Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lose 15k Per Sale, Make it up with volume!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Lose 15k Per Sale, Make it up with volume!

DarthBama
01.30.2013 , 10:16 AM | #1
I was crunching some numbers on the augment kits, and I just don't get the prices. It takes at a minimum 4 mats plus 2 of the $450 vendor crafting mats to get 1 mk-6 component. For a level 6 kit, that is about $4900 per augment component times 10, $49,000 (not including the mats for the construction of the kit itself). People on the Harbinger have oodles of them for sale at $36k. What in the heck are people thinking?

Opioid
01.30.2013 , 10:34 AM | #2
You assume that people selling augment kits for that price are paying full market value for the base materials. In all likelihood, they are not.

When I craft augment kits, I use the mats that I gather from crew skill missions and occasional farming while doing dailies. Selling them for 36k or less on the GTN nets a very nice profit as they cost me next to nothing to gather. The only major cost to farming the mats yourself and REing to get the components is the time investment.

DarthBama
01.30.2013 , 10:56 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Opioid View Post
You assume that people selling augment kits for that price are paying full market value for the base materials. In all likelihood, they are not.

When I craft augment kits, I use the mats that I gather from crew skill missions and occasional farming while doing dailies. Selling them for 36k or less on the GTN nets a very nice profit as they cost me next to nothing to gather. The only major cost to farming the mats yourself and REing to get the components is the time investment.
Wouldn't it be in your interests to sell the mats instead of make the kits? Would save a heck of a lot of time, and you would make more money.

Opioid
01.30.2013 , 11:00 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBama View Post
Wouldn't it be in your interests to sell the mats instead of make the kits? Would save a heck of a lot of time, and you would make more money.
Perhaps, but crafting a bunch of junk to RE and then grinding through all of it and crafting kits gives me something to do while I'm standing around on fleet with nothing else better to do with my time.

abokado
01.30.2013 , 11:11 AM | #5
Same with those exotech stims, I looked at the prices and got to the conclusion that it takes 16-20k to make one stim. And there are people who sell them for 13k. Heck, I saw someone selling them for 9k! The horror! Sure, those people don't buy the mats and gather them themselves - but that is still time invested and time is money; they could've used the time to gather them instead for running dailies or something. They probably didn't do the math or don't take into account that they are still "paying" with their time and just keep on undercutting. Bah, really makes no sense for me at all to sell them at the current market.

rob_y
01.30.2013 , 11:35 AM | #6
Everyone doing these calculations needs to take a few things into account:

1.) As mentioned above, you don't want to use the full asking price for mats on the GTN. The value of something isn't determined by how much someone is trying to sell it for - it's determined by where the buyers and sellers are meeting. (this is also how you do away with the "just sell the mats" argument - people don't just sit there buying every mat on the GTN... a lot of those don't ever sell).

2.) You need to account for the mats you get back when REing something. If I make a belt and then RE it for the augmentation component, I not only get one component, I get 1-2 mats back. So, it actually takes 2-3 mats per component, not 4.

3.) You need to account for crits in crafting the kits themselves. So, per kit that comes out of this process, you used less than 10 components. If you have a 15% crit chance, then for every 100 components, you end up with 11.5 kits.

Adding #2 and #3 together, you end up with something like (conservatively assuming it's 3 mats per component) 3x100 mats yielding 11.5 kits (and of course, you also use the 400 credit buyable mats).

In terms of farming mats, that ends up being 26 mats per kit. Now, I won't try to put a hard value on the mats, but when you say it costs 26 mats + the piece you can get from the vendor (you need at most 11 of those, so 4400 credits), the price of 35k doesn't seem so low.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

Skodan
01.30.2013 , 12:36 PM | #7
i kept a spreadsheet for my synthweaver with a couple columns:

costs: included any archaeology/slicing missions i sent comps on for mats
sales: amount i made from selling augments

profit: sales minus costs

i did this because i too thought i wouldnt make that much, it turned out i was wrong, in a couple weeks of tracking i had made more than 5 million
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

RikuvonDrake
01.30.2013 , 01:13 PM | #8
I have gone from selling kits to selling the mats from it and are getting a lot more in profit, would recommend you guys to at least try it out if you are in dire need of credits, if you have to much time, then feel free to continue crafting and selling the kits.
Dread Master - Deposer of The Dread Masters - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Riku - Rikacha - Rikachu - Rikachi - Rikache - Rikachacha - Rikache
Ruthless | Susannah - Fauna - Wildthorn - Krewel - Montör
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

DarthBama
01.30.2013 , 01:39 PM | #9
Great feedback in here. Thank you! I definitely was missing some points. I am currently crafting a bunch of mk-6 that were generated from me going for a full purple mid-40 Synthweaving tank set.

Frostbyt
01.30.2013 , 03:17 PM | #10
Kids just don't understand opportunity cost. They just see it as pure profit since they farmed the materials themselves. I can craft the kits but still end up just buying them off the gtn when I need them.
The Harbinger, Krath Origin
Frost'byte PT • Frost'bite OpMed • Frostbit Sorc • Nomadis Mara • Fróstbite Sniper
Armor'mech CombatMedic • Armsdealer GS • $%^&2 Guard