Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

MiaRB
01.27.2013 , 12:41 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
[COLOR=#CC9E42]Exactly. Mate, your talking bantha poodoo. How do you know so much about Disney, Abrams and Bad Robot - and everything else?
ummm, i know how to read.

im talking banttha poodoo? you and some others are kinda talking the poodooo. in this thread it was said that JJ was just the director of star trek which is not true. also has been said the JJ is just the director of the new star wars movie, which is not true.
can't wait for this game to come out!

jarjarloves
01.27.2013 , 01:18 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
also, lucasfilm is really no more and has zero say in anything. disney owns everything star wars and they have final say over everything. disney is a for profit big hollywood studio and their only concern is how much money the film with bring in. disney doesnt care about star wars anymore than viacom cared about star trek.
You would be wrong about that. Disney has had a very close relationship with Star Wars. If you had ever been to Star Wars weekends you would know that.

during which they invite the 501st a fan made storm trooper legion to join in on the parade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGDllBu-Qw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4HlOkvV_U

Disney is also the reason why the last two Star Wars celebrations were held in Orlando.

Yes Disney cares about profit but unlike Viacom they know the best way to maxize profit is to make something the best that it can be. That's why the Marvel movies are so freaking amazing right now.

MiaRB
01.27.2013 , 03:50 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
You would be wrong about that. Disney has had a very close relationship with Star Wars. If you had ever been to Star Wars weekends you would know that.

during which they invite the 501st a fan made storm trooper legion to join in on the parade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGDllBu-Qw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4HlOkvV_U

Disney is also the reason why the last two Star Wars celebrations were held in Orlando.

Yes Disney cares about profit but unlike Viacom they know the best way to maxize profit is to make something the best that it can be. That's why the Marvel movies are so freaking amazing right now.
i do think disney was the lesser of all evils as far as what hollywood studio lucas decided to sell star wars off too. but to think disney cares more for star wars or any franchise more than paramount cares about star trek isnt really true. the fact the disney did the exact same thing paramount/viacom did by putting the movie into the hands of JJ Abrams, his partner and his production company, says they are not being more protective of the star wars franchise than the owners of the trek movie franchise were.

JJ will make a movie that will make money and disney will be happy. but there is no reason to believe the new star wars movie is going really be any dif than the trek movies JJ has made.

Beniboybling
01.27.2013 , 04:12 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
i do think disney was the lesser of all evils as far as what hollywood studio lucas decided to sell star wars off too. but to think disney cares more for star wars or any franchise more than paramount cares about star trek isnt really true. the fact the disney did the exact same thing paramount/viacom did by putting the movie into the hands of JJ Abrams, his partner and his production company, says they are not being more protective of the star wars franchise than the owners of the trek movie franchise were.

JJ will make a movie that will make money and disney will be happy. but there is no reason to believe the new star wars movie is going really be any dif than the trek movies JJ has made.
Don't you listen? There is every reason! Why? Because unlike with Star Trek - JJ Abrams is coproducing with Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy. He's also co-producing with Kasdan and Kinberg. And has George Lucas as a consultant, who as a fan, will listen to. So thats 4 other people and a company. Not to mention the fact he's late to the party, Micheal Ardnt has already begun writing the script. And lets also remember that Star Wars is a whole different story. Its a ongoing saga not a reboot, so Abrams has to work within some sort of structure already set out for him. Disney has by no means handed the movie to Abrams like Viacom did Star Trek.

And finally Star Trek is a critically acclaimed film. So if it turns out anything like that, I'm happy. Personally I'd love to see Star Wars get at score of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and win an Oscar.

MiaRB
01.27.2013 , 04:55 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Don't you listen? There is every reason! Why? Because unlike with Star Trek - JJ Abrams is coproducing with Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy. He's also co-producing with Kasdan and Kinberg. And has George Lucas as a consultant, who as a fan, will listen to. So thats 4 other people and a company. Not to mention the fact he's late to the party, Micheal Ardnt has already begun writing the script. And lets also remember that Star Wars is a whole different story. Its a ongoing saga not a reboot, so Abrams has to work within some sort of structure already set out for him. Disney has by no means handed the movie to Abrams like Viacom did Star Trek.

And finally Star Trek is a critically acclaimed film. So if it turns out anything like that, I'm happy. Personally I'd love to see Star Wars get at score of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and win an Oscar.
lol, stop with the oscar thing, k. trek won for best makeup, not best movie or best director or anything like that. the other three nominations were also for technical stuff.

he isnt really all that late to the party. he is actually early to the party compared to his hiring for the trek movies. how is this any dif the trek? if you look at both projects, this really isnt starting out any dif than how trek started out. writers for trek were already hired and working before JJ was hired, same as with start wars. planning for the trek film had been in planning for a longer time than the planning for ep 7 has been. and as with trek, once JJ, his partners and his production company were hired, everything that was already done was subject to change.

i think Kasdan and Kinberg are working on seperate projects? last i read they are working on seperate star wars projects since disney has plans for more than just a trilogy of films. they also have said( been leaked ) that there will be some one off films based in the star wars universe that will/may be totally unrelated to 7, 8 ,9.

could be worse i guess, apparently disney was all set to hand the job to affleck. but at the last minute steven s convinced abrams to take the job( he had turned it down initially ). makes me wonder, just how much say lucas actually has. i dont think he has any say or input to be honest. i think he probably called his buddy steven in a panic and begged steven to talk JJ into taking the job to stop disney from handing over his lifes work to ben affleck. lol. yeah, i may not love JJ abrams, but he is def better than ben affleck.

arkanone
01.27.2013 , 05:07 PM | #96
He made Star Trek feel like a Star Wars movie. And I'm sure Trekkies loathe it for that reason alone.

Abrams is the best man for the job based on his past work. I don't know how many times I wondered what the prequels could have been if they'd just had an average director...this guy is way above average.

From here it's just a question of what the storyline will be and I'm just glad they aren't using the godawful EU stories as source material. I honestly never thought this day would come...wow.

Rincewend
01.27.2013 , 11:14 PM | #97
I will judge it when I see it, but I think he was likely the best choice out there. Could of been a lot worse, we could of ended up with Michael Bay (and in Transformers fashion) the first movie would of been good and everything else would suck...

Drudenfusz
01.28.2013 , 04:28 AM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Shadojack View Post
Gods above, spirits about, and demons below please do not let this happen.
This guy has already destroyed one of the finest sci fi series ever created and turned it's prime hero into a drunken frat boy. Do we really want him tampering with Star Wars?
Have you even watched Star Trek 7-10? J. J. Abrams revived Star Trek! The movies before his had already lost everything the TV show was about.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Arlon_Nabarlly
01.28.2013 , 09:23 AM | #99
All lightsabers are gonna cause lens flairs now.
Support Legacy Wide Datacrons
It's a secret to everybody:
54 68 65 20 31 34 31 20 31 35 36 20 31 36 33 20 31 36 37 20 31 34 35 20 31 36 32 20 69 73 20 30 30 31 31 30 31 30 30 30 30 31 31 30 30 31 30

Themanthatisi
01.28.2013 , 12:24 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
I agree and I think the reason may be that some people are associating this "total control" director idea with George Lucas.

George Lucas is one of a kind he had total contol over the Star Wars films before he sold it to Disney this is partly why Hollywood hated him.
No production company execs to tell him what to do or even have a say in what he did good or bad.

He wrote the stories, produced, directed and had the final say on everthing even on the films he didn't direct, because he owned the rights to the films.

This will not be the case with Abrams or any other director.
Good Point! also, Lucas was hated because at the time of EP. 4 (1977) Movie credits were shown at the start of a movie, Lucas put them at the end.... A trend he started and now followed by many.