Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Playing Lightning Spec Sorc

paowee's Avatar


paowee
01.30.2013 , 04:51 PM | #1
[edit: i realize i posted in the wrong forum. please move to the Sorcerer section. Thanks!]


Hello! I've been playing my Sorc alt for a while now and am experimenting with Lightning Spec. Any thoughts about my rotation / ability priority list?

1. Affliction
2. Thundering Blast
3. Crushing Darkness
4. Instant Chain Lightning
5. Hasted Force Lightning
6. Lightning Strike

Cooldowns: Use Recklessness with Hasted Force Lightning. Use Polarity Shift on cooldown when you don't need to refresh Affliction (and hopefully no Instant Chain Lightning Proc as well).

I start with: CrD - Aff - Thundering Blast - (spam Lightning Strike)
I use Hasted FL if it procs. I use Instant CL when it procs. Otherwise I keep Aff up, TB and CrD on cooldown and then just spamming Lightning Strike.

For some reason i'm doing a little bit lower DPS as Lightning compared to when I do Full Madness. Something seems to be wrong
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Ghost_Spectre's Avatar


Ghost_Spectre
01.30.2013 , 06:18 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
For some reason i'm doing a little bit lower DPS as Lightning compared to when I do Full Madness. Something seems to be wrong
You are correct, something is wrong. It was the nerf from gawd during 1.2. I was Lightning spec Sorcerer until a month ago when I changed over to hybrid (20/21 - Lightning/Madness). It is a crying shame that one has to do this to put up any DPS numbers that account for anything, especially in PvP. PvE it is still passible but you still have issues of casting times to get off Thundering Blast, or trying to use Lightning Strike while hoping Chain Lightning procs up so you can fire that off instantly. The damage ability for Lightning is the worst spec for Sorcerer doing DPS. Right now, I run hybrid in both PvE & PvP; no need to change up until such time BW fixes the problem with the Lightning tree.
Azumi Veng Juggernaut Imperius Deception Sin Demonicus Healing Sorceress
Tempest TK Sage Requiem Guardian Tank Sei-Cair Gunnery Commando
Starchild Legacy Jedi Convenant Guild Light/Dark Holiday

Rincewend's Avatar


Rincewend
02.06.2013 , 03:49 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghost_Spectre View Post
You are correct, something is wrong. It was the nerf from gawd during 1.2. I was Lightning spec Sorcerer until a month ago when I changed over to hybrid (20/21 - Lightning/Madness). It is a crying shame that one has to do this to put up any DPS numbers that account for anything, especially in PvP. PvE it is still passible but you still have issues of casting times to get off Thundering Blast, or trying to use Lightning Strike while hoping Chain Lightning procs up so you can fire that off instantly. The damage ability for Lightning is the worst spec for Sorcerer doing DPS. Right now, I run hybrid in both PvE & PvP; no need to change up until such time BW fixes the problem with the Lightning tree.
Also you have to becareful with Chain lighting breaking CC in PVE and PVP. So if you have CC's close to you focus target you have to drop it out or face breaking the cc early (killing the Op or releaseing a full resolved PVP on you).

For Lighting to keep up you pretty much have to be perfect on everything and never miss a cast. (movement fights will kill your DPS numbers). My guild will take my sorc on most runs with us, but most times they rather have my sniper for the dps numbers, and the armor debuff. I am min/max PVE only missing the Mk-4 ear running rakata for the better willpower over the black hole mk-1. But lighting strike hits for 1k in HM FP and crits for 2k best I have seen on my parser. But check AskMrRobot, most of the sorc's if not all putting up high number are madness or hybrid madness since 1.2 nerf.

BrittD's Avatar


BrittD
02.15.2013 , 11:21 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghost_Spectre View Post
You are correct, something is wrong. It was the nerf from gawd during 1.2. I was Lightning spec Sorcerer until a month ago when I changed over to hybrid (20/21 - Lightning/Madness). It is a crying shame that one has to do this to put up any DPS numbers that account for anything, especially in PvP. PvE it is still passible but you still have issues of casting times to get off Thundering Blast, or trying to use Lightning Strike while hoping Chain Lightning procs up so you can fire that off instantly. The damage ability for Lightning is the worst spec for Sorcerer doing DPS. Right now, I run hybrid in both PvE & PvP; no need to change up until such time BW fixes the problem with the Lightning tree.
Can you tell me how you speced hybrid? I have been wanting to go hybrid but I have been hesitant about my numbers. :-/

Firebyrde's Avatar


Firebyrde
03.26.2013 , 06:38 PM | #5
Apologies for playing Devil's Advocate here, but I out-dps both my guildies and pugs (and my server has some high end guild alt pugs that clear TFB HM) with Lightning Spec of 3/31/7. I will admit to being a highly meticulous player who rarely misses a rotation, able to assess a spot in most raids and cycle through rotations without moving by near-perfect timing, and being well geared. *shrug* It reminds me of playing an Elemental Shaman in WoW. I enjoy the challenge where you need sheer skill to come out on top of the meters. True, I can't drunk-play or faceroll through a raid, but that's not my style anyway

Ghost_Spectre's Avatar


Ghost_Spectre
03.27.2013 , 03:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by BrittD View Post
Can you tell me how you speced hybrid? I have been wanting to go hybrid but I have been hesitant about my numbers. :-/
My apologies, I lost track of time here you go. This is what I'm using currently: 25/16. For 2.0, I will use 30/16 based on the current set up for the Sorcerer.
Azumi Veng Juggernaut Imperius Deception Sin Demonicus Healing Sorceress
Tempest TK Sage Requiem Guardian Tank Sei-Cair Gunnery Commando
Starchild Legacy Jedi Convenant Guild Light/Dark Holiday

Mystifieduk's Avatar


Mystifieduk
03.28.2013 , 10:34 PM | #7
So many bosses have aoe abilities that cause pushback on casts, lightning and corruption suffer it the most.

Ghost_Spectre's Avatar


Ghost_Spectre
03.29.2013 , 07:59 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mystifieduk View Post
So many bosses have aoe abilities that cause pushback on casts, lightning and corruption suffer it the most.
That is why I stand back at my max range to attack. If that's not possible I'm constantly relocating to allow for me to get through a couple of full rotations. If I can and must, I'll stay put at 31+ meters (thank you Lightning Spire) and spam LS and CL. I can still use Force Storm and Death Field because of the range of the AoE itself.
Azumi Veng Juggernaut Imperius Deception Sin Demonicus Healing Sorceress
Tempest TK Sage Requiem Guardian Tank Sei-Cair Gunnery Commando
Starchild Legacy Jedi Convenant Guild Light/Dark Holiday