Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who's Hurting Me? Big Hitters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Who's Hurting Me? Big Hitters

PerinnAybara
01.29.2013 , 10:35 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Aluvi View Post
Smash is without a doubt the hardest hitting thing in the game. However, the rest of the rotation is a bit lackluster number wise. True, A warrior can smash you for 5-6k and then hit you for 1.5-3k vicious slashes, but a Pyrotech PT will give you a 5k railshot, 4-5k rocket punch, another 5k railshot.. etc. In my experience PTs do more burst than a warrior, but it is over several abilities.
Hrm, a warrior's single target damage, after smashing, is lackluster in comparison to the (Strongest single target class in the game) with one of the highest DPS metrics. Hrm.... this doesn't add up. Their single target damage in between smash is fine, especially when they fall into execute range. Not to mention you just quoted the max damage a pyrotech powertech pt can do, if they crit every single time at the max of their damage range, + that rocket punch immediately refreshed the railshot. GOtta realize, although they have a +25 crit chance ability, they aren't like smash jugs with autocrit.

Compare a warriors damage against say an assassin, or a mercenary, and you still say the in between damage is lackluster? If they're sitting on a mercenary, that lackluster damage greatly exceeds what the mercernary is doing in return.

This is why I hate hate hate hate people who rationalize the damage that Smash does.
Character: Mathrim Cauthon, 50 Mercenary on Prophecy of the Five

Jarfunkz
01.29.2013 , 10:49 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Aluvi View Post
Smash is without a doubt the hardest hitting thing in the game. However, the rest of the rotation is a bit lackluster number wise. True, A warrior can smash you for 5-6k and then hit you for 1.5-3k vicious slashes, but a Pyrotech PT will give you a 5k railshot, 4-5k rocket punch, another 5k railshot.. etc. In my experience PTs do more burst than a warrior, but it is over several abilities.
LOL. A pyro pt will get 25% of their damage from their dot. Mara/Jugg/Sin all have more damage potential than PT.
VicVega

WaywardOne
01.29.2013 , 12:30 PM | #123
This isn't too tough to do in excel. Four columns:

Attack Name Total Damage Taken # of times hit Average damage

It's nice to know that smash is one of the hardest hitting attacks in the game if it isn't the hardest (who is arguing otherwise?) but that doesn't mean everything that does less is irrelevant. Burst is better than a dot but dots do kill ppl.

it almost sounds like you're making a case saying rage is the best single target pvp dps - I promise it is not.

DarthOvertone
01.29.2013 , 01:33 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Ybini View Post
Yeah it would be cool if my freighter flyby did its damage instantly. I wonder what it'd hit for if it did?
My Sniper's Orbital Strike was critting last night on opponents for 3,801. Of course, there is a big bright animation effect for the aoe so you would have to be a tard to stand in the area and eat the damage, but when it crits, it hits pretty hard. My Sniper also isn't min/maxed yet, less than halfway there.

Quote: Originally Posted by WaywardOne View Post
Burst is better than a dot but dots do kill ppl.
This is an interesting point, and I noticed it a lot in my logs. Like CC, every class seems to possess some form of DoT damage. That DoT damage starts to add up big time, especially if you have healers that don't cleanse. It isn't flashy like the big hits, but it certainly is significant in NWZs.
Alphabolt - Alphanoob - Alphawood - Garbage S1 Champion
The Bastion - #1 Stronk PvP Server
SWTOR 3.0: All Hail Maintenance Mode PvP!!