Seeing as how you're very likely talking about me, since I used the percentages. It wasn't concern at all. Reread the post. It said a small percentage of players who really care. I took that number, then figured there's likely SGRs who don't care and OGRs who do to make up for it.

You're also assuming people who are SGR in RL care at all if it's implemented in RL.

Basically that wasn't concenr, that was me saying most don't care and most aren't willing to actually give up the game for it, or else they would have done it already. Voting with your money goes farther. If the devs see a large percentage of players leave for losing out on what they want, they'll focus more on it.

Zandilar
02.05.2013 , 10:40 PM | #124
Speaking of making up numbers... Where the heck did this "wait 3 years for SGRAs" come from?!

Please, if you're going to accuse another poster of making up numbers, don't make them up yourself.

(If there is an official source with the three years figure, I'll stand corrected, until then I'm just assuming it's Eeore speaking again.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Wittand
02.06.2013 , 01:31 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Speaking of making up numbers... Where the heck did this "wait 3 years for SGRAs" come from?!

Please, if you're going to accuse another poster of making up numbers, don't make them up yourself.

(If there is an official source with the three years figure, I'll stand corrected, until then I'm just assuming it's Eeore speaking again.)
There has been an SGRA thread since two years before launch, if I am not mistaken, and since it is now one year after the launch the sum total would be three years.

A qick internet search proved me wrong. The no gays in starwars incident happened in 2009 and the first thread asking/discussing same gender romantic content started shortly after making it almost four years now.

Zandilar
02.06.2013 , 03:42 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Wittand View Post
There has been an SGRA thread since two years before launch, if I am not mistaken, and since it is now one year after the launch the sum total would be three years.

A qick internet search proved me wrong. The no gays in starwars incident happened in 2009 and the first thread asking/discussing same gender romantic content started shortly after making it almost four years now.
Okay, so they're counting time before launch. That wasn't very clear, but then I've been so frustrated with this thread lately that I've taken to just skimming it rather than actually reading it - so maybe I missed something.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Tatile
02.06.2013 , 05:09 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
I made that up because I am of a negative opinion on how long Bioware expects us to wait for content that should have been made available at launch, especially so considering that their latest statement on the subject did not concede that point.

I have no clue why people seem to be quoting me as fact, though.

SithKoriandr
02.06.2013 , 07:55 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I made that up because I am of a negative opinion on how long Bioware expects us to wait for content that should have been made available at launch, especially so considering that their latest statement on the subject did not concede that point.

Same gender romance/flirt options have been confirmed for Rise of the Hutt Cartel and beyond, per Jeff Hickman's State of the Blog #2. Players are more than welcome to express their opinions about this, but please do so while being respectful of each other.

...There you go. RotHC is how long they expect you to wait. At which point SGR options become available. Whether it should have been made available at launch is a matter of your opinion and nothing more.

Of course the first message in this thread says stay civil, and notice how some of the regulars in this thread can't seem to stay civil to anyone who doesn't agree 100% with them on what has happened, what should happen, or how it could/should happen?

I find that interresting too.

wainot-keel
02.06.2013 , 10:54 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Of course the first message in this thread says stay civil, and notice how some of the regulars in this thread can't seem to stay civil to anyone who doesn't agree 100% with them on what has happened, what should happen, or how it could/should happen?

I find that interresting too.
Really ? And you don't see why ? I find that interesting.

You twist people's words and make statements as if that purposely twisted version is the current consensus in the thread. You take stuffy's opinion and make it sound like it's the current consensus of the whole thread.
And then, with few posts between, you manage to suggest, out of concern, that people who want this content should quit the game as the best course of action. Right.

wainot-keel
02.06.2013 , 10:58 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post

Well, I think maybe you got short with the negativity. You're definetely slacking
Sadly, apparentely 3 years seem to be a plausible number so people aren't disregarding this as a ludicrous "estimation"