Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm terribly disapointed by cartel packs.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I'm terribly disapointed by cartel packs.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

andreas_barth
01.23.2013 , 02:19 AM | #141
I like the cartel stuff, even though i havent bought a single item!

Why? Cause all of a sudden I see A LOT of cool armor around me, gone are the days where all players of the same classes looked all the same. It gives a lot of life and variety to the game and the universie we got in there

Stradlin
01.23.2013 , 02:34 AM | #142
Cartel Packs piss me off. I can't understand people actually paying real money for this uninteresting boring junk.
It's not that much BW doing bad job with them as such. It's just that unles you go to honest-to-god pay2win route, WoW clones make a completely impossible soil for items exiting enough to ask real money for.

Packs like these can work great in a dynamic sandbox MMO. Take Ultima Online for example. That game has absolutely, completely insane amount of sheer DEPTH in itemization. Amount of genuinely different types of items with genuinely different purposes in Ultima Online is completely and literally incomprehensible to someone who has only ever played TOR or other WoW clones. In such environment, I can perfectly well understand a cash shop.

In Ultima Online, there are just so many different types of items with so many varyingly fun and exiting uses that it gives such shop a purpose. Unless taking the PaytoWin road, TOR(and other WoW clones) can never have an item interesting enough to ask real money for.Not in my books. Hurrr imma pay 10 bux for a change to get the mask Revan had durrrrr. lol.

In TOR, an item can only exist in three places.
- In loot window of some kind. (Killed enemy, Mailbox, Vendor, GTN)
- In your inventory (or bank)
- On your character, ship or companion. (Includes gear, mounts, token player pets)

Literally only items in this game that you can actually see in game world (besides as lame icons in inv) are stuff you can equip, mounts, stupid pets. That's it. If it is not a new bath robe, new weapon, new space motorcycle or some stupid space puppy the item essentially can not exist.

You can not even drop a gosh darned item on ground in this game. (Obviously I refuse to count stuff like ..Banners that have 30 min cooldown and make some..hologram on ground for 30 secs..I mean..come on. ) Items in this game don't exist in any meaningful way. You can't actually see or manipulate them in any meaningful way anywhere ever.

Ultima Online, an MMO developed and released at dawn of Internet, is miles ahead of WoW and her clones in this. Guess what happens to a chair you put on ground? It actually..like..appears on ground:O In game world:O :O
You can then actually sit on this chair:O:O:O:O It would actually be very difficult and time consuming to properly describe just how much value and purpose to items something like this gives.

Yet, game like TOR gets 200+++mil budgets and Ultima Online gets.. uh, no visibility at all. Angers me.

macumba
01.23.2013 , 03:02 AM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
[color=#f9d648]

It sucks that the Cartel Market/Cartel Packs takes away resources that could be spent on (my pet feature)!
It's quite the opposite, actually. The success of the market (and it has been quite successful) has given us the time and resources to do some ambitious things on Makeb, and plan some very ambitious things beyond. The success of the Cartel Market means that there will be more good stuff for ALL players, paying, subscribers, and free.
so finally you can release a blaster that does not sound as if the batteries were empty outside of the cartel packs?
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

DarthScruffy
01.23.2013 , 03:09 AM | #144
These are generally better than the STO gambling packs in that there is plenty of cool stuff from top to bottom. The one exception and this really angered me was the Skip Tracer pack. That was too much like one of the gambling packs: really cool high end, the low end is all junk.

01.23.2013 , 04:02 AM | #145
Instead of deleting items you don't want, how about running a quick trivia contest on Fleet using your 'junk' as prizes?

Oggthebase
01.23.2013 , 11:42 AM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by Anakis View Post
Hehehe!

I love a Dev that isn't afraid to admit that some of his team's work is terrible!
it's just pure PR cow dung, because they designed it that way.
Else they wouldn't be gambling pack if you would get what you want everytime.

Arutar
02.05.2013 , 09:58 AM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by manchusabre View Post
Yeah I get I'm buying random chances at stuff, but they really don't seem random either. One day I get nothing but droid customizations. The next revan's chest and legs. Then crimson claws and sand devils. It really doesn't seem all that random
You might want to check the meaning of the word "random".

Arutar
02.05.2013 , 10:02 AM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by Stradlin View Post
[...] Take Ultima Online for example. [...] In Ultima Online [...] Ultima Online [...] Ultima Online [...]
Nice advertisement. Wrong forum maybe?

Manifoldgodhead
02.05.2013 , 10:30 AM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
Nice advertisement. Wrong forum maybe?
Forget it. That guy has no clue how exponentially more complex a fully 3D game world is and why therefore a few features of the old 16 bit era are nearly impossible to do today.
ITS THE FUTURE

Goretzu
02.05.2013 , 10:38 AM | #150
Quote: Originally Posted by Manifoldgodhead View Post
Forget it. That guy has no clue how exponentially more complex a fully 3D game world is and why therefore a few features of the old 16 bit era are nearly impossible to do today.
Impossible? Then why are there 3D MMORPGs out there with most of them?

SWG had a lot even.

SWTOR is even simplified from Everquest 1 in many ways, and that was the first real 3D MMORPG.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1