Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Backbone Issue: Chain of Command

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Backbone Issue: Chain of Command

bespinsystem
01.31.2013 , 06:11 AM | #1
EA can't fix the backbone.

Comcast can't fix the backbone.

Here's how it works.

1). EA is pressured by disgruntled, hysterical, and flagrantly inhuman customers to fix the issue. EA can't find anything wrong on their end.
2). EA identifies that the vast majority of the customers affected by this issue share the same ISP (Comcast, and yes, any other ISP who uses that backbone, but Comcast is the vast majority).
3). EA contacts Comcast, who says there's absolutely nothing wrong on their end. Comcast has seen this before, from every MMORPG company in play, but turnover rate is so high (over 80%) that no one currently employed remembers the solution, or even how to troubleshoot it.
4). At last, an underpaid senior tech recalls seeing this sort of thing before, and remembers it was a backbone issue. He passes this hint up to his manager(s), and it gets escalated to whoever happens to be in charge at that moment.
5). Many buttons are pushed attempting to identify the point of error. When that point is identified, a 3rd party contractor (possibly EcoComp if they're still even in business) will be contacted to roll a truck and locate the issue.
6). 3rd party contractor opens a ticket, and it goes in the queue. First come, first serve. And unfortunately for us, Microsoft > Time Warner > Haliburton > everyone else, as far as internet is concerned.
7). If you're lucky, it's a quck fix, once the issue is located.

It's just the misconception that EA has the ability to send one of their interns out across town and fix this problem that annoys me. And if you still don't understand, maybe I can make it easier, and simpler (although not entirely accurate) with this analogy. You're a telegraph company in the late 1800s. You start getting wires that several thousand customers are unable to send telegraph messages. Everything looks good on your end, so you contact the company that maintains telegraph lines. They say everything is fine on their end. Ultimately SOMEONE identifies a problem with a line. All well and good, except that line is 1,500 feet below the surface in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. You can't fix that. Neither can your telegraph maintenance company. It's going to take a specialized 3rd party with Captain Nemo's diving suit and a steamliner to even identify the issue, let alone fix it.

I don't like EA/BioWare....at all...but I also don't like anonymous blowhards on the internet acting like their constitutional rights are being infringed upon, demanding recompense for a service that, frankly, we're lucky even works at all....ever. EA doesn't owe you money for time played lost. Read the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up. Nor do they owe you any sort of apology (although you'll probably get that, because that's good customer service....but it will be wasted on you). They're probably just as upset as you are right now, because this WILL result in lost subscriptions, and makes them look bad.

I think my point is this. Get over yourselves. Your inability to stay connected to SWTOR is not in any way important to the well-being of the Earth. If you want to whine, whine about what a horrible game SWTOR is, and how you are unable to cope with your own addiction to online gaming, especially when it is denied to you, DESPITE how horrible the game is. Bazinga.

OwenBrooks
01.31.2013 , 06:18 AM | #2
Eg of a Cable Fault is

SEA-ME-WE 3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEA-ME-WE_3 Cable Fault - 10 Jan 13 Singtel have sent a repair ship to the site, expected to arrive in early February.

SEA-ME-WE 4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEA-ME-WE_4 21-25 Jan 13 Disruption due to maintenance

LohKey
01.31.2013 , 10:31 AM | #3
Here is the broken connection: Vlan552.icore1.NTO-NewYork.as6453.net [209.58.26.85]
(any connection starting with 209.58.26 looks like it's having a issue, they all have the same owner.)

Here is who owns it:

Tata Communications
2355 Dulles Corner Blvd
7th Floor
Herndon, VA 20171, USA
Tel +1 703 547 5900

If you need to gripe this is where to do it, AS (autonomous system) 6453 has intermittent disconnection and latency issues.
Pawning your Jedi Like A *** *** girl scout ***** *** ******* in your moms ****** *****!!
BH since 2004!
CE