Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stop posting your IP address information!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Stop posting your IP address information!!!

Themanthatisi
01.31.2013 , 07:27 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Eszi View Post
Huh? Since when did IP adress become a top-secret thing again?
You do realise that there's a ton of websites/website elements that record it?
If someone did want to hack you, knowing your ip would be the smallest issue anyway.
blind leading the blind....

Stoofa
01.31.2013 , 07:38 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
I really do not think everyone has YOUR network....
Did you edit your own post or was it edited for you? Maybe your IP address was found and you were hacked?

You are scare mongering.
As the post was aimed at me (as well as others I'm sure) I felt that I should post a response to explain why I did not attempt to hide any IP addresses.
Can you explain to me exactly what use an internal, non-routable IP address is to somebody outside of your network?
Remembering that most ISP and commercial level devices assign addresses from the same 192 address range?
As for my public IP address - this is available to anyone and everyone. Funnily enough this is how the internet works - if somewhere doesn't know my IP address I'm not going to get very far.
My external address here at work is the same external address used by over 300 people and other services.
My connection with SWTOR is encrypted….I could go on, but there is no security issue with sharing my external address and certainly no security issue with sharing my internal one.

I am not saying that security should not be taken seriously. I doubt there is anyone here who is accessing the net without having at the very least a software firewall. Most who are on broadband will be behind some kind of hardware device.
However there is “being security minded” and there is “scaring the heck out of people online who suddenly think their IP address can lead to hacking, spoofing and the theft of their account details and ID”.

RangerJaK
01.31.2013 , 07:51 AM | #13
Stoofa is correct, please ignore this scare mongering post.

It's amazing how dangerous a little knowledge can be

LohKey
01.31.2013 , 10:19 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
Did you edit your own post or was it edited for you? Maybe your IP address was found and you were hacked?

You are scare mongering.
As the post was aimed at me (as well as others I'm sure) I felt that I should post a response to explain why I did not attempt to hide any IP addresses.
Can you explain to me exactly what use an internal, non-routable IP address is to somebody outside of your network?
Remembering that most ISP and commercial level devices assign addresses from the same 192 address range?
As for my public IP address - this is available to anyone and everyone. Funnily enough this is how the internet works - if somewhere doesn't know my IP address I'm not going to get very far.
My external address here at work is the same external address used by over 300 people and other services.
My connection with SWTOR is encrypted….I could go on, but there is no security issue with sharing my external address and certainly no security issue with sharing my internal one.

I am not saying that security should not be taken seriously. I doubt there is anyone here who is accessing the net without having at the very least a software firewall. Most who are on broadband will be behind some kind of hardware device.
However there is “being security minded” and there is “scaring the heck out of people online who suddenly think their IP address can lead to hacking, spoofing and the theft of their account details and ID”.
really so it would be that hard to do a c:/> Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more to get the server addresses and ports, than see your PUBLIC IP address that your traceRT puts out, (even with NAT overload, you can't hide that you're connecting to SWTOR, you only change ports with new connections, not IPs.) Than wait for your connection attempt to SWTOR. And just FYI fomr what I can tell SWTOR does not offer an encrypted service, maybe for login, but even that would not be a hard nut to crack if you have enough logins recorded. The only people really safe are the ones with security-key-gens. Your connection, your chat, it's all plain text, and anyone looking for your IP can see your connection to the server, they don't have to hijack a site in your building, just one of the routs on the way, it only takes 1 lazy admin and a brute force cracker. than from there you better hope the ASA. IPS/IDS are configured correctly and maybe toss in some ACL's to make it interesting, because jacking into your office/computer from that point is easier to do than it is to prevent.

It doesn't matter how many years IT you have, if someone wants to get into your system they will find a way, firewall, or millions $$ in security hardware. It takes 1 mess up, or sometimes you don't have to do anything wrong and you'll still be vulnerable.
Pawning your Jedi Like A *** *** girl scout ***** *** ******* in your moms ****** *****!!
BH since 2004!
CE

Stoofa
01.31.2013 , 07:10 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by LohKey View Post
really so it would be that hard to do a c:/> Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more to get the server addresses and ports, than see your PUBLIC IP address that your traceRT puts out, (even with NAT overload, you can't hide that you're connecting to SWTOR, you only change ports with new connections, not IPs.) Than wait for your connection attempt to SWTOR. And just FYI fomr what I can tell SWTOR does not offer an encrypted service, maybe for login, but even that would not be a hard nut to crack if you have enough logins recorded. The only people really safe are the ones with security-key-gens. Your connection, your chat, it's all plain text, and anyone looking for your IP can see your connection to the server, they don't have to hijack a site in your building, just one of the routs on the way, it only takes 1 lazy admin and a brute force cracker. than from there you better hope the ASA. IPS/IDS are configured correctly and maybe toss in some ACL's to make it interesting, because jacking into your office/computer from that point is easier to do than it is to prevent.

It doesn't matter how many years IT you have, if someone wants to get into your system they will find a way, firewall, or millions $$ in security hardware. It takes 1 mess up, or sometimes you don't have to do anything wrong and you'll still be vulnerable.
Wow - throwing some technical terms makes your post all that more impressive?
I think I'll leave this thread now, I've said my piece.
The OP posted an apocalyptic idea that by revealing an internal IP address I'd somehow committed a major breach of security protocol.
I addressed this post by explaining that no, I hadn't. That the revelation of my own internal IP address, the internal IP address of my router and gateways was not going to compromise my/our network.
I am extremely confident in my own knowledge and that of my security team - to the point where I know my network is extremely safe.