Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Personality Differences between Imp and Pub

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > The Shadowlands
Personality Differences between Imp and Pub

Ifolad
01.30.2013 , 01:00 PM | #1
OK.... granted: Lots of people play both sides pub and imp, like myself I have 50's on both sides. That being said, We all know if we are an Imperial or a Republic supporter at heart. I believe there is a personality difference between the Imperial side and Republic side. I see the best evidence of this in the PVP forums. Now stay with me and follow closely on this, from a pure RP standpoint i love that a lot of the Imperial side players whose comments I read are usually direct, sometimes insulting, and very brazen in their remarks. The Republic players are usually a little more polite, less blunt, and seem more willing to converse about said topic. Now before you "the reader" get all huffy puffy lets think about something. In the LORE we would assume that [I]most[I] Imps are the "villain" and pubs are the "heroes". Ok i think most of us can agree with the previous sentence. So then based on that, it doesn't really surprise me that players choose a side based on their personality indifference and it shows when they talk to other people and how they play, and which spec they make. For example: I know players that REFUSE to make a pub toon because they hate the "CAREBEAR" aspect of playing the Republic side as these players would rather Pureblood it up and take out REVENGE on all comers. Cool with me. I also know people like myself who are in general "lightsided" people and make jedi to save the galaxy. Which is also cool. Has anyone else experienced this or even took the time to think about it? This post is purely a format for me to express my observations and is in no way intended to bully, troll, support, derail, or in anyway affect your playstyle, character choice, or preferred method of roaming about your world. Just an observation. If you actually took the time to read this, cheers, give me your 2 cents as well. Take care.

-Ifolad
-Ifo

DrewFromPhilly
01.30.2013 , 01:20 PM | #2
Eh, I just prefer the Imp side because the quests aren't as boring and tedious as the pub side, which makes leveling a lot more tolerable. There's also the more fashionable armor.

Some of the pub quests were cool though, I really liked the jedi knight class story...

Edit: also, death from above > mortar strike and force lightning > pebbles, etc.

Ifolad
01.30.2013 , 01:41 PM | #3
Agreed, i really enjoyed the warrior and merc story lines, wasn't so much of a fan of the inquisitor story line though. I also really enjoyed the smug, trooper, and consular storylines, and am currently about to finish act 1 on my knight. LOL see I am a pub at heart even though my first toon was a warrior.

jibboo
01.30.2013 , 01:42 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DrewFromPhilly View Post

Edit: also, death from above > mortar strike and force lightning > pebbles, etc.
DFA and Lightning definitely look cooler, but the mortar strike and pebbles animations are stealthier making it a little more challenging to find the source thus giving the casters a slight advantage in PVP.

As for the topic at hand, I found personality differences in players in WoW back when it first came out. Horde players we're definitely kinder and more helpful. Not sure if it's still that way or not though.

I don't see any personality differences in players in SWTOR however.
Zimbra - Assassin

Lalainnia
01.30.2013 , 01:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by jibboo View Post
DFA and Lightning definitely look cooler, but the mortar strike and pebbles animations are stealthier making it a little more challenging to find the source thus giving the casters a slight advantage in PVP.

As for the topic at hand, I found personality differences in players in WoW back when it first came out. Horde players we're definitely kinder and more helpful. Not sure if it's still that way or not though.

I don't see any personality differences in players in SWTOR however.
pffffffffffffft heat>ammo advantage canceled!
Donna-Commando-Combat Medic
When we care for others our own strength to live increases. When we help people expand their state of life, our lives also expand. Actions to benefit others are not separate from actions to benefit oneself.

RyanReagan
01.30.2013 , 02:03 PM | #6
I have a pub toon and I hate playing him in PvP. The pub guilds I've played alongside are either:

a) HORRIBLE. PvE gear in PvP. Not open to suggestions.
b) CHEESEY. Rely on queue dodging to get wins.

At first glance I'd think the two things sort of evolved because of themselves. There are so many of "a" that the good ones end up having to rely on being "b". But then I remember there were plenty of good PvP Guilds back in the days. (White Talons, Invalid Target, LBIC). Not sure where this behavior came from but I'm unaware of it happening imp-side.

And, in general, a lot of the things I say to people are all in good fun. But since the pubs have limited interaction with me and i'm routinely destroying them, they probably see the "good fun" differently than I do.
C.K. <Infinite Darkness> S.N. <Infinite Darkness> K.R. <Infinite Darkness> C.K. <Infinite Darkness>

veyl
01.30.2013 , 03:38 PM | #7
@OP. I took the time to read your wall of text but it was painful. Paragraphing would've helped a ton!

I don't see the difference in either side. Both are filled with the same amount of Dbags // trolls and Elitist *****s as well as genuinely nice individuals who enjoy a good conversation or are helpful. The negative side is more noticeable with Imperials purely because there's more of a player base.

I will say this though (Personality aside): Doing LFG on republic side has been far worse of an experience then it has Imp side with both the flashpoints and the operations. It just feels like there are more "raider' types imp side who have a basic grasp of how to play... and that very well could be the population imbalance I was referring to earlier, but still.

KyarraKyndheart
01.30.2013 , 03:41 PM | #8
I'm imp side because I didn't want to throw powder puffs and cat litter!
Kyarra Kyndheart
Unconquered's Sassy Mistress
"Good girls are bad girls that never get caught."

dasKube
01.30.2013 , 03:49 PM | #9
Got every class to 50 but play my knight and consular mostly. Only reason being i leveled my sorc during the week long early access, had noone to play with then leveled a sage and knight and found a group to play with. Now i just cant be bothered to grind the pvp gear on my imps.
Batting under .300 in pug pvp warzones is painful at times as the people i used to play with have all quit.
At this point probably just do my daily pvp quest on my knight until the expac comes out.
Didn't really add anything meaningfull to this thread but I felt like typing.
"Evil 'round every corner. Careful not to step in any."
Smidge- lvl 50 sage
and many many many alts

KyarraKyndheart
01.30.2013 , 06:18 PM | #10
Oh and imp side has cookies.
Kyarra Kyndheart
Unconquered's Sassy Mistress
"Good girls are bad girls that never get caught."