Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stop posting your IP address information!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Stop posting your IP address information!!!

Themanthatisi
01.30.2013 , 08:39 PM | #1
I am also having connection issues and reading the posts to catch up. I am looking at something you do NOT want to be doing in a forum, that may also be looked at by very malicious people, such as hackers. When you do a TRACERT and post your information, it would be best to REMOVE your internal and external IP information.

This is usually the first 2 lines you see....

Safe computing all...

MikeTheDuke
01.30.2013 , 08:42 PM | #2
It is good to see some helpful information. I would second this, these IP addresses are insignificant since they are most like the lowest numbers in the trace route anyway
I post about Star Wars on my blog. Check it out
http://xnagamedeveloper.wordpress.co...ory/star-wars/
MikeDodgers @YouTube

ASCIIrider
01.30.2013 , 08:46 PM | #3
Or, if you're going to post it.. edit the info in the first couple hops which are usually your router and your IP address.

Not hard to change it like this

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1 (router)

2 35 ms 31 ms 29 ms 71.239.*.* (actual IP address edited)

3 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms 68.86.117.201

Cerconus
01.30.2013 , 09:01 PM | #4
Thank you very much for posting this. As soon as I read it I went into post and edited. I don't know why I didn't think of that when I first posted. Again, thank you OP

Themanthatisi
01.30.2013 , 09:47 PM | #5
No problem... Bioware should "sticky" this as well or put up their own message stating something similar.

I also noticed, when they replied in a thread asking for this info, they did not remind people to protect themself.

Hopefully others will read this and edit their posts as well.

Cerconus
01.30.2013 , 10:21 PM | #6
Well, I feel double stupid....I'm majoring in CIS/Networking....I should know better lol

Stoofa
01.31.2013 , 05:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
I am also having connection issues and reading the posts to catch up. I am looking at something you do NOT want to be doing in a forum, that may also be looked at by very malicious people, such as hackers. When you do a TRACERT and post your information, it would be best to REMOVE your internal and external IP information.

This is usually the first 2 lines you see....

Safe computing all...
I posted Trace information and I also left in the first lines that indicate internal IP addresses.
I also work as an IT Manager.
There is no real risk from leaving this information in. These are internal IP addresses which cannot be routed outside of the network. My firewalls at the edge of our corporate network stop any incoming attacks. If my firewall were to be breached the fact somebody knows my internal IP address would be the very least of my trouble.
If somebody actually gets to the inside of my network knowing/not knowing the internal IP address of a machine will make absolutely no difference.

Trust me, as somebody who has been working in the IT industry for 20 years (past 15 in technical, past 2 in management) - that information alone is not going to help anyone attack my network.

OwenBrooks
01.31.2013 , 05:41 AM | #8
Hey Stoofa,

My thoughts as well but at the time I couldnt be bothered pointing out the fact it was a 192 block address and the IP at no 2 was there ISP and not their router or assigned IP.

Still if there was the odd setup out there it is a good idea for them to check it's not displaying something it shouldn't and delete it if it is.

Eszi
01.31.2013 , 05:48 AM | #9
Huh? Since when did IP adress become a top-secret thing again?
You do realise that there's a ton of websites/website elements that record it?
If someone did want to hack you, knowing your ip would be the smallest issue anyway.

Themanthatisi
01.31.2013 , 07:25 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
I posted Trace information and I also left in the first lines that indicate internal IP addresses.
I also work as an IT Manager.
There is no real risk from leaving this information in. These are internal IP addresses which cannot be routed outside of the network. My firewalls at the edge of our corporate network stop any incoming attacks. If my firewall were to be breached the fact somebody knows my internal IP address would be the very least of my trouble.
If somebody actually gets to the inside of my network knowing/not knowing the internal IP address of a machine will make absolutely no difference.

Trust me, as somebody who has been working in the IT industry for 20 years (past 15 in technical, past 2 in management) - that information alone is not going to help anyone attack my network.
I really do not think everyone has YOUR network....