Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Autism Slur - Derogitory Player Name

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Autism Slur - Derogitory Player Name
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

WeadonismyMaster
01.28.2013 , 11:06 AM | #1
All,

On my primary server there is a player who has a name that is a 'slur' against people with Autism. ASD is not something to be joked about, it challenges individuals and many families worldwide. Some people are very profound, some are mild, more than you think, and I am sure you know some of us. Personally its something I have lived with everyday, my whole life.

If this player was using a drug, race, or same sex derogatory a report or two and it would have been addressed. I have reported this guy 6 times now, tickets just get closed, and no name change happens.

I know my feelings are hurt when I see this guy, plain and simple. I am a grown up, and understand the issue is with the player who is an idiot, but I also take issue with the support team not stepping up.

Does BW not recognize disability hate? So slurs against downs, amputees, with epilepsy are fine?

It makes me angry we get all the effort for SGR, which is great, but if you don't fit in the box, they don't hear you.

Darkondo
01.28.2013 , 01:28 PM | #2
What was the person's name exactly and what server was he on?

Emmcee
01.28.2013 , 03:27 PM | #3
This is going to come off as crass, but you should probably learn to grow a thicker skin in both the gaming world as well as the internet in general. If you are expecting people not to act like badly behaved, immature children ...or, when they do, you are expecting that they will get punished for it ...you have a real-life awakening coming to you.

TheBBP
01.28.2013 , 03:50 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Emmcee View Post
This is going to come off as crass, but you should probably learn to grow a thicker skin in both the gaming world as well as the internet in general. If you are expecting people not to act like badly behaved, immature children ...or, when they do, you are expecting that they will get punished for it ...you have a real-life awakening coming to you.
The difference is, here they signed an agreement to act appropriately. So, yes I do expect them to do so.

OP, report the name. If it passes their investigation, it will stay. If if doesn't, that person will be forced to change.

WeadonismyMaster
01.28.2013 , 04:37 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
The difference is, here they signed an agreement to act appropriately. So, yes I do expect them to do so.

OP, report the name. If it passes their investigation, it will stay. If if doesn't, that person will be forced to change.
That is the point, I entered in a agreement with BW/EA as well, and part of that has some clear conduct guidelines.

Elyssandra
01.28.2013 , 11:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Emmcee View Post
This is going to come off as crass, but...
I don't mean to offend but...

I don't want to sound racist but...

Just don't add the bits after the but ...it's never funny, wise or kind
and you know it's not, otherwise you wouldn't preface it.

CaptRavenous
01.29.2013 , 11:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by WeadonismyMaster View Post
On my primary server there is a player who has a name that is a 'slur' against people with Autism.
Alright. That sux. Agreed.

However...

What did you hope to accomplish by posting here? What would you like us to do OR what would you like to see happen as a result of your sharing this on the community forum?

While I support your cause, I do so by pointing out that the Customer Service forums are that way >.

I hope this helps you.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

ziphii
01.29.2013 , 08:41 PM | #8
I agree, people should not be able to have names that harass others. Disabilities are just as serious as racial or gender-based differences. For many people with disabilities, an online game like this is their outlet to pretend for a while that everything is different. A place where their character can move freely, participate fully in actions and conversations, and forget about the difficulties for awhile. This derogatory name referring to autism is not acceptable and should be changed.

And for those of you who say to get thicker skin, that's good advice, sure. But why not also ask people not to be jerks? Can't we at least try for both?

Jiminison
01.29.2013 , 10:58 PM | #9
Not trying to go against anyone here but are we sure that was the intent of this person and not their initials or maybe another explaination. ASD would be an acronym and not a slur if I am not mistaken and if it has to do with this maybe it is not for nefarious reasons maybe you should ask this person the meaning or just chat with them about it so that maybe it will clear things up for you. If they show it as mean spirited then yes by all means it needs to be fixed. Parents with children that have this condition tend to really embrace a "I wont let this win attitude" and it may just be a trivial way of showing respect in their own way peolple tend to do things that are questionable not knowing it may be seen in a negative way so talking with this person should help you in taking the next step.

WeadonismyMaster
01.30.2013 , 04:25 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
Not trying to go against anyone here but are we sure that was the intent of this person and not their initials or maybe another explaination. ASD would be an acronym and not a slur if I am not mistaken and if it has to do with this maybe it is not for nefarious reasons maybe you should ask this person the meaning or just chat with them about it so that maybe it will clear things up for you. If they show it as mean spirited then yes by all means it needs to be fixed. Parents with children that have this condition tend to really embrace a "I wont let this win attitude" and it may just be a trivial way of showing respect in their own way peolple tend to do things that are questionable not knowing it may be seen in a negative way so talking with this person should help you in taking the next step.
Fair points for certain. The person was using autistic as part of the name in a clearly derogatory way. ASD, is the acronym I used in this post, however, not the player name in question.