Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

All the world's a stage

Earthmama
01.29.2013 , 07:09 PM | #61
I adore this!! I love Lokin, he's always been fascinating!

Syart
01.31.2013 , 12:58 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
<3

Loving the action. Looking forward to seeing how careers unfold.
Quote: Originally Posted by Earthmama View Post
I adore this!! I love Lokin, he's always been fascinating!
Thank you both, always glad to please

I find Lokin the most interesting of all the companions, once I'd got over him stalking me round Taris and then turning into a rakghoul, which was a little offputting
Control, passion, diligence: these three principles shape your world.

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

Syart
01.31.2013 , 01:02 PM | #63
"About another minute until my stealth generator resets", whispered Lokin. "Then I'll go and check the route to the pods." He felt the movement of Cirean's nod.

Working by touch, he extracted an auger from his toolkit and quietly bored a small hole through a joint in the panel, enlarging it just enough to fit a tiny flexible camera. There was nothing visible in the corridor. He cracked open the hatch, activated his generator and slid out, silently pushing the hatch closed again behind him.

They were close to the escape pods already, just a few yards to the passageway, but the doors to the pods were out of sight and a guard might be posted, if the Republic were sufficiently intelligent and paranoid.

They weren't, or at least not to that extent. He went back to the maintenance hatch, opened it, beckoned Cirean out and they both went to the nearest pod. Cirean sealed the hatch while Lokin checked the pod's status. It was still disconnected from the main systems and with the automated engine firing routine disabled, so no-one had found Twelve's work in Engineering. He ejected the pod, which, without further impetus, hovered close to the Warhammer, appearing simply as a lump of debris if anyone noticed it on the sensors.

Lokin sent the pre-arranged signal to the Intelligence patrol craft. Within minutes, it arrived in full stealth mode, clamped the pod to itself, and retreated swiftly.

Once at a safe distance, the clamps were released and the patrol ship pilot manouevred his craft until the two could dock.

While they waited, Lokin and Cirean discussed their options. Both wanted to get Twelve out, if it was humanly possible; Cirean because she loved him, Lokin because Twelve and Cirean were the closest friends he'd ever had, and there was no way he was going to let them down.

"But if we report in to HQ, or if the captain has already reported, they'll just order us straight back to Dromund Kaas. There's no chance we'll get authorisation for a rescue mission", said Cirean dully.

"So we don't report in", said Lokin. "The captain won't have made a report yet, he was to maintain a total communications blackout until after the pickup. If we don't talk to HQ, they can't order anything."

"We're not Ciphers, we don't have the authority to make decisions like this." She was frustrated and close to tears again.

"We're part of a Cipher team." Lokin shrugged. "I imagine that will be close enough for the captain - if we just go for it, he won't think to question the orders until later."

She nodded. "You can do the talking then, you can blag your way through anything." She tried a smile.

He put his arm round her shoulders. "We'll sort this, Cirean. I promise."

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

Syart
02.01.2013 , 01:07 PM | #64
The Corellian Pride was an Interdictor class cruiser, one with which Lokin was very familiar. Cirean knew the ship's general layout but not in so much detail as Lokin. They'd agreed that she would 'acquire' a Republic uniform and head for Engineering, there to replicate Twelve's work and set up at least one escape pod for covert exit as before.

While she was getting to Engineering, Lokin would use the network of maintenance access tubes and air ducts to get to the medical bays and find out exactly where Twelve was. Once he'd located Twelve, he would assess the situation and instruct Cirean which escape pod or pods needed fixing and what else might need doing, such as switching off security cams, overriding door locks and suchlike.

What happened after that depended on Twelve's condition. Dead, alive, if allive, how badly injured. They had a number of possibilities, but decisions had to wait until Lokin had found him and assessed the situation.

The defector Carn Ban was irrelevant. He would be dead in a few hours anyway.

The Intelligence stealth patroller dropped them a short distance from an external maintenance hatch by the Pride's docking bay and then retreated again. Using compressed air jets Lokin and Cirean moved themselves up to the hatch, where Lokin slowly and carefully removed the handle and disarmed the alarm circuits. He replaced the handle and opened it. They did not enter immediately, but waited a few minutes to be sure there was no alarm.

There was no alarm. Once inside, they sealed the hatch again and shed their spacesuits. The maintenance tube terminated in a small alcove in one corner of the hangar and they would be able to observe the hangar without being easily noticed, hoping to catch some unsuspecting Rep with a uniform of approximately the right size.

Luck was on their side. A pair of engineers, one man and one woman, were working on a terminal close by, behind a pile of crates and not in direct sight of any other crew member or holocams.

Lokin and Cirean looked at each other and nodded. They didn't need any discussion; it wasn't by any means their first time in this situation. Lokin activated his stealth generator on the wide field setting and they moved quickly and silently behind the two engineers, Cirean garotting the woman and Lokin slicing his vibroknife into the back of the man's neck, severing his spinal cord. Both caught their victims as they fell and eased them gently to the ground. Perfect kills, quick, clean and silent.

They stripped the two bodies and dragged them into the maintenance tube. Cirean changed quickly into the woman's uniform, which fitted well enough. She stuffed the man's uniform into the woman's toolcase to pass to Lokin later if needed, gave him a brief hug, then walked casually round the crates and out across the main hangar.

Syart
02.05.2013 , 01:48 PM | #65
It was a long, hot and dirty crawl through maintenance tubes, air ducts and cable conduits from the hangar all the way up to the medical bays. But again, luck was on Lokin's side; there wasn't any active maintenance going on and the ship didn't have alarms or sensors fitted in any of the tubes.

Sloppy, thought Lokin. He wasn't complaining, it made his job easy, but really showed up the lack of foresight and intelligence in the Republic military and SIS. Sleepwalking Idiots Service, he decided.

Cirean contacted him when he was about half way, confirming that she was safely in Engineering, unchallenged, and about to start hacking into the ship's computer.

About fifteen minutes later, she confirmed that she had access, and was starting to scan the medical bays. He told her to ignore the bigger bays with multiple beds, reasoning that Garbh would want Twelve kept on his own, and she quickly confirmed that Twelve was in the fourth of the six individual bays, from the direction Lokin was moving. The first bay held a trooper with both legs in the process of being splinted by med droids, the third, fifth and sixth were empty. The second held Carn Ban, and it appeared he was already in the throes of his heart attack.

Lokin could hear the urgent medical orders and beeping alarms from Ban's medical bay as he crawled up the main air duct outside the med bays, and he grinned to himself.

It was several hours earlier than he had expected, but it was an excellent distraction. It was unlikely that anyone would be paying much attention to what happened in the other bays while the medics tried in vain to get Ban revived.

The individual bays all had their own separate ducts which could be isolated from the main channels by sliding baffles and ray shields, vital for any anti-infective quarantine, but also much narrower than the main channel and difficult to move through. But it was the only way without being caught trying to get into the bay from outside.

He squeezed himself in and inched up the narrow duct until he could see through the ventilation grille. Twelve was alone apart from a med droid which was standing passively to one side. He whispered through the comlink to Cirean, telling her that he was in position and to override the security holocam.

He waited for Cirean to confirm that she'd got control of the holocam, then he cautiously eased off the ventilation grille, and pushed it just enough to one side so that he could get a clear view of the droid. He sliced its circuits remotely, and it froze in place, quivering gently with a few sparks running up and down from its overridden circuits.

He pushed the grille all the way to the side and dropped into the room.

iamthehoyden
02.05.2013 , 02:03 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Syart View Post
... SIS. Sleepwalking Idiots Service,
Lol, I like that.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Beniboybling
02.05.2013 , 03:50 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Lol, I like that.
I second that.

Syart
02.08.2013 , 01:20 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Lol, I like that.
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I second that.
The medical sciences adore acronyms

Syart
02.08.2013 , 01:25 PM | #69
He was appalled at the extent of Twelve's injuries. The man was unconscious and his skin was dead grey-white and cold to the touch. His pulse was barely perceptible, thin, weak and thready, and his breathing was fast, shallow and difficult. There were severe contusions and bruising to his face, but at least his eyes were unharmed. His right shoulder was smashed and all the bones in that arm broken. The arm was roughly splinted but Lokin couldn't tell whether the bones were set properly and the shoulder certainly needed surgery. There were first, second and third degree plasma burns to his legs and abdomen. They'd been covered with Skinseal plastifilm spray but nothing further appeared to have been done. The chest wounds had been covered by a loose bandage, but when he peeled it back, he discovered to his horror that the wounds were still open and oozing, white splinters of ribs penetrating the lungs. It was a miracle that Twelve was still breathing at all.

He hissed some curses under his breath, and whispered to Cirean. "He's in bad shape, flaming gundark turds have basically just sedated him, thrown a couple of kolto packs in his direction and walked off! He's in hypovolaemic shock and they haven't even closed his chest wounds! He needs urgent surgery and then he'll be in a tank for weeks! If I find the medic who treated him I swear he'll die the slowest and most painful death I can ..."

"Eckard, concentrate! Can he be moved?" Somehow they'd changed roles; Lokin was now the furious unthinking one and Cirean was keeping a cool head and planning strategy.

"No, not as he is. I wouldn't even risk moving the bed right now, he needs immediate repair of his chest wall. One of these bone splinters could be fatal if it shifted in the wrong direction."

"Do whatever you can", she whispered back. "The pods are fixed, and I'm safely holed up in an empty storage room. I'm still hacked into the bridge computers. Should be able to cut power, set alarms off, do something to create another diversion if you need one.”

“All right.” Lokin turned back to Twelve and took several deep, calming breaths. You're a doctor, he told himself. This is a patient. He needs treatment. You've assessed him, now deal with it.

Fortunately medical bays the galaxy over are all much the same. Lokin found what he needed in a few minutes, scrubbed himself under the steriliser, and returned to Twelve's bedside. As he gently fitted an oxygen mask over Twelve's battered face and inserted an IV line, he muttered more imprecations against the Republic, who claimed and preached compassion amongst their other lies.

Half an hour later, the former dead grey-whiteness of Twelve's skin was giving way to a more normal pink flush, and his temperature was up a degree again. An infusion of artificial platelets and intravenous fluids had brought his oxygen saturation and blood pressure to a much more healthy level, his heart rate had dropped and the pulse was much stronger. His breathing was still shallow and rapid, but the lung punctures were sealed, the splintered ribs removed, and the chest wounds closed. It was only preliminary surgery, a lot more repair needed to be done, but at least Twelve was no longer on the verge of death.

Lokin called Cirean again. “Good news and bad news. I've stabilised him and he's got a much better chance of survival now. Bad news, still not a good idea to move him far or fast.”

Spoiler

iamthehoyden
02.09.2013 , 09:43 AM | #70
I love the medical detail in this. It makes it a much richer story, more immersive.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box