Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

power augs or aim augs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
power augs or aim augs

smellmop's Avatar


smellmop
02.05.2013 , 03:41 PM | #1
Quick survey

PVP DPS Assault Vanguard

Augment every piece with Power augments? or Aim augments? *yes I know they are called something else but the names elude me atm*

I was thinking aim made the most sense as one could get the maximum use from the middle skill on the second tier of the shield specialist tree.

What is your advice oh forum goers?
-Tarro Blood -> Corellian Run -> The Shadowlands-
Gunslinger: Hasenbensoba Vanguard: Ajmurphy; Scoundrel: Obi'haave; Sorcerer: Impossibreu Guardian: Shrėk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=labL_KAD2rk

MDR_WeedKnight's Avatar


MDR_WeedKnight
02.05.2013 , 03:44 PM | #2
Run the power overkill augments.

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
02.05.2013 , 04:14 PM | #3
In my opinion always go with mainstat augments. This is especially true if you're putting points in the Aim bonus. The bonus to crit is worth the small loss in bonus damage and should let you fully replace one crit enhancement or mod with a power one somewhere else for an overall better gain.
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
The next EA/Bioware employee that ever thinks adding more CC to this game is a good idea? Fire them. Don't give them 2 weeks notice. Have security escort them to the door. Thank you in advance.

UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
02.05.2013 , 04:20 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by smellmop View Post
Quick survey

PVP DPS Assault Vanguard

Augment every piece with Power augments? or Aim augments? *yes I know they are called something else but the names elude me atm*

I was thinking aim made the most sense as one could get the maximum use from the middle skill on the second tier of the shield specialist tree.

What is your advice oh forum goers?
I actually JUST finished testing both... at a very high cost. I ran the aim heavy build with a 7/3/31 and aim augments and then tried the 2/8/31 build with power augments...

Go power. drop crit chance and stack power. I think my crit rating is at 159 or so... considering most of your damage is yellow (tech) and only rapid shots and rail shot are white (ranged) you can afford to drop crit since you get perks from buffs and spec for increased crit chance on rail shot and your tech crit chance will still be at around 30% which is where most of your damage comes from anyways.

I know many will say aim but after testing myself... me and all the other PT's in my guild who have all tested it at some point all ended up with the power build. I noticed a nice increase in over all damage. Some even drop crit rating more but I prefer mine at the 159 rating it's at now.

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
02.05.2013 , 04:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
I actually JUST finished testing both... at a very high cost. I ran the aim heavy build with a 7/3/31 and aim augments and then tried the 2/8/31 build with power augments...

Go power. drop crit chance and stack power. I think my crit rating is at 159 or so... considering most of your damage is yellow (tech) and only rapid shots and rail shot are white (ranged) you can afford to drop crit since you get perks from buffs and spec for increased crit chance on rail shot and your tech crit chance will still be at around 30% which is where most of your damage comes from anyways.

I know many will say aim but after testing myself... me and all the other PT's in my guild who have all tested it at some point all ended up with the power build. I noticed a nice increase in over all damage. Some even drop crit rating more but I prefer mine at the 159 rating it's at now.
Damn the cost, but why didn't you test 2/8/31 with power augments? And then test it again with one less crit mod/enhancement and one more power mod/enhancement?

I mean 2/8/31 may just be that much better of a spec.
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
The next EA/Bioware employee that ever thinks adding more CC to this game is a good idea? Fire them. Don't give them 2 weeks notice. Have security escort them to the door. Thank you in advance.

UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
02.05.2013 , 04:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Damn the cost, but why didn't you test 2/8/31 with power augments? And then test it again with one less crit mod/enhancement and one more power mod/enhancement?

I mean 2/8/31 may just be that much better of a spec.
I def played around with a lot of things... dropping certain stats and stacking others, different builds, etc. I went a lot further than what I described but as far as the aim vs power this is the only part I thought was necessary.

I've probably done more testing and playing with specs and builds with my PT than with any other class. I think with other classes it's pretty cut and dry, at least with the sorc and marauder I knew exactly what was working better and quicker. With the PT it seemed like it took more testing and was more difficult to see a difference, it's less of a variance.

I think the biggest problem and my problem at first was focusing too much on the damage output of rail shot... I felt like that should be the focus... much like many others obviously do but when you look at the tech vs ranged aspect of it... how much damage is really coming from rail shot in comparison?

Yes.... it's often and an important part of the spec... but is it worth the trade off when you're using so many tech attacks to set up that ONE ranged ability. With this build my RS is still hitting for 4-4.5K on average... still the occasional 5k+ RS from time to time but more importantly... my tech damage is noticeably higher.

Flame burst often hitting for over 2K, Rocket punch for 3-3.5, explosive dart hitting for 2-3k and my thermal detonator is hitting for 4.5-5.5K.

On top of that death from above is hitting many target for 1200+ a hit and I even see 2k hits in there once in a while.

cultivatedmass's Avatar


cultivatedmass
02.05.2013 , 04:32 PM | #7
the difference is insignificant.

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
02.05.2013 , 04:35 PM | #8
i use the 7/3/31 build and run w/ aim augs.

works well
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
02.05.2013 , 04:38 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
I def played around with a lot of things... dropping certain stats and stacking others, different builds, etc. I went a lot further than what I described but as far as the aim vs power this is the only part I thought was necessary.

I've probably done more testing and playing with specs and builds with my PT than with any other class. I think with other classes it's pretty cut and dry, at least with the sorc and marauder I knew exactly what was working better and quicker. With the PT it seemed like it took more testing and was more difficult to see a difference, it's less of a variance.
I think thats because of the abundance of good talents low in the trees that are, nevertheless in like tier two of stuff which means you have to choose (why that aim buff is in tier 2 of the tanking tree I'll never know).

Still less of a variance seems to indicate that it doesn't really matter as far as augments are concerned, which to be fair was always the case. In classes without a main stat buff talent it was always about 1% crit for about 5 total bonus damage.

Still I'd like to know more about your testing if you don't mind. What'd you try what were the results etc. PM me if you get bored and can spare the time?
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
The next EA/Bioware employee that ever thinks adding more CC to this game is a good idea? Fire them. Don't give them 2 weeks notice. Have security escort them to the door. Thank you in advance.

UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
02.05.2013 , 04:41 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
I think thats because of the abundance of good talents low in the trees that are, nevertheless in like tier two of stuff which means you have to choose (why that aim buff is in tier 2 of the tanking tree I'll never know).

Still less of a variance seems to indicate that it doesn't really matter (which to be fair was almost always the case. In classes without a main stat buff talent it was always about 1% crit for about 5 total bonus damage).

Still I'd like to know more about your testing if you don't mind. What'd you try what were the results etc. PM me if you get bored and can spare the time?
Check edit... I went into some more detail about the root of why I think it's better. I can shoot ya my TS info as well... prob not gonna be on until late tonight and will be on less in the next few weeks. (getting married friday)

But in the end... I noticed that when tech damage went up my over all damage went up significantly.... when another guildie broke it down in the same way I did... it actually makes a lot of sense.

But like many I was too concentrated on my rail shot damage which is a waste of stats IMO.