Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Talents for levelling a healer

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Talents for levelling a healer

TaoSWTOR's Avatar


TaoSWTOR
12.13.2012 , 02:26 AM | #1
Hi guys

Noob healer here. I've been taking the Force talents in tier 1 of the lightning tree after my first Black Talon run. Then I read the rest of the Sorcerer healing guide (), and now I'm wondering if I should head straight for Resurgence before doing anything else. For questing I could probably throw hotdogs at the mobs and still do fine* so it's more for flashpoints and heroics.

Thanks in advance!

* Levelled a disc priest in WoW in the days of yore before dual talents, so all talk of how slow levelling a healer in SWTOR is makes me go "PFFFFFFFT! Young people today!"

Vladnar's Avatar


Vladnar
12.19.2012 , 01:01 AM | #2
If youre a pve healer and thats the way its gonna stay right through and into ops then fine go full corruption and you'll be bang on with aoe healing and into ops no problems, but if you want to speed things up a tad then dps through to 50 and get the game going, then switch to full corruption for pve as they'll want your aoe heal, if you plan to pvp at all then its hybrid you're looking at and that depends if you want the bubble stun or not, at the moment, but we have a hybrid heal which is mainly corruption but you'll need the lightning bonus to shield and theres a nice couple at the bottom of madness but at 50 and picking points its pretty obvious to be fair.

Good luck and enjoy, whats the rush after all eh....just keep clouding their minds.
The time of the Empire is now truly upon us

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
12.19.2012 , 02:16 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TaoSWTOR View Post
Hi guys

Noob healer here. I've been taking the Force talents in tier 1 of the lightning tree after my first Black Talon run. Then I read the rest of the Sorcerer healing guide (), and now I'm wondering if I should head straight for Resurgence before doing anything else. For questing I could probably throw hotdogs at the mobs and still do fine* so it's more for flashpoints and heroics.

Thanks in advance!
Why did you choose to get the Tier 1 Lightning talents instead of starting with corruption and moving to Lightning after you're done there? Not that you probably won't be able to heal groups and FPs even like that, but you don't really need the extra force at low levels.

As for your question, personally, I went for Efficacious Currents before Resurgence, because I've found that bubbling everyone up helps more than a minor heal, but I guess it's a matter of preference, as long as you get both eventually.


Quote: Originally Posted by TaoSWTOR View Post
* Levelled a disc priest in WoW in the days of yore before dual talents, so all talk of how slow levelling a healer in SWTOR is makes me go "PFFFFFFFT! Young people today!"
Trust me, whoever said that has no idea how to play a sorcerer. Leveling is in absolutely no way slower. If anything it's faster. Less downtime for Seething, less deaths, you can solo Heroic 2s and depending on whether you keep Khem geared, some Heroic 4s too. After a while you get your first DPS companion and dpsing mobs is even faster than with Khem.
And don't even get me started on how much faster group finder will find you a group for FPs if you're healing. I've been trying to queue for Black Talon as a DPS with a Powertech I'm leveling and I haven't been able to find a group for 4 days now... My scoundrel healer is laughing her a... off, when GF pops 1min after I queue

TaoSWTOR's Avatar


TaoSWTOR
12.21.2012 , 08:22 AM | #4
Thanks for the advise. I've been playing my operative for a few days. Got back to the sorc and, no, I don't have force issues really, so I'll respec and go full corruption. Oddly, operative healing is fun but always makes me giddy, while sorc healing feels nice and comfy.

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
12.21.2012 , 07:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TaoSWTOR View Post
Thanks for the advise. I've been playing my operative for a few days. Got back to the sorc and, no, I don't have force issues really, so I'll respec and go full corruption. Oddly, operative healing is fun but always makes me giddy, while sorc healing feels nice and comfy.
It's called "the bubble effect"
I get that all the time switching between healing as a sorc and healing as an op. The bubble gives you a few more seconds to heal your ally. Ops don't have that and that's the one thing I really miss when healing with an OP. Well, that and the awesome sorc AOE heal.
BUT, you do get much better energy management, a free heal, a heal that restores your energy and an "oh ****, I ran out of energy" skill, as an OP. Plus, you are more mobile.

Shipwright's Avatar


Shipwright
01.21.2013 , 04:04 PM | #6
I just got the extra force from the lightening tree, and everything else is in the corruption tree. I keep geared up ( Khem too) and at lvl 23 so far has been smooth sailinbg. But, I always like healers, I have not played my toon that can't heal in many months. Healing just seems to makes battle less of a dps race and I like long CC abilities. The battles seem much more managed and controlled to me as a healer with good CC.

So not much of a hybrid at all for me, I probably will go right up the heals tree now. ...but, I do pve. PVP would be a different story I am poretty sure.

Funny thing, about Sorcs in demand as healers; on fleet somebody sent me a message asking me to heal an FP, but I never PUG anymore, in fact basically I play solo now. So I told them sorry but I don't do that, and they got extremely mad and said nobody should be allowed to play a sorc if they refuse to help groups. So it seems sorcs are quite popular for healing ( though in general healers are quite popular in any case)!

asbalana's Avatar


asbalana
01.24.2013 , 10:02 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Shipwright View Post
I just got the extra force from the lightening tree, and everything else is in the corruption tree. I keep geared up ( Khem too) and at lvl 23 so far has been smooth sailinbg. But, I always like healers, I have not played my toon that can't heal in many months. Healing just seems to makes battle less of a dps race and I like long CC abilities. The battles seem much more managed and controlled to me as a healer with good CC.

So not much of a hybrid at all for me, I probably will go right up the heals tree now. ...but, I do pve. PVP would be a different story I am poretty sure.

Funny thing, about Sorcs in demand as healers; on fleet somebody sent me a message asking me to heal an FP, but I never PUG anymore, in fact basically I play solo now. So I told them sorry but I don't do that, and they got extremely mad and said nobody should be allowed to play a sorc if they refuse to help groups. So it seems sorcs are quite popular for healing ( though in general healers are quite popular in any case)!
LOL, i play a sorc healer in duo with my wife who is a SM. It is a really strong team. We do not run any content that the two of us can't handle with our companions.

I also get unsolicited invites which I turn down. My experince has been that content that we two man (or man and woman) easily always becomes a challenge and struggle when I run in a four person pug. It amazes me that a two person walk through of a Heroic Four becomes a wipe fest when I do it with three other players.

So we are happy the way we play and play for our own enjoyment and not to satisfy a starnger's needs or wants.

Jadescythe's Avatar


Jadescythe
01.29.2013 , 12:44 PM | #8
I'm sure this thread is most likely useless to the OP after a few weeks, but I'll post something in case it is found by someone in the future. Your spec honestly won't matter for heroics at early levels (or any level really). Having your heals is enough to get through them and you'll probably have plenty of time to DPS anyway. FPs, on the other hand, are a different story. I would suggest taking the 2 points in increasing your force pool (Reserves in Lightning). You just never know how good the DPS you get will be in a FP and since you don't have consumption, running out of force is extremely inconvenient in long fights.

As for moving up the healer tree, Efficacious Currents is a better skill than Resurgence until you have the points to put into Force Bending, in which case Resurgence becomes infinitely more important. So I would suggest putting two points into Efficacious Currents and then respeccing when you hit the next level to take Resurgence and 2 points in Force Bending instead.
I have opinions and stuff