Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Lodestone: A Wynston/Ruth Alternate Universe

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
Lodestone: A Wynston/Ruth Alternate Universe

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
01.12.2013 , 11:26 PM | #171
Epilogue, part 7: Sap sappety sap sap. Immediately following on the previous story.

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Irrissa's Avatar


Irrissa
01.13.2013 , 12:06 AM | #172
awwwwwww <3
*Rissa (55 Sorc) * Cielle (55 Merc)* Irrissa (55 Op) Ko'neko (55 Mara)
*Minalde (55 Sage)* Aubrei (55 Scound)* Cleindori (55 Sent) Rosaleen (55 Com)

iamthehoyden's Avatar


iamthehoyden
01.14.2013 , 05:04 PM | #173
Awwww, indeed
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
01.31.2013 , 07:19 PM | #174
Random stuff, roughly six and a half years into the alt timeline:

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

iamthehoyden's Avatar


iamthehoyden
01.31.2013 , 09:26 PM | #175
D'awww...and yay for Wynston backstory!
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

kabeone's Avatar


kabeone
01.31.2013 , 10:45 PM | #176
Spoiler


I don't know how close that is to canon though from what I read their system does sound like that would be plausible... *hisssss* poor Wynston. I do love his background and Wynston/Ruth are just *yay sweetness*.

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
02.01.2013 , 06:18 AM | #177
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Spoiler


I don't know how close that is to canon though from what I read their system does sound like that would be plausible... *hisssss* poor Wynston. I do love his background and Wynston/Ruth are just *yay sweetness*.
The question that came to mind repeatedly as I played through my Imp alien runs (Zabrak Warrior, Chiss Agent, parts of a Chiss BH) was...what would possess any alien nonresident to choose to immigrate into the Empire? One might hypothesize that no one voluntarily does and all alien Imperial subjects are the product of annexation or slave imports, but that probably doesn't cover 100% of them and it doesn't account for the fact that the immigration scenario has occurred in real life. Look at the treatment of, say, Chinese or Irish immigrants to America in the 1800s, or any of the dirty unwashed race du jour in other time periods. Why would anybody walk into that and still say, for the rest of their lives, that moving to America was a good idea? The alternative must have been worse. I find that concept mindblowing, but then, I'm a pretty privileged creature, so I've never had to weigh anything like that kind of decision.

Unlike America the Empire does not reward hard work particularly well, but it rewards smart work brilliantly when you arrange to make it benefit/have it noticed by the right people. Then, on top of a successful professional career, happening across a sane Sith girlfriend is about as good as it gets. Then cuddles happen!
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Estelindis's Avatar


Estelindis
02.01.2013 , 07:19 AM | #178
I seem to recall you commenting at some point during the mean Ruth Means Compassion thread that Wynston wasn't very deep. Lies! Take that back immediately.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Look at the treatment of, say, Chinese or Irish immigrants to America in the 1800s, or any of the dirty unwashed race du jour in other time periods. Why would anybody walk into that and still say, for the rest of their lives, that moving to America was a good idea? The alternative must have been worse. I find that concept mindblowing, but then, I'm a pretty privileged creature, so I've never had to weigh anything like that kind of decision.
Just speaking as an Irish person, our reasons for emigration have been predominantly economic. Of these, the greatest in the 1800s was a famine caused by potato blight that hit the poorest worst of all because they had little to no other food; potatoes were the only crop that allowed them to make a living on the tiny amounts of land they could rent (largely renting from the rich landlords who controlled our country but didn't live there, to whom the export of other foods continued even as poor people starved due to the lost potato crop). Leaving that behind didn't mean people didn't love their country or their families (in fact, there's a huge tradition of songs lamenting leaving family, sweethearts, and the beauty of the landscape). It meant people had no other choice. I'm not sure how comparable it really is with what you just described from Wynston's life.

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
02.01.2013 , 07:57 AM | #179
Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
I seem to recall you commenting at some point during the mean Ruth Means Compassion thread that Wynston wasn't very deep. Lies! Take that back immediately.
He was shallow! He was a shallow shallow man! This is what I get for thinking about things. Details happen.

Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
Just speaking as an Irish person, our reasons for emigration have been predominantly economic. Of these, the greatest in the 1800s was a famine caused by potato blight that hit the poorest worst of all because they had little to no other food; potatoes were the only crop that allowed them to make a living on the tiny amounts of land they could rent (largely renting from the rich non-Irish who controlled our country, to whom the export of other foods continued even as poor people starved due to the lost potato crop). Leaving that behind didn't mean people didn't love their country or their families (in fact, there's a huge tradition of songs lamenting leaving family, sweethearts, and the beauty of the landscape). It meant people had no other choice. I'm not sure how comparable it really is with what you just described from Wynston's life.
Eee, history lesson! Though I'm of Irish extraction I know very, very little of my own family's history.

I will say that Wynston's parents and at least some of his other siblings maintained closer ties to the old community than he did. I don't know how realistic it is that they had the option to stay and chose to go anyway. Wynston personally was (economic reasons/more economic opportunity driven by parental choices) + (screw you all I'm leaving and assimilating as hard as I can because I hate the old country and, as a running theme in my life, I am prone to the sudden and complete cutting of ties.) He's definitely glossing over the fact that he had a community of social equals.

The above account is all the thought I've ever put into his family; I've never really thought about his siblings and how they would have adapted. If I were really awful I would dub my Chiss BH his big sister...think, think think *taps head, Winnie the Pooh style*...
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Estelindis's Avatar


Estelindis
02.01.2013 , 09:00 AM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
He was shallow! He was a shallow shallow man! This is what I get for thinking about things. Details happen.
Delicious details. Wonderful details. Wynston has become more and more interesting as you've written him and I think that's great.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Eee, history lesson! Though I'm of Irish extraction I know very, very little of my own family's history.
Oh wow! We do get around, don't we? There's way more people of Irish extraction living around the world than back here in Ireland. Waaaay more. As in, multiplied several times.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
I will say that Wynston's parents and at least some of his other siblings maintained closer ties to the old community than he did. I don't know how realistic it is that they had the option to stay and chose to go anyway. Wynston personally was (economic reasons/more economic opportunity driven by parental choices) + (screw you all I'm leaving and assimilating as hard as I can because I hate the old country and, as a running theme in my life, I am prone to the sudden and complete cutting of ties.) He's definitely glossing over the fact that he had a community of social equals.

The above account is all the thought I've ever put into his family; I've never really thought about his siblings and how they would have adapted. If I were really awful I would dub my Chiss BH his big sister...think, think think *taps head, Winnie the Pooh style*...
Maybe I'm picking up on what you wrote wrongly, but I got the impression that he hated his family for accepting their place in society and not fighting against it. On reflection, that really fits with his personality overall. He's never been one to roll over and just say "this is how it is, I can't change it." Everything he does post-chapter 3 seems to be part of an overall attempt to make things better, whether on a huge galactic scale or in Ruth's life in this fic.

As for the possibility of making your BH his sister, I wonder why you say "If I were really awful..." Would this be bad for Wynston? Would this cause him discomfort? Would this possibly... somehow... end up giving him (wait for it)... an air of noble tragedy?