Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming policy has gone through the window ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Naming policy has gone through the window ?

Cylnael
01.26.2013 , 07:22 PM | #1
I saw it run like hell was unleashed at its &#!@# !!

I'm playing on "The Progenitor" and BW assured us it was an RP server. I know there's no special naming policy for RP servers but i had hoped BW would at least take a strong position on naming on that kind of server.

Now, i have my doubts ...

Granted things went very messy since the F2P but i've got names in ignore since the beginning that are still there. Were they deemed legitimate ? Perhaps, after all, i might be a little more sensitive on some cases than BW is.

Anyway, as i can't name specific characters here i will take look a like like those players do.

Is there a naming policy enforced when i see characters with name like : Mhalak (yep directly from KotoR), Husul (directly from Dune) or even better Jhon Wayne or Hagatha Christie running around (Yes, dear CM, all the names have been slightly changed and aren't the actual names i've got in my ignore list, you can check)

We also got various Gods and goddess from various period of earth history and other famous historical and or fictional characters and sentence names like : "Imgonnakillyou fastandeasy" or "ipwnyou forbreakfast"

My point being : i know stupid names can happen in the real world, i know parent called wayne sometimes call their child john but i went to an RP server to avoid that kind of behavior i consider rude to my immersion in the game.

Since F2P the situation on that front became intolerable and i'm doing CS tickets one after the other to report the most stupid/offensive/out of context.

But it's not my job, i've got other things to do.

So, i know it's a boring part of the job but it must be done and i pay you to do it, PLEASE BW take the all list of player and launch a renaming campaign like no other on the face of these game to get rid of those who don't even care to roll those names on an RP server.

Please, pretty please, with the cherry and all. Thank you, in advance, for your efforts.

P.S. : believe it or not most of those players didn't went even that far to twist the names they are copying ...

Klarick
01.26.2013 , 07:33 PM | #2
The naming policy, though clearly stated in the rules-of-conduct, has never been enforced. I have reported a large number of people for very obscene names. But, months later and they are still walking around. I would love to list some of the ones I have reported, but I think I am not allowed to. It should be embarrissing to Bioware that they cannot control this issue. But like long existing bugs, they just ignore them mostly.
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

Cylnael
01.27.2013 , 08:45 AM | #3
Could we at least :

- Put entire legacy in ignore list, sometimes the name is alright but the legacy name is the problem but i must list every single character one by one and when i make my CS ticket i can't always remember the offending legacy name.

- Have the possibility to put ignore notes, its there for friends but not for ignore, again it would give us the possibility to know ifs a problem of only of naming or if there's also a problem of behavior, rudeness, bully or anything else and put them in the appropriate ticket when i do my lists.

- Have the name disappear from the ignore list when they get theyr rename, i've got one inquisitor_### in my list i know it's the only one that has been renamed so far but there's no reason for me to keep it there considering the rename has been done (for once ... )

symke
01.28.2013 , 02:34 AM | #4
Since naming has nothing to do with Cartel market, they don't care about it.

nattodaisuki
01.28.2013 , 03:09 AM | #5
Warning :

If you /report names too often, you'll likely get a temporary ban

I read a post here from a angered subscriber about a month ago saying he received a temporary ban for too many names /reported
My slightly over-spec Rig, built specifically for Swtor: Core i7 3820 OC'ed @4.6GHz / MSI X79A-GD65 Mobo / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz 8GB x8 / Four 120GB 6Gb/s SSD in RAID0 / nVidia GTX Titan / Enermax Platimax 1200 watt PSU / 3 Acer HN274Hbmiiid 3D Compatible 27inch monitors. CPU and the GTX Titan are custom water-cooled.

bespinsystem
01.31.2013 , 07:52 AM | #6
I'd just like to point out, per the OP's first post, there is no one in any of Frank Herbert's literature named "Husul". You're thinking of "Usul", which, despite your best efforts, is not the same as "Husul". Don't confuse your own ignorance with other players' concerted, conspiratorial efforts to make you sad.

You don't have to group with them, you don't have to talk to them, you don't even have to look at them. Looking at someone's online avatar's screen name long enough to decide that you're going to take offense to it is YOUR problem.

This is a non-issue, and you're just creating drama for the sake of creating drama. That's far more destructive to a gaming community than someone naming their avatar "Burney Halleck" or even "Fluke Starjumper". George Lucas hasn't taken Star Wars seriously since 1983....why should you???

Surrealean
01.31.2013 , 08:28 AM | #7
The name of this thread is rather misleading. As you even state yourself in your thread, there is no special rule enforcement for naming on RP servers. They don't police names that are "out-of-context", only names which are inappropriate according to the Terms of Service.

I can understand WHY you feel this way, but I don't understand why you feel they aren't doing their jobs. It's right there in the server description before you even login. I wouldn't, but I could make a "Darth Susan" and "Jedi Billy" right now and it'd be completely legit.

puffinsith
01.31.2013 , 08:29 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
The naming policy, though clearly stated in the rules-of-conduct, has never been enforced. I have reported a large number of people for very obscene names. But, months later and they are still walking around. I would love to list some of the ones I have reported, but I think I am not allowed to. It should be embarrissing to Bioware that they cannot control this issue. But like long existing bugs, they just ignore them mostly.
keep in mind not all names are offensive in there intent i have a character called " puffinreefer " which alot of people take as a drug reference, however the Puffin is a bird ( look it up ) and a " reefer " is a person who is in the hobby of keeping and maintenance of a salt water coral reef tank.and since the puffin is a fav bird of mine all my toons for the most part have that as the first part in their name.
and why care about the problems in the game when your customer base has to incur a charge to call ( sorry this piss's me off a bit ) you wont hear a peep except on the forums...and will time makes all this fade away....so bio ware is happy in there little hole counting money

Cylnael
01.31.2013 , 08:37 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by bespinsystem View Post
I'd just like to point out, per the OP's first post, there is no one in any of Frank Herbert's literature named "Husul". You're thinking of "Usul", which, despite your best efforts, is not the same as "Husul". Don't confuse your own ignorance with other players' concerted, conspiratorial efforts to make you sad.

You don't have to group with them, you don't have to talk to them, you don't even have to look at them. Looking at someone's online avatar's screen name long enough to decide that you're going to take offense to it is YOUR problem.

This is a non-issue, and you're just creating drama for the sake of creating drama. That's far more destructive to a gaming community than someone naming their avatar "Burney Halleck" or even "Fluke Starjumper". George Lucas hasn't taken Star Wars seriously since 1983....why should you???
I told i transformed his name ... In game his name IS Usul ...

Cylnael
01.31.2013 , 08:40 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Surrealean View Post
The name of this thread is rather misleading. As you even state yourself in your thread, there is no special rule enforcement for naming on RP servers. They don't police names that are "out-of-context", only names which are inappropriate according to the Terms of Service.

I can understand WHY you feel this way, but I don't understand why you feel they aren't doing their jobs. It's right there in the server description before you even login. I wouldn't, but I could make a "Darth Susan" and "Jedi Billy" right now and it'd be completely legit.
I'm just asking for the usual existing naming policy as stated in this link