Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Stunblade's Avatar


Stunblade
01.29.2013 , 09:49 AM | #61
Though I could drop by here, so, "SGR"? go for it. I honest love playing a female class, even though I'm a male irl. Is your character a male? isn't that gay by saying, "hey, my character's so rock!" or "I love my character(class)"? if not, how do you say about your character?

Here's my point of twist mind.
I played a female character because i love to see how epic looks she does as lightsaber or shooting a guns/snipers fight. But since this SWTOR have offer as romance able NPC, my character is a female character and "it's" cannot flirt or romance to female but a male npc, what about I'm as irl male.

I'm no RP or fan of star war Lore, but know this, they offer a "romance able" to your "Jedi" class, isn't that crossed the line?(surly, that would lead to dark side but dude, you are a "JEDI" for god sake!) and here's another one, I have seen many stupid player name in-game character and these are no related to star war theme.

Then again, I may not fan of star war lore but, know this, since your character in game romance has nothing do with "Star War" themes because of lacking family Trees, Your character's name will going to be ignore as in star war movies or story, so why not, SGR too? remember, it's only the games.

I think SGR should be add to PVE, PVP server onlly, but not RP,RP/PVP, because those people who are fan and love the Star War themes, and don't want to ruin the star war aspect. So i don't see why not. The reason why i am choosing a PVE, PVP, because those ppl who play on PVE will only like to see your character epic fight to these monster, beating a JEDI and Sith in no sense way, etc and same goes to PVP by repeating killing enemy player without reasonable, so why not SGR too, no need to be in sense of star war themes but RP server, leave these alone, they are deserve to respected it.

That's my mind twisted here.
(my eng grammar may be bad but I will edit it.)
Lack-luster Pvp server

natashina's Avatar


natashina
01.29.2013 , 01:57 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Stunblade View Post
Though I could drop by here, so, "SGR"? go for it. I honest love playing a female class, even though I'm a male irl. Is your character a male? isn't that gay by saying, "hey, my character's so rock!" or "I love my character(class)"? if not, how do you say about your character?

Here's my point of twist mind.
I played a female character because i love to see how epic looks she does as lightsaber or shooting a guns/snipers fight. But since this SWTOR have offer as romance able NPC, my character is a female character and "it's" cannot flirt or romance to female but a male npc, what about I'm as irl male.

I'm no RP or fan of star war Lore, but know this, they offer a "romance able" to your "Jedi" class, isn't that crossed the line?(surly, that would lead to dark side but dude, you are a "JEDI" for god sake!) and here's another one, I have seen many stupid player name in-game character and these are no related to star war theme.

Then again, I may not fan of star war lore but, know this, since your character in game romance has nothing do with "Star War" themes because of lacking family Trees, Your character's name will going to be ignore as in star war movies or story, so why not, SGR too? remember, it's only the games.

I think SGR should be add to PVE, PVP server onlly, but not RP,RP/PVP, because those people who are fan and love the Star War themes, and don't want to ruin the star war aspect. So i don't see why not. The reason why i am choosing a PVE, PVP, because those ppl who play on PVE will only like to see your character epic fight to these monster, beating a JEDI and Sith in no sense way, etc and same goes to PVP by repeating killing enemy player without reasonable, so why not SGR too, no need to be in sense of star war themes but RP server, leave these alone, they are deserve to respected it.

That's my mind twisted here.
(my eng grammar may be bad but I will edit it.)

Okay, I want to make sure I understand this. The wording of your post was very confusing, so here's my take on it:

You feel that SGRs should be only on PvP and PvE realms since they ruin RP by trashing existing lore. You do realize that homosexual relationships exist in the Star Wars EU(Extended Universe) and even in BioWare's games since 2003, correct? KOTOR, for example, had a lesbian SGR available in it.

If you want proof that homosexual relationships exist in other areas of the EU, here's an example:


Quote: Originally Posted by SGRA FAQ
11) Is SGR even canonically in Star Wars?



Yes! There are plenty of examples of SGRs in the Star Wars IP. In the games, it began with original Knights of the Old Republic in 2003, with the companion Juhani, who would only romance female Revans. There was also a same gender romance in the books as well, with Goran Beviin, who's husband was Medrit Vasur. Goran was first featured in the e-book Boba Fett: A Practical Man. The two of them were later fully realized in the book Sacrifice, both of which were by created by author Karen Traviss. They are officially recognized as canon by Lucasarts.
I'm not sure how removing a RP element from RP servers makes any sense at all. Don't want to participate in SGRs? Don't click the option. Done.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.29.2013 , 05:35 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Stunblade View Post
Though I could drop by here, so, "SGR"? go for it. I honest love playing a female class, even though I'm a male irl. Is your character a male? isn't that gay by saying, "hey, my character's so rock!" or "I love my character(class)"? if not, how do you say about your character?

Here's my point of twist mind.
I played a female character because i love to see how epic looks she does as lightsaber or shooting a guns/snipers fight. But since this SWTOR have offer as romance able NPC, my character is a female character and "it's" cannot flirt or romance to female but a male npc, what about I'm as irl male.

I'm no RP or fan of star war Lore, but know this, they offer a "romance able" to your "Jedi" class, isn't that crossed the line?(surly, that would lead to dark side but dude, you are a "JEDI" for god sake!) and here's another one, I have seen many stupid player name in-game character and these are no related to star war theme.

Then again, I may not fan of star war lore but, know this, since your character in game romance has nothing do with "Star War" themes because of lacking family Trees, Your character's name will going to be ignore as in star war movies or story, so why not, SGR too? remember, it's only the games.

I think SGR should be add to PVE, PVP server onlly, but not RP,RP/PVP, because those people who are fan and love the Star War themes, and don't want to ruin the star war aspect. So i don't see why not. The reason why i am choosing a PVE, PVP, because those ppl who play on PVE will only like to see your character epic fight to these monster, beating a JEDI and Sith in no sense way, etc and same goes to PVP by repeating killing enemy player without reasonable, so why not SGR too, no need to be in sense of star war themes but RP server, leave these alone, they are deserve to respected it.

That's my mind twisted here.
(my eng grammar may be bad but I will edit it.)
The problem is, Lore wise, TOR gets a lot of things wrong. Also, a Jedi shouldn't be darkside for romancing anyone. Romancing anyone in the Star Wars universe isn't about Lightside or Darkside. The Jedi try to forbid it, as loving someone can cause people to do some bad things, and these are people with OMGWTFUBERPOWERS!

Not to mention, the Jedi don't even keep that rule in effect all the time, and last I knew, during this time period, that rule shouldn't even be in place.

And to go along with more LORE, no Chiss would have called themself Smurfette (who's a blonde anyways people!), and we wouldn't have all these genre swapping going around that we see people do on RP servers anyways. RP server in TOR means nothing if the devs aren't willing to enforce it. All RP does is give RPers a server to point to and go "OH!"

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.29.2013 , 11:22 PM | #64
So, another idea on how to implement SGR with companions came to mind! It's quick and dirty, some may not like it one bit (maybe a lot).

NEW SKINS for companions that turn them into the opposite gender. But what about the voices? Have some people in the office stand up and do some voice acting.

dewayne's Avatar


dewayne
01.29.2013 , 11:32 PM | #65
i neither for or against sgr in tor. but i think if they introduce old companion its should be a optional download or free in the market..just my opinion on a way to appease everyone
Darlenee, Dewaynee Morningstar
Republic Trooper, Jedi Knight
I'm a life taker and a heartbreaker

SirGladiator's Avatar


SirGladiator
01.30.2013 , 01:38 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by dewayne View Post
i neither for or against sgr in tor. but i think if they introduce old companion its should be a optional download or free in the market..just my opinion on a way to appease everyone
It actually could be one of those 'marketplace' things, because one thing that struck me as particularly odd, is that you can literally change the race/color of your teammate, and nobody gets upset. I mean, for example, I like Mako being asian, I don't change her, but while I have no problem with somebody else using the 'customization' to change her to a different race, you'd think 'somebody' would be complaining about that being racist or something. But they don't, and that's good. Because its all about customizing your teammate any way you like, even if it isn't exactly 'politicly correct' to do so. So if you can use the customize option to change someone's color/race, there is absolutely no logic whatsoever why you couldn't use the customize option to allow players to change their teammate's romantic preference. And that's yet another way in which everybody wins. Your mako likes your male character, my mako likes my female character, she's not straight, she's not a lesbian, she's not bi, or anything else you can think of, she's just mako, she's whatever you want her to be. That has always been the point behind the way teammates were designed, to be very customizable, so you can truly make them your own unique teammate. This would just be one more form of customization, and quite frankly it would be a lot less controversial, theoretically anyway, than changing somebody's skin color/race. If people ever decided to take that seriously, they could get REALLY REALLY mad over something like that, race is a way more sensetive issue than two women in a romantic relationship, but happily they don't get upset about it, because its not done in any negative way, its just designed to let you customize your teammates in any way you want, and thats always a good thing. I think customization options generally have a price (though you get one for free at the beginning) so I'd say yes, the romance customization 'should' be a free option, but I wouldn't even mind if they charged for it, the same way they do for the other customization options (it isn't real money, or 'cartel money', its just regular pretend, in-game money, no big deal), however they wanted to do it would be fine with me. It really is amazing how many different ways there are to implement this, and yet we've waited well over a year for them to pick one and do it. Hopefully they'll finally pick one soon and get it done.

Stunblade's Avatar


Stunblade
01.31.2013 , 04:15 PM | #67
I didn't know it's exit, I wonder what's stopping em for available SGR in this games? beside, aren't current's business era is better accepting as same gender sex adversity than 90's? look at mass effects, fable, Grand Theif Auto, the ballad of gay tony!, um, what's else? oh yeah, Allods Online
SO, SGR? go for it. Nothing stopping u from choosing a flirt optional.
Lack-luster Pvp server

Talarchy's Avatar


Talarchy
01.31.2013 , 04:38 PM | #68
I don't support SGR in this game, or to phrase it better I don't support them wasting time on it at all, not until the mountain of *needed* fixes are applied.

That being said, video games are supposed to provide players with abilities and such that don't exist in the real world and emphasis them, and seeing as SGR does exist, it seems odd it wasn't a natural part of the games development.

No gay people working at Bioware? I doubt it lol
Re-subscribed SWTOR.. my server is empty and I can't pay for a transfer. Woo hoo, thanks bioware.

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
01.31.2013 , 06:53 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Talarchy View Post
I don't support SGR in this game, or to phrase it better I don't support them wasting time on it at all, not until the mountain of *needed* fixes are applied.
Every time they introduce a fix, something else will invariably break. That's just the nature of the beast. If we were to take your comment here to it's logical conclusion - nothing new would ever be added to the game, because there's always something needing fixing.

Also, as has been said before, there are multiple teams working on the game doing different things. For instance, they don't need the writers, artists, animators, and voice actors working on fixing game play system bugs.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
01.31.2013 , 08:02 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Talarchy View Post
I don't support SGR in this game, or to phrase it better I don't support them wasting time on it at all, not until the mountain of *needed* fixes are applied.

That being said, video games are supposed to provide players with abilities and such that don't exist in the real world and emphasis them, and seeing as SGR does exist, it seems odd it wasn't a natural part of the games development.

No gay people working at Bioware? I doubt it lol
As another poster has said there multiple teams working on all aspects of the game. Also I respectfully disagree that it would be a "waist" of time but rather a welcome addition to our character development. Also if it is presented to you and you do not wish to see it just do not participate in the conversation or avoid those options.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche