Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Leveling a vanguard

Bice
01.31.2013 , 08:48 PM | #1
Hi, i am really wanting to roll a vanguard, since i feel like they'd fit my playstyle greatly, but i am not sure what to level as, i want to be DPS. But which tree is better for leveling as DPS, Tactics or Assault?

Zalekanzer
01.31.2013 , 09:36 PM | #2
Assault is the highest potential DPS tree for Vanguard.
<The Harbinger> Anzer Katzin Requiel Zevka Katzera

Natharon
02.01.2013 , 10:19 AM | #3
I leveled as assault, but you can do fine with either dps tree. The one thing I can tell you is don't level as tank spec. Idiots level as tanks, toss guard on their Dorne and still nearly die while trying to take twice as long to kill the same mob, I on assault spec, just murdered.

For you pro's leveling as would be tanks, you want to know what can out hate Dorne's heals? Any dps spec. Or a taunt.
♠The Natharon Legacy♠
I Didn't Win The Blue Ribbon, But It Is In My Possession.
<WAR>

Talon_Starfire
02.01.2013 , 05:12 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Natharon View Post
I leveled as assault, but you can do fine with either dps tree. The one thing I can tell you is don't level as tank spec. Idiots level as tanks, toss guard on their Dorne and still nearly die while trying to take twice as long to kill the same mob, I on assault spec, just murdered.

For you pro's leveling as would be tanks, you want to know what can out hate Dorne's heals? Any dps spec. Or a taunt.
Why do you say idiots go tank spec aren't tanks good at surviving?
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

steave
02.02.2013 , 06:24 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Natharon View Post

Being a powertech I have no idea who Dorne is, but you should level with the spec you intend to play at 50. It is REALLY noticeable when someone has leveled as DPS and then switch to tank when they reach max level, the lack of practice with the role and spec while leveling makes a massive difference.
Assuming Dorne is your healer though, bring a DPS companion instead to speed it up.

ZeroPlus
02.04.2013 , 05:31 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_Starfire View Post
Why do you say idiots go tank spec aren't tanks good at surviving?
Thanks
Not agreeing with the "idiot" part.

Just want to comment on what was trying to be conveyed. Tanks (any tank) will take 2-3 times longer to kill a single mob compared to a DPS. That is why many think that it is faster to level as a DPS.

I don't agree.

A Tank (any tank) will live 2-3 times longer against a hard hitting mob compared to a DPS and against normal mobs you take almost no damage compared to a DPS. You can level just as fast as a DPS (some would argue, faster than a DPS). You just have to play to your strength as a Tank.

When levelling as a Tank you have to take into account your main strength: SURVIVABILITY. So, instead of fighting one mob at a time and taking forever to do it, fight groups of mobs at the same time and use your Area of Effect (AoE) attacks to kill them. As a Tank you can take on 5-6 mobs at the same time and kill them all in roughly the same time it would take you to kill 1 mob.

Not only does this let you level just as fast as a DPS, but it actually "trains" you to be a better tank. With so many mobs on you, you HAVE TO:
  • use your defensive cooldowns (which makes using your defensive cooldowns second nature when you get into group content)
  • damage every single mob as often as you can with every attack you can (which means that you will get into the habit of positioning mobs so that you can hit them all with your attacks, which means that when you get into group content you will have no problems gathering all the mobs to you and having them attack you (in other words: holding aggro))
  • play as zoomed out as you can (so you can view the "battlefield" properly to pick up strays, to better position mobs, and when in a group setting it means that you will often be the first to see the patrol heading your way and be ready for it even when others aren't)
  • you become very aware of just how "fragile" you are (just how much damage you can take, how long you (and your healer) need to recover from a fight, when to "charge in", when to "go slow", etc...)

If you really want to level as a tank you can do so and do so quite well. It is stressfull but it is also very rewarding. It is great to hear from a total stranger "great tanking!".
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

Vulkus
02.05.2013 , 03:29 PM | #7
I actually have a Van tank and I am by far no "idiot". As the previous poster stated, you learn your limits and press to better yourself. I PVP as a tank too. True I'm a new 50 but I know my mechanics and I hold my own nicely even with limited high end gear. I've actually been shopping around for a fresh take as I wouldn't mind checking out DPS but as for tanking, I got it down just fine. I wish BW would hurry up and give us a dual spec set up so folks can play around with other builds or give us back the hybrid tank/dps everyone cried was so overpowered to get nerfed.

ButteredSoul
02.12.2013 , 08:22 PM | #8
Leveling my alt Vanguard... now 26, as a tank.

ZeroPlus knows what's up. I would only add that grouping for Heroics is really easy too when you're using the tank tree. DPS are easy to find. In a pinch you can even 3-man it with 2 dps and Dorne as your companion healer. Did a 4 man heroic like that last night. Just use those CDs, keep aggro, and make nice little clusters of enemies with harpoon.

If you're getting annoyed with the time it takes to kill things, just use one of your dps pets. I find that enemies die quickly.

Also, in a group don't Guard Dorne/Heals... Guard the best dps.

Then again, what do I know? I'm an idiot.

TenTigers
02.12.2013 , 10:58 PM | #9
Tanks are slow to level? lol.

Just by BEING a tank I outlevel all my friends via Flashpoints. I level faster and I am better geared. Hell, my COMPANION healer is better equipped than most players I come across.

Thrombin
02.14.2013 , 06:16 PM | #10
I like to level as tank because I find group play a bit stressful and you can solo more content as a tank. There are some fights I'd never be able to solo as dps.