Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GTX 680 - Poor Performance, looking for tips.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
GTX 680 - Poor Performance, looking for tips.

MikeTheDuke
02.05.2013 , 05:43 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Have you disabled the windows pagefile if your playing on a SSD ?, that will likely ruin the SSD faster by writing more times then it needs.
The page file isn't used for increased disk speeds. Disabling the page file may have some drastic effects on the overall performance of windows. I run the game of an SSD but keep windows on a normal drive. The page file is used for active process memory archiving and low priority memory. Each process's memory is given a priority, some of it, like the Kernel will never be paged, other processes will be paged a lot, this is all down to the priority.

To increase the performance, I have found, and this is only guess, trying setting PhysX to be the GPU, the default is Auto. Because the CPU is a good one, it will use the CPU, but the CPU is slower at processing all of the physics on screen and sicne you say that it is areas of high activity, try that. Ambient Occlusion and FXAA you don't need to turn this on in nvidia inspector as they are available in the nvidia control panel.

Ambient Occusion is new in a lot of rendering and take a lot of GPU resources, it isn't really needed in my opinion to make this game look good. What other AA settings have you on. If you are using in game settings AND control panel settings, FXAA might not be needed. I have FXAA on, and AA High in game. My card is worse than yours, but the rest of the specs are the same.
I post about Star Wars on my blog. Check it out
http://xnagamedeveloper.wordpress.co...ory/star-wars/
MikeDodgers @YouTube

nattodaisuki
02.05.2013 , 08:28 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Tazak View Post
Just to make sure I did not misinterpret it, here is a screencap: CPU-Z Cap

Just a reminder, I'm running 12GB 1600MHz RAM.
You might have a 1600MHz ram, but you sure aren't running it at 1600MHz.
Your CPU-Z screenshot is that proof. You're running that memory at 1048MHz and probably need to enable the XMP profile in your Bios, or force it to run at 1600MHz.

Also
Quote:
-- i7-950 @ 3.6GHz
This is a 1st Generation Core i7 Processor (Bloomfield)

In comparison, its about the same processing power as a Ivy Bridge (3rd Gen) Core i5 3330, which is in the low-end of the Core i5 Series.
Reference : CPU Benchmarks @ Passmark : Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
Looking at the chart... it's even beaten by the "gimped" AMD FX-6200 Six core CPU!

You've also written that you Overclocked this CPU.

My conclusion:
Since you tried everything the former people have suggested with no avail...
Your old overclocked CPU has been damaged or is wearing out. (still might run other non-cpu intensive games okay, but.. )
Remember, overclocking shortens the life-span of your CPU and this is a 3+ year old CPU AND shortens the life-span of your other components ( mainly your motherboard, memory and PSU )

Besides the rig in my sig, I've got a quad-core Core i5 3570K, 8GB memory and a Geforce GTX 660Ti, and it runs at 60fps on fleet and 60+ fps elsewhere. no problems whatsoever.
My slightly over-spec Rig, built specifically for Swtor: Core i7 3820 OC'ed @4.6GHz / MSI X79A-GD65 Mobo / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz 8GB x8 / Four 120GB 6Gb/s SSD in RAID0 / nVidia GTX Titan / Enermax Platimax 1200 watt PSU / 3 Acer HN274Hbmiiid 3D Compatible 27inch monitors. CPU and the GTX Titan are custom water-cooled.