Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat broken

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Geneari
01.31.2013 , 08:58 AM | #1
My chat is broken in two different ways.
1) I see no player names. I see all the chat but have no idea who is talking.
2) If I leave whatever place I log into the game, I lose my chat box altogether. Just gone. No way to communicate with anyone. Logging out and back in DOES NOT bring back the chat box.

I have done EVERYTHING one can do to fix it. Reset UI, reset keybindings, deleting cache and preference folders. Last week I did a full game reinstall because the patch didn't work for me.

The only thing that bring back my chat box is deleting "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\setti ngs" and even then, if I zone into a new area the chat just goes away. I can't seriously have to do that everytime I move. Your game loads entirely too slow and relies so much on loading for moving between areas, that I'd spend more time trying to fix my chat than playing.

I submitted a ticked about it and you guys just closed it without so much as a "we'll look in to it". Frankly that is totally unacceptable. I pay for this game. I'm getting extremely frustrated. Not having chat is game breaking. I can't communicate, I can't see system messages, I can't do things you need to do to have any sort of playing experience.

Geneari
01.31.2013 , 05:10 PM | #2
Bump. I'd really like some kind of official acknowledgement of my issue. Submitting a ticket and having it closed with no response and a lack of response here is not good.

You know what? Forget about my broken chat issue #1 -- I can deal with not knowing who is talking to me.

But not having a chat box at all is game breaking. I can't communicate with my guild, or a party if I'm in one, or play warzones (because they are all about communication). I can emote or whisper people. I can't publicly trade. I can't see system messages about how much experience I get or how many credits I loot.

I can't even /quit when I'm done playing.

Please don't ignore me.

Bronholz
01.31.2013 , 05:23 PM | #3 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings Geneari,

Thanks for contacting us.

When you submitted your ticket was it submitted as a Bug Report? These tickets are for reporting issues and so information can be forwarded to our Development team, for this reason you won't generally receive a response on these tickets.

Regarding your issue, generally the removing of the character profile(which you did by deleting the settings folder) should resolve issue like this. Working on the assumption that this is only for a single character rather then account wide, what I'd like you to do is try remove the character profile from inside the settings folder, which appears like this;
  • heXXXX_ Bronholz_PlayerGUIState.
Choose the one that represents the character in question and delete this.

Please then run the Repair function from the launcher, this will check for and repair any corruptions in your game files. You can find this by logging into the launcher and clicking the cog icon.

Thanks for your patience.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Geneari
01.31.2013 , 07:50 PM | #4
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

I didn't know about the bug report ticket thing, thanks for the explanation.

Problem I am having occurs on all of my characters not just one, if that makes a difference. I deleted the files and am running the repair utility. I hope it works.