Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Atramar's Avatar


Atramar
02.01.2013 , 04:56 AM | #971
Quote: Originally Posted by Mossesman View Post
Gunnery needs is a defensive cooldown which makes us immune to all forms of CC (including slows, roots, pulls and being jumped to) and interrupts.
Ekhm. It's called 'the sniper'. try one. unless using cover is to much.
But uncle Atramar, Sniper is to hard, to many buttons, cover sux, and I like my merc/commando since it's high dps 2 buttons (4 if you are pro and starfe).

Well Charlie, suck it up.
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

Mossesman's Avatar


Mossesman
02.01.2013 , 08:18 AM | #972
Quote: Originally Posted by Atramar View Post
Ekhm. It's called 'the sniper'. try one. unless using cover is to much.
But uncle Atramar, Sniper is to hard, to many buttons, cover sux, and I like my merc/commando since it's high dps 2 buttons (4 if you are pro and starfe).

Well Charlie, suck it up.
Now now...the Sniper can share some of its toys
Eathos - Commando | Norzrik - Guardian
Kezron - Scoundrel | Ashinelle - Shadow

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
02.01.2013 , 08:56 AM | #973
Quote: Originally Posted by Atramar View Post
Ekhm. It's called 'the sniper'. try one. unless using cover is to much.
But uncle Atramar, Sniper is to hard, to many buttons, cover sux, and I like my merc/commando since it's high dps 2 buttons (4 if you are pro and starfe).

Well Charlie, suck it up.
what kind of high DPS do you think youre getting with 2 abilities as a Merc? educate yourself please
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Atramar's Avatar


Atramar
02.01.2013 , 09:19 AM | #974
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
what kind of high DPS do you think youre getting with 2 abilities as a Merc? educate yourself please
was it one button?
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

T-Assassin's Avatar


T-Assassin
02.01.2013 , 10:16 AM | #975
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
you could use something that would proc an isntant shot once in a while, like we snipers have snap shot for instacast snipes.
and snipers are uninterruptable...AND snipers don't rely on TM stacks in order to reach full DPS potential...

AND snipers have jump immunity...

AND snipers have 4 CC abilities (instant).

having PS, TM, HSM being an instant cast, or even able to cast on the move will hardly make Merc OP.

personally, i think they shoud remove the movement restrictions on all abilities, EXCEPT snipers/GS in cover.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Technohic's Avatar


Technohic
02.01.2013 , 10:20 AM | #976
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post

and snipers are uninterruptable...AND snipers don't rely on TM stacks in order to reach full DPS potential...

AND snipers have jump immunity...

AND snipers have 4 CC abilities (instant).

having PS, TM, HSM being an instant cast, or even able to cast on the move will hardly make Merc OP.

personally, i think they shoud remove the movement restrictions on all abilities, EXCEPT snipers/GS in cover.
TBH as someone who has both a sniper and a merc at 50 and have been working on a sage, I have often thought that sniper is awesome at 30-35m as a turret class. Why do we need 2 other classes that are 30m limit and also a turret, yet none of the benefits that cover gives. What if we had sage or merc or both, have 20-25m in trade off to be more mobile if not entirely mobile. I mean, there are leaps and slows and roots and stuns aplenty to where I don't think that would be a problem, and that would give classes a little more meaning than just a different way of doing essentially the same thing.
Technohic - Sniper | Techno-Hic - Gunslinger | Cihonhcet - Scoundrel
Karnrage - Assassin | Egarnrak - Sage
Techen - Merc | Nehcet - Vanguard | Carnrage - Marauder | Egarnrac - Guardian
POT5

NoTomorrow's Avatar


NoTomorrow
02.01.2013 , 10:47 AM | #977
Quote: Originally Posted by Mossesman View Post
Now now...the Sniper can share some of its toys
In a sniper new abilities braintstorming thread for RotHC abilities, somebody proposed for a sniper being able to grant any friendly a special cover buff to make them immune to leaps and interrupts, at the price of staying stationary

I am not saying that this is good or bad, i don't even want to comment the balance aspect, i am just saying.

Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
TBH as someone who has both a sniper and a merc at 50 and have been working on a sage, I have often thought that sniper is awesome at 30-35m as a turret class. Why do we need 2 other classes that are 30m limit and also a turret, yet none of the benefits that cover gives. What if we had sage or merc or both, have 20-25m in trade off to be more mobile if not entirely mobile. I mean, there are leaps and slows and roots and stuns aplenty to where I don't think that would be a problem, and that would give classes a little more meaning than just a different way of doing essentially the same thing.
Currently Gunnery performance can be entirely replicated by MM snipers. It has nothing over it, except for some crappy heals and tech cleanse (i do envy you having this one though, but i will never trade my cover for it).

Full Lightning is trying to do the same but is even more gimped with basically no instant attacks or at least requiring some horrible proccing. Even MM has more instant attacks than Lightning.

You could improve these specs to make them more sort of instant cast mobile half-ranged DPS classes 20-25m, but you would have to decide how do you want to balance all this in relationship to melee classes. Can you imagine the forum rage if Force Charge =30m, lightning strike 25m...
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Mindwreck's Avatar


Mindwreck
02.01.2013 , 10:55 AM | #978
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
No, even in high survivability environments like a static Voidstar (0-0), where death is rare, the top melee dps will score about 50% greater damage than a Merc dps. Sorc/Sage dps is about 25% higher. Even operative dps is about 10% higher. Merc dps damage output sucks at the top skill levels. And it has the lowest survivability. And the lowest utility.
Where are you getting these percentages from? Don't just pull numbers out of your bunghole and treat them as if they were something reliable. I can out dps anybody on my merc. Ive put up 800k in VS and nobody else even broke 500k. You are right though about the low survivability and utility. The only time my damage suffers is when I get a guy or two from the oth!er team that focuses me every time, cuz we are pretty easy to kill. But, if they leave me a small window of time in a big group fight, many will suffer and many will die.

Technohic's Avatar


Technohic
02.01.2013 , 11:03 AM | #979
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
In a sniper new abilities braintstorming thread for RotHC abilities, somebody proposed for a sniper being able to grant any friendly a special cover buff to make them immune to leaps and interrupts, at the price of staying stationary

I am not saying that this is good or bad, i don't even want to comment the balance aspect, i am just saying.



Currently Gunnery performance can be entirely replicated by MM snipers. It has nothing over it, except for some crappy heals and tech cleanse (i do envy you having this one though, but i will never trade my cover for it).

Full Lightning is trying to do the same but is even more gimped with basically no instant attacks or at least requiring some horrible proccing. Even MM has more instant attacks than Lightning.

You could improve these specs to make them more sort of instant cast mobile half-ranged DPS classes 20-25m, but you would have to decide how do you want to balance all this in relationship to melee classes. Can you imagine the forum rage if Force Charge =30m, lightning strike 25m...
It would have to be balanced out, but that wouldn't be a new problem. The slows, roots, pulls/grapple and leaps give melee something to use and sage/sorc have force speed while mercs can cleans most roots and slows. The problem I see is that still leaves scoundrel/operative. I could see making a lethality/df another mobile-mid ranged class by giving them better methods to get TA/UH, but I know on my scrapper, if someone can kite me, the speed boost doesn't seem to be as fast as force speed and the leg shot is not enough sometimes. Then again; not like that isn't already a problem that needs addressing as well when you talk about that AC.
Technohic - Sniper | Techno-Hic - Gunslinger | Cihonhcet - Scoundrel
Karnrage - Assassin | Egarnrak - Sage
Techen - Merc | Nehcet - Vanguard | Carnrage - Marauder | Egarnrac - Guardian
POT5

Mindwreck's Avatar


Mindwreck
02.01.2013 , 11:18 AM | #980
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
No, even in high survivability environments like a static Voidstar (0-0), where death is rare, the top melee dps will score about 50% greater damage than a Merc dps. Sorc/Sage dps is about 25% higher. Even operative dps is about 10% higher. Merc dps damage output sucks at the top skill levels. And it has the lowest survivability. And the lowest utility.
Where are you getting these percentages from? Don't just pull numbers out of your bunghole and treat them as if they were something reliable. I can out dps anybody on my merc. Ive put up 800k in VS and nobody else even broke 500k. You are right though about the low survivability and utility. The only time my damage suffers is when I get a guy or two from the oth!er team that focuses me every time, cuz we are pretty easy to kill. But, if they leave me a small window of time in a big group fight, many will suffer and many will die.