Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Knight Story and the Jedi Philosophy.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Jedi Knight Story and the Jedi Philosophy.

SithKoriandr
02.02.2013 , 03:31 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SilencerSeven View Post
This seems to me like a fairly deliberate mis-reading of what's going on in those missions. The NPCs tell you flatly that compassion is problematic for the jedi because it impairs their judgment.

Also in the setting being depicted in the game the republic is supposed to be seen as being in a corrupt/crumbling-under-its-own-weight state, and that extends to the jedi order as much as anything; to some extent we're meant to chafe at the staid, formulaic expression of the code as expressed ingame.

With that said, any moral code which forbids love (romantic or platonic) should probably not be used as a guide for human behavior.
I see nothing wrong with that code. The problem is, in the SW universe, you really only have two options for learning to use your force abilities and both are extreme exact opposites. With any other ideals being considered wrong/rebelious and not really getting a chance to be a part of those lesser known orders.

OldVengeance
02.02.2013 , 03:32 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SilencerSeven View Post
This seems to me like a fairly deliberate mis-reading of what's going on in those missions. The NPCs tell you flatly that compassion is problematic for the jedi because it impairs their judgment.
No, just appreciation of the context. The whole situation is about whether Flingeld is capable of being a Jedi or not. If he isn't qualified, then having pity won't change that.

Rabenschwinge
02.02.2013 , 05:42 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
No, just appreciation of the context. The whole situation is about whether Flingeld is capable of being a Jedi or not. If he isn't qualified, then having pity won't change that.
The statement the master gives is clearly not limited to the situation at hand - he considers pity categorically inappropriate for a Jedi.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Surinen
02.02.2013 , 07:40 PM | #24
Ideal form for a Jedi is to achiev a droid mindset and break the chains of emotions, to always act acoording to logic, reason and rationality ( although SW lore is based on contradiction, who rational would serve, whats worse serve democracy, madness )
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.

Phoenixbowman
02.02.2013 , 07:51 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Surinen View Post
Ideal form for a Jedi is to achiev a droid mindset and break the chains of emotions, to always act acoording to logic, reason and rationality ( although SW lore is based on contradiction, who rational would serve, whats worse serve democracy, madness )
This source that Aurbere posted would seem to contradict that:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=579869

""There is no Emotion, there is Peace"

Surely this means that a Jedi should be emotionless, yes? No. This line refers to a Jedi's clarity of mind. Odan-Urr believed that emotions were necessary for the Jedi to have, but understood that these emotions should not interfere with the decisions a Jedi makes.

The actions of a single Jedi can impact the entire galaxy, and emotion can influence the decisions a Jedi makes. So Odan-Urr taught meditation to his students. Meditation allowed them to control their emotions and maintain clarity of mind, but he did not teach Jedi to ignore or purge them. He taught mastery over emotion: the first step to mastery of the Light Side."

Even Obi-won says to Anakin that he must learn to control his emotions; control is NOT the same as purge.

Phoenixbowman
02.02.2013 , 07:55 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Surinen View Post
I tried that growing up, it didn't work. Oh, and it was a living hell too. A droid mindset may be all well and good for a fictional order of Jedi but it's not good for real life people.

I can say that for 3/4 of my 25 year life I did exactly that and no, it did not work. Emotions are not chains. It is possible to feel them; experience, and enjoy them without them getting out of control.

And if you "break the chain of emotions" then you have no drive or passion to help someone in need or in suffering. You don't feel the outrage or anger at injustice so you don't move to fix the injustice. You see suffering and not feel pain so you don't move to alleviate suffering.

Phoenixbowman
02.02.2013 , 07:59 PM | #27
I'm sorry to the fictional Jedi but I cannot be compassion-less, love-less, cold and generally heartless by being robotic / illogical / having no emotions. I am driven by them; they are the things which motivate me to act. Does that mean I should let them go out of control? NO.

That can go for everyone. Feeling something is part of being human. Feeling something is one thing. Acting on it and how one acts on it is another matter entirely. I do agree that emotions that get out of control can be damaging. But it is possible to feel something strongly and yet still act rationally.

Feeling compassion does not force you to act irrationally. The Jedi, if they believe that compassion makes people act irrationally, are wrong. People control their actions. Emotions do not control a person or force them to do anything.

A person chooses to act a certain way. Simply feeling an emotion doesn't hijack your brain and make you do something irrational. The person feels compassion, or anything, and then they make the choice to act a certain way.

Phoenixbowman
02.02.2013 , 08:07 PM | #28
I choose love, compassion, care and kindess and so does my character

Because I know that simply feeling those or having those does not automatically force me to act irrationally because I know that I and I alone control my actions. I can choose to act irrationally because of them OR I can choose to experience them and feel them but still act in a safe and smart matter.

Because if I don't have compassion, care, love, and kindness then I have no will or drive to help those who are in pain or sorrow. Sorry to the Jedi but my emotions are what make me strong.

My Strength Flows from Heart and My Soul. But I can still use my mind and decide how to act.

Thank you everyone for your input

- */\*

OldVengeance
02.02.2013 , 08:17 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
The statement the master gives is clearly not limited to the situation at hand - he considers pity categorically inappropriate for a Jedi.
It's obviously not that clear. Saying that a Jedi can never have pity ever is taking what he said too literally and applying it too broadly. Syo Bakarn and Jaric Kaeden both say that compassion is essential for a good Jedi at other times and they are both Jedi Council Members. If they also believed that Jedi can't have pity, they can't both be true.

Phoenixbowman
02.02.2013 , 09:47 PM | #30
<moved to next page>