Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bluntron's Avatar


Bluntron
02.01.2013 , 10:10 PM | #991
Quote: Originally Posted by Mindwreck View Post
IDK man. No matter what time I play at, I'm almost always at or near the top in damage, dps, and killing blows when that is all Im worried about. The only time Im not is when I actually play objectives like guarding nodes or carrying orbs. Now I can't kill hardly anybody 1v1 which is where the survivability issue comes in. And really, when I put up big damage numbers, or somebody else does, I become worried because that means nobodies dying. Alot of times I find myself strategically trying to take out a target like a healer and everybody else is just spamming abilities on any old random target trying to keep there damage numbers rolling. I do this too, every now and then when I get frustrated, and can put up big numbers. Big numbers that dont mean anything cuz we lost. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe one of these matches I'll just spam, spam, spam and see what I can top out at. Then I'll take a pic of the scoreboard along with my woody and post it everywhere showing everybody how good I am.
Let me know if you get Invincible or Immortal quoting in a WZ as a merc/mando.

800k is nothing. Top score charts is Nothing.
Anyone here who has made a valid and intelligent post on this forum can pull 800k as a merc in a VS, all it requires is ED and FM the right target in a cluster fuk of people and keep DFA on CD. 800k easy. Maybe a MB here and there.

bigfishcjp's Avatar


bigfishcjp
02.01.2013 , 10:26 PM | #992
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.
I believe that a good escape mechanism for Commandos/Mercs would be to add an ability that allows them some kind of ability that propels them back 30 meters away from target, while at the same time making the target blinded(due to smoke blinding) for 4 seconds. It could have a jet pack/rocket boost effect with smoke that pushes the merc/commando back away from target. Maybe on a 20-30 sec timer. Sort of like a reverse force leap. Thoughts?
I am the Law!!

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
02.01.2013 , 11:37 PM | #993
Quote: Originally Posted by bigfishcjp View Post
I believe that a good escape mechanism for Commandos/Mercs would be to add an ability that allows them some kind of ability that propels them back 30 meters away from target, while at the same time making the target blinded(due to smoke blinding) for 4 seconds. It could have a jet pack/rocket boost effect with smoke that pushes the merc/commando back away from target. Maybe on a 20-30 sec timer. Sort of like a reverse force leap. Thoughts?
That type of disengage ability has been suggested numerous times. I personally feel it could help, but escape issues are but a small part of the problem. Which is why that post you quoted depressed the heck out of a lot of commandos/mercs.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

klham's Avatar


klham
02.01.2013 , 11:42 PM | #994
An escape mechanism is a big part of it, but the real issue is that the design of the AC only allows for 100% *reactive* gameplay... combined with low survivability and low utility. There's no way to take the initiative. You're utterly chained to X Y Z axes with no way to make your interface with those axes dynamic in any way. You're always reacting to the initiative of other players that engage you, leap you, pull you, push you, lock you, root you, and mez you as you crawl across the map in perma-snare mode and try to slow-cast a rotation that takes three times longer to complete than it takes a button-masher on a pyro-Powertech to melt your face off. It's a clunky AC in pvp. Even with an escape we'll still be the target-dummies of the Warzones until they re-think the AC and give it something that makes it a dynamic option to play in PvP. Think of all the options that an Assassin, Operative, or even a Marauder posssses to regain the initiative during a PvP encounter. The merc/mando has virtually none, except a casted mez that requires a secondary ability just to fire it off reliably, and which is instantly negated by a stunbreaker. There's just no way to take the initiative (and sorry but positioning & LoSing aren't "initiative", it's simply what every player of every AC just *does* - it has nothing to do with class design).

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
02.02.2013 , 01:51 AM | #995
Quote: Originally Posted by klham View Post
An escape mechanism is a big part of it, but the real issue is that the design of the AC only allows for 100% *reactive* gameplay... combined with low survivability and low utility. There's no way to take the initiative. You're utterly chained to X Y Z axes with no way to make your interface with those axes dynamic in any way. You're always reacting to the initiative of other players that engage you, leap you, pull you, push you, lock you, root you, and mez you as you crawl across the map in perma-snare mode and try to slow-cast a rotation that takes three times longer to complete than it takes a button-masher on a pyro-Powertech to melt your face off. It's a clunky AC in pvp. Even with an escape we'll still be the target-dummies of the Warzones until they re-think the AC and give it something that makes it a dynamic option to play in PvP. Think of all the options that an Assassin, Operative, or even a Marauder posssses to regain the initiative during a PvP encounter. The merc/mando has virtually none, except a casted mez that requires a secondary ability just to fire it off reliably, and which is instantly negated by a stunbreaker. There's just no way to take the initiative (and sorry but positioning & LoSing aren't "initiative", it's simply what every player of every AC just *does* - it has nothing to do with class design).
wall of text but so true
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Amebia's Avatar


Amebia
02.02.2013 , 02:51 AM | #996
That quote makes me a very sad commando.

Amebia's Avatar


Amebia
02.02.2013 , 03:18 AM | #997
That quote makes me a very sad commando.

Lord_Karsk's Avatar


Lord_Karsk
02.02.2013 , 03:30 AM | #998
All i know is, next class balance patch time if they cant fix most of the issues and most
fix the broken merc/mandos i see no hope what so ever for pvp in this game.
And i think they will lose even more pvp subs in the next weeks.I have lost to many friends to other
games because the swtor "pvp" team doesnt have a clue what they are doing and if this continue
i'm gone aswell.They have until next class balance pacth thats it.Loook st AoC, they got later some of the
best pvp on the market,but what did it do them after everyone had left...

yoomazir's Avatar


yoomazir
02.02.2013 , 08:11 AM | #999
So... will 1.7 will save us from despair? Will it be 1.8? 1.9? 2.0? Over 9000?

You can talk to us Bioware, we don't bite (but we may unsuscribe, but you're used to that now).

DariusCalera's Avatar


DariusCalera
02.02.2013 , 08:39 AM | #1000
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
So... will 1.7 will save us from despair? Will it be 1.8? 1.9? 2.0? Over 9000?

You can talk to us Bioware, we don't bite (but we may unsuscribe, but you're used to that now).
My bet is we won't get anything meaningful until the expansion. More than likely they will do something with bubblestun and the smashmonkies in 1.7 but mercs/mandos will simply be told to LoS the pillars more.

WOOT...1000!!!!!