Pve dps

Dajuicebox

I don't care what people say that sorc is the worst dps, I wana play my sorc as dps and thats what I'm gonna do. I just need a little help figure out the build and to go either madness or lightning . I love the DoTs boost from madness and no cooldown on force lightning, but Thundering Blast is great especially if I'm put affliction on my targets.

this is the build i was going for http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZf0MMZcrbRsrkrc.2

Edited by Dajuicebox

Sorcs are not the worst DPS. That distinction belongs to operatives/smugglers. And sorc DPS is just fine for all current content. I've cleared everything up to Nightmare EC with my Sage and Sorc, both DPS.

I prefer a full madness build for its mobility and for double dotting bosses like Toth and Zorn and Firebrand and Stormcaller. Creeping Terror is a better skill than you think.

If you would rather go with a hybrid build, do the 1/12/28 that gives you Lightning Barrage. It will significantly boost your DPS over the build you posted.

Full Madness, full Lightning and the hybrid I mentioned are all fairly close to one another in DPS output. It comes down to which one better suits your playstyle and which one you enjoy more.

Sorcs are not the worst DPS. That distinction belongs to operatives/smugglers. And sorc DPS is just fine for all current content. I've cleared everything up to Nightmare EC with my Sage and Sorc, both DPS.

I prefer a full madness build for its mobility and for double dotting bosses like Toth and Zorn and Firebrand and Stormcaller. Creeping Terror is a better skill than you think.

If you would rather go with a hybrid build, do the 1/12/28 that gives you Lightning Barrage. It will significantly boost your DPS over the build you posted.

Full Madness, full Lightning and the hybrid I mentioned are all fairly close to one another in DPS output. It comes down to which one better suits your playstyle and which one you enjoy more.

the hybrid you posted is the one from noxxic and I was going for that but noticed that I barely use Lightning Strike and shock in pve. Whats the full madness build?

the hybrid you posted is the one from noxxic and I was going for that but noticed that I barely use Lightning Strike and shock in pve. Whats the full madness build?

This is the most common and best performing hybrid build for PvE: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201oZfcM0bZcMfRsMkrc.2

The rotation is incredibly simple. Keep affliction up at all times, re-applying right after it wears off so as not to clip the last damage tick. Death Field on cooldown. Crushing Darkness on cooldown with Wrath proc. Force lightning as filler and as priority when you have Lightning Barrage proc. You should never be using Lightning Strike in this build and should only use shock sparingly, usually while on the move. Otherwise you will run into force issues.

This is the full Madness build that I use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZf0MZcMfRsMkrfz.2

Similar rotation. Affliction and Creeping Terror should be re-applied right when they expire on the target. Death Field and Crushing Darkness (with Wrath proc) on cooldown. Force Lightning as filler. The main difference between this and the previously mentioned hybrid is that you trade Lightning Barrage for Creeping Terror. Creeping Terror does damage very similar to Affliction. It has a very high damage per cast time. It can be cast while on the move. It's also good for PvP because it has a 2-second root on 9 second cooldown. Some people prefer to take two points in Convection instead of Electric Induction for the slight boost to Crushing Darkness, but I prefer Electric Induction because the increased force efficiency allows me to use shock more often in highly mobile fights or lightning storm when there are AOE phases without running low on resources.

The Madness build allows you to up your DPS in multi-target boss fights like Toth and Zorn and Firebrand and Stormcaller by dotting both with Affliction and Creeping Terror. It has good mobility, which is increasingly important as tougher raids require more movement. And the rotation is not too difficult to master.

With either of these builds, it is also important that you time your Recklessness correctly. You should use the first charge on Force Lightning (each tick will crit), and your second charge on Death Field. If you add a Rakata power adrenal, you can do quite a lot of damage during burst phases. The cooldown on Recklessness is 1 minute 30 seconds, and the cooldown on the adrenal is 3 minutes, so you can use them together on every other use of Recklessness.

I actually prefer your full madness just because I do pvp from time to time. Also, I got Sith Efficacy and I dont feel like I'm getting much force back, and I pretty much spam my Force Lightning. Does it get better at higher lvls? I'm only lvl 28

I actually prefer your full madness just because I do pvp from time to time. Also, I got Sith Efficacy and I dont feel like I'm getting much force back, and I pretty much spam my Force Lightning. Does it get better at higher lvls? I'm only lvl 28

Sith efficacy basically makes force lightning cost next-to-nothing, as long as you get the full channel off. Combine that with your natural regen, and your force will actually go up a bit if you do nothing but force lightning.

Sith efficacy basically makes force lightning cost next-to-nothing, as long as you get the full channel off. Combine that with your natural regen, and your force will actually go up a bit if you do nothing but force lightning.

Ah I see, I was expecting to actually see some good amount force recovery but I get it now.

Ah I see, I was expecting to actually see some good amount force recovery but I get it now.

Eh you don't really need "recovery". You have 600 force. Until you get to zero, there's no harm in using it. You shouldn't have any problems running out of force as dps while leveling.

With the build I posted, which I use, you do in fact generate force when you channel force lightning and do not break it before the channel is done. You don't generate enough force that you can cast whatever else you want (like shock on cooldown). If you do the rotation as it supposed to be done, you will not run out of force even in long boss fights, and you shouldn't even come close. If you are throwing around a lot of force bubbles, casting heals, using force storm a lot, etc., you can certainly run out of force.

With any build, you have to consider resource management. This one just makes it easier than some of the alternatives.

• 4 months later...

I do BBC pretty good dps with a 00/30/16. I always have tons of force to use, have wrath amd madness to fill in gaps for affliction and crushing darkness. Andinstant chainlighting off of force storm or lighting strike (33% chance)

Someone tell me why this is bad?