Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Man in the Box

iamthehoyden
02.04.2013 , 08:45 PM | #31

Jese stood with Felix's arm around her as the wind blew the sand back over Qyzen's grave. There was no marker. Just the huge arching krayt dragon rib bones above and the small pile of old bones where his father had fallen long ago. In a moment, Tatooine erased any sign of Qyzen, as though he'd never been there. Jese wiped away the tears that streamed down her face. Felix brushed away a couple tears of his own. He hugged her tight to him.

"You okay?" he asked, looking down at her.

She nodded, swallowing once, her brows tight as she watched the sands swirl across the dunes. "A couple Trandoshan hunters contacted me on the way here," she said quietly, "to hear the story of how the legend had gone to meet the Scorekeeper."

"He'll be remembered."

"I need a moment here," she said, "I'll meet you back at the ship."

He nodded and kissed her forehead, heading back to the outpost to catch a speeder.

Jese stood in a moment in the blazing sun and then knelt down in the sands, next to the old piles of bones. "Scorekeeper," she whispered, tears making her voice thick, "this warrior honored me with his friendship, his respect. He followed me into danger without flinching, faced down overwhelming odds time and again. I honor him for his bravery." She swallowed. "Please keep watch over him now." She stood and looked down at the smooth expanse that covered the grave for a long moment. "Good bye, old friend," she whispered as tears streamed down her face.

Her face was grim when she got back to the ship. Ouzel's ship had been checked over, tracking devices removed, logs datamined by SIS, and every item of the Sith's oblitorated. For now, while their ship was being repaired, it would do. Nadia, Tharan, and Zenith had returned to their makeshift stations after they'd taken Qyzen's body to its resting place, but now the ship was quiet as the crew found company in their thoughts. Jese found Felix on the bridge and the sight of him checking over the controls, as always, let something inside her relax for a moment. The love they shared was as strong as ever, steady and sure, even through all of this. He turned to smile a sad smile at her, and she smiled back and then her smile died. He raised an eyebrow.

"Has he been difficult to keep in check?" she asked, walking over to him.

He shook his head. "Not even a little," he said, "it's like he's not even trying."

"I need to speak to him."

"Jese..."

She crossed her arms. "We've put this off long enough."

He sighed and nodded. "Ten minutes." Then his face shifted, and Tothav blinked at her for a moment. He gathered himself together and gave her a small bow.

"What can I do for you, little Jedi?" he asked, his voice more uncertain than arrogant.

Jese was silent for a moment. "I just came from burying a friend," she finally said.

Tothav nodded slowly, his eyes watchful.

"A friend you helped kill."

He frowned irritably. "I told Ouzel to take you alive. It is hardly my fault that Trandoshans do not know how to surrender. Irrational beasts."

Jese glared at him. "Do not insult his memory," she snapped, "your actions caused the death of a warrior worth a thousand of you."

"I know full well that I am worthless without the Force," he spat, "you do not need to harp on it."

She poked him in the chest. "You are worthless because of your choices! Sith, Jedi, Force-blind...it doesn't matter! You chose to betray us!"

"That you expected differently simply shows your naivity," he sneered down at her.

"Perhaps it does," she said with durasteel in her voice, "you can be sure that will not happen again."
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

irishfino
02.04.2013 , 11:09 PM | #32
Poor, poor Sith trapped in a blind body.

Maybe he should make out with Jese a little. There's no connection between those two whatsoever.

[pairs up characters at random]
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

iamthehoyden
02.05.2013 , 01:52 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
Poor, poor Sith trapped in a blind body.

Maybe he should make out with Jese a little. There's no connection between those two whatsoever.

[pairs up characters at random]
Making out would probably improve his mood. Not sure Jese would be up for that though...we'll have to see
---------------

Morgani
02.11.2013 , 10:33 AM | #34
I teared up at Qyzen's funeral. I can't imagine my Sage without him even though Zenith is her usual companion. Jese's speech to the Scorekeeper was touching and sad. Ugh. Teary again.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

iamthehoyden
02.12.2013 , 03:58 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgani View Post
I teared up at Qyzen's funeral. I can't imagine my Sage without him even though Zenith is her usual companion. Jese's speech to the Scorekeeper was touching and sad. Ugh. Teary again.
I used many a tissue while writing it and lots of doubts about whether I did the right thing in killing him kept me company. At any rate, I'm a smidge stalled on this story, but I'll get there eventually.
---------------

KimbriOnasi
11.13.2013 , 08:57 AM | #36
Just discovered this story. Hope you find your muse again. Felix doesn't get enough fan love for as sweet, strong, and wonderful of a man he is.