Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is the game suddenly so unstable?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Why is the game suddenly so unstable?

dermitni
01.30.2013 , 03:55 AM | #1
I've played SWTOR since July and never really had problems with it. Since Yesterday though, the stability seems to have completely vanished:
- Yesterday, Section X was unplayable due to massive Lag Spikes every 20 - 30 seconds (funny thing is, e.g. on Alderaan, Tatooine and Dromund Kaas I did not encounter even one spike in the time I test-visited them to see if it is a general problem)
- Last night, while being in a group for the False Emperor, my SWTOR client suddenly lost the connection to the server and presented me a neverending loading screen (after waiting five minutes, I had to shutdown the process manually; thankfully my team waited for me to reconnect)
- Starting today, the game crashes every 30 minutes to Desktop without any warning (my Windows event log does not mention the crashes though, which is wierd)

And before you ask: No, I did not test a new Beta driver or other new program in the last days. Also the last Windows update I did is at least two weeks old, and at that time there were no problems. Otherwise my hardware drivers have been working fine with SWTOR since July and since I did not update any of them since December, I'm sure they are not causing the crashes.

Regarding my Internet connection: As bad a game as GW2 may be (regarding class balance), I not even once had problems holding the connection to their servers. Also, I can download stuff, upload stuff, stream Videos and surf the web just fine with my apart from SWTOR completely stable Internet connection.

So, the question is, why is the connection to your server (The Progenitor) currently so shaky and unstable?

Regards, Niko
The Progenitor: Hran'orfon - Chiss Ascendancy Sniper Vidaar Amakiir - Imperial Honor Guard
Jung Ma: Lythe Vodaine - Jedi Healer

WobblyBits_X
01.30.2013 , 04:06 AM | #2
yesterday was doing premade pvp with guildies on The Red Eclipse, theyre in various parts of europe, me in NZ and all about the same time we started getting lagspikes of 1000-8000.
teamspeak connections were completely steady the entire time.
after maybe 15mins the spikes worsened to as much as 150,000ms without disconnecting.
it took around 30mins for /1 to flare up with noise about the sudden lag, but nobody was saying they were not experiencing it.
this was all about 18hrs ago. now when i try to log in the connection reads at 20,000+ms as soon as the load screen goes and boots me to a broken (?) load screen instead of character/server selection.
Defeating a Sandwich only makes it Tastier

OwenBrooks
01.30.2013 , 04:16 AM | #3
can you login to the red eclipse now mate , i just logged into there now at 350ms again but i did see it spike 500-600ms looking for the location of that now , not getting disconnected though

WobblyBits_X
01.30.2013 , 04:26 AM | #4
after about 5th attempt ive finally been able to log in successfully. (1 attempt being log into launcher, load char selection, load game, booted to bugged load screen after ~30 secs, force quit)
Defeating a Sandwich only makes it Tastier

OwenBrooks
01.30.2013 , 04:48 AM | #5
no one seems to be having issues on red eclipse at present, me highest at 400ms (australia) others are saying 30ms :-)

Edit - Apologies OP not sure about progenitor

dermitni
01.30.2013 , 06:13 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Edit - Apologies OP not sure about progenitor
The Progenitor has been fine until recently. Since Yesterday though, people started complaining. So, my wilde guess is, that they (=EA) broke something recently, too, on Progenitor. Or maybe the server is grumpy because it didn't get its maintenance beauty sleep this week.

I have read a lot btw. about Red Eclipses instability, so my condolence to you. Hmmm... Maybe it's contagious and spread now to the Progrenitor?

Cheers, Niko
The Progenitor: Hran'orfon - Chiss Ascendancy Sniper Vidaar Amakiir - Imperial Honor Guard
Jung Ma: Lythe Vodaine - Jedi Healer

OwenBrooks
01.30.2013 , 06:29 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by dermitni View Post
The Progenitor has been fine until recently. Since Yesterday though, people started complaining. So, my wilde guess is, that they (=EA) broke something recently, too, on Progenitor. Or maybe the server is grumpy because it didn't get its maintenance beauty sleep this week.

I have read a lot btw. about Red Eclipses instability, so my condolence to you. Hmmm... Maybe it's contagious and spread now to the Progrenitor?

Cheers, Niko
If it was yesterday, then the issue likely affected progenitor as well, Cable and wireless feeds into the europe servers, so i am not surprised there was trouble yesterday for more then just red eclipse.

Seems to be ok for me now though, some minor spike (normal ping is about 400ms for from Australia but fluctuates up to 600) is occuring still so it may not be fixed totally, personnaly i think bioware need to approach cable and wireless (vodafone) for a please explain, as what i saw occur yesterday was certainly cable and wireless at fault.

Edit - I live in Australia and my ping is doubling between Australia to Hong Kong and Europe hence average of 400ms at the servers, I wonder if it is due to SEA-ME-WE 3 getting severed on the 10th January 2013 as it links South-East Asia - Middle East - Western Europe 3 and that data had to be re-routed somehow onto other links.

Singtel have sent a repair ship to the site, expected to arrive in early February

Egonce
01.30.2013 , 08:32 AM | #8
Yea Im not sure whats going on but I upgraded 2 enhancements last night and it downgraded ALL of my defensive stats. I am a worthless tank until they fix whatever the hell is going on.