Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming policy has gone through the window ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Naming policy has gone through the window ?

Surrealean
01.31.2013 , 08:46 AM | #11
Ah! Well, that's fine, and to be expected. I thought you were annoyed with examples like the ones I gave,

Leonick
01.31.2013 , 08:56 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Surrealean View Post
The name of this thread is rather misleading. As you even state yourself in your thread, there is no special rule enforcement for naming on RP servers. They don't police names that are "out-of-context", only names which are inappropriate according to the Terms of Service.

I can understand WHY you feel this way, but I don't understand why you feel they aren't doing their jobs. It's right there in the server description before you even login. I wouldn't, but I could make a "Darth Susan" and "Jedi Billy" right now and it'd be completely legit.
Actually, as a matter of fact, you can't.
Quote: Originally Posted by The Rules of Conduct
You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.
While you are right with the fact that there are no special rules for RP servers and they don't police "out of context" name the problem is that the rules of conduct do suggest you should use names fitting the theme (which suggest they would enforce it) but more importantly, many of the rules like the one I just quote above are never enforced.

All the names the OP used as examples do actually break one or more of the rules in the naming policy.
My Characters on the Progenitor
Raiah - Jedi Consular (Sage), Nesalia - Smuggler (Scoundrel)
Guild: The Kestrel Minority

Surrealean
01.31.2013 , 09:58 AM | #13
Haha, I wondered (belatedly, needless to say) if anyone would call me on that, but at the time of writing I meant I'd give them those titles in game, but you're right, I should have clarified.

My policy has always been if you see a name that violates ToS, as you've outlined, then report it. The filters won't stop people from using these names, and they can't physically monitor everyone all the time. Reporting it let's them know, though, and they can then see it and tackle it.

Laiham
01.31.2013 , 10:15 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Leonick View Post
Actually, as a matter of fact, you can't.
I know it's beside the point, but I think he meant creating a character called Billy and playing the story to get the Jedi title. Hence Jedi Billy.
"So that's it. You've grown a moustache!"
- Darth Vader

Cylnael
01.31.2013 , 10:50 AM | #15
Reporting it let's them know, though, and they can then see it and tackle it.
My problem is that i have done this about many names now, individually or in batches, and i've seen only one rename so far. I'm playing since prelaunch ...

That's the reason of my original post.

Texaboose
01.31.2013 , 11:38 AM | #16
I see this as a slippery slope argument. What's a stupid inane/unoriginal name to you, would be perfectly ok for someone else. Take Usul for example; I haven't read Dune in donkeys years and had no recollection of who Usul was. So if I saw that name a) I'd be ok with it b) would understand if someone had come up with that name independently of reading the series.

Where would you draw the line of an acceptable name? If you start wielding the ban hammer, you've got to have hard and fast rules, which the opinion of someone's RP name fails to uphold.

Sephorae
01.31.2013 , 11:49 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Texaboose View Post
I see this as a slippery slope argument. What's a stupid inane/unoriginal name to you, would be perfectly ok for someone else. Take Usul for example; I haven't read Dune in donkeys years and had no recollection of who Usul was. So if I saw that name a) I'd be ok with it b) would understand if someone had come up with that name independently of reading the series.

Where would you draw the line of an acceptable name? If you start wielding the ban hammer, you've got to have hard and fast rules, which the opinion of someone's RP name fails to uphold.
+1. I can completely see this happening.

Leonick
01.31.2013 , 01:50 PM | #18
Haha, I wondered (belatedly, needless to say) if anyone would call me on that, but at the time of writing I meant I'd give them those titles in game, but you're right, I should have clarified.

My policy has always been if you see a name that violates ToS, as you've outlined, then report it. The filters won't stop people from using these names, and they can't physically monitor everyone all the time. Reporting it let's them know, though, and they can then see it and tackle it.
I suspected you might have meant that, but still.

As for reporting, yea, that has been my policy as well. Sadly as have been pointed out in this thread, little usually seem to come of it.
My Characters on the Progenitor
Raiah - Jedi Consular (Sage), Nesalia - Smuggler (Scoundrel)
Guild: The Kestrel Minority

Darth_Crasis
01.31.2013 , 02:33 PM | #19
I have my doubts on the viability of this issue. I mean, what do you expect? People want to name their PC's something that means something to them. Being that this is a SW cetric game most want to have a part of their PC name to be SW centric. As for real world names, consider that there is no reason a human on hoth couldnt be named "Hagatha Christie" or any of the other six billion names on this planet. if names are breaking you're realism, you have a problem. I dont know they name of half the people I play with, because i'm busy playing the game.

EDIT: What breaks my realism is a Lord NPC on Illum telling my Darth PC what to do treating me like a POS. The least Bioware could do is to acknowledge the PC's status. Oh Darth Malgus took over the Empire but no Dark Council meeting on Drummond Kaas...
Order shall be restored from within, by the Power of those whom Darkness has touched.

Darth Crasis
Lord of the Sith

Cylnael
02.04.2013 , 03:38 PM | #20
Ok it's a first !

I've reached the maximum authorized people in my ignore list ...

BW, could please do something ?

Either extend the limit or launch a renaming campaign.