Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

launcher not working

02.03.2013 , 09:06 PM | #1
i tried redpwnloading it, and every time i sign in it says "patcher service is temporarily unavailable, please visit our forums for the most recent announcements available"

ive ran the repair, it doesnt even repair. and when i try to start the launcher after it says it "repaired" it says its updating, then closes out, reopens, and when i log, gives me that same patcher service remark.

please help. not sure what to do.

02.03.2013 , 09:43 PM | #2
There are a couple of possibilities here. First you can try just making sure the launcher's totally up to date by redownloading SWTOR_setup.exe from run that and pick your existing install directory. That will just update the launcher, not touch any other files; if the problem is your launcher itself, that'll get you up and running.

If that doesn't work, you will want to make sure that the launcher is being allowed through your firewall; sometimes it gets reset and things break. If the launcher is permitted through your firewall, there are several other possibilities.

The first and simplest thing to check is whether your time and date are way off. If they are, the authentication will probably fail and you could get this error; set Windows so that it updates time and date from Internet time servers, and you'll be in sync. (It's also worth checking your BIOS clock; some folks have reported that being off has also caused them problems, even when Windows seemed to have the right time.)

The corollary to this is to make sure that your computer timezone and your timezone setting here on the account page of your settings are the same. Based on a couple posts by CS droids in other threads, if the timezones don't match, you might get an authentication failure and the 'Server Not Responding' error when you try to log in.

One more thing to check, of course, is to run Windows Update and make sure you have current root certificates installed; this probably only applies if you've never run SWTOR on this computer before and so wouldn't know that the root certificates are out-of-date, but it can't hurt to check.

If time and date are correct and there's no root certificate updates, you might have a network issue. Even if you've allowed launcher.exe through your firewall software, there are also a few caveats which can cause issues:
  • ESET: If you are using ESET as your antivirus and firewall, go and disable Protocol Filtering in the settings and see if that fixes the launcher for you.
    Kaspersky Internet Security: Turn off 'Scan secure connections' and see if the launcher works properly.
    IPblocker: If you are running IPblocker, you will need to add Launcher.exe to the exceptions, or else it can stop the launcher from working right.
    Peerblocker: For whatever reason, even if you add the launcher to Peerblocker's exception list, it doesn't always like the launcher and will stop it from talking to the Launchpad. Try disabling Peerblocker and see if this fixes things.

If none of those solutions work, you'll want to post your launcher log (you can find it in the 'logs' directory under your SWTOR install directory) here, wrapped in SPOILER tags, and probably also try doing a ping of to see whether or not you can reach that site at all. That will help CS folks (or helpful fellow players) to help you sort through what's going on.

Hopefully one of those help.
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris) / Random CS Forum Participant
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

docTOR: SWTOR Launcher Troubleshooting Guide