Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the Lore going too much in the Favor of...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Is the Lore going too much in the Favor of...

almostinsane
01.23.2013 , 10:44 PM | #1
The Republic?

I've read much of the spoilers on the new book, Annihilation and it seems to me that the War is shifting in favor of the Republic a little much. It seems like nothing I did with my Imperial characters matter. I was hoping that the War would be close and maybe wouldn't be resolved for centuries considering this takes place over three thousand years before the films and one thousand years before the New Sith Empire in current canon.

Or is it just me? I searched the forums and couldn't find a thread like this. I am sorry if I missed any.

DAWUSS
01.23.2013 , 10:47 PM | #2
Well, considering it's the same Republic of the Clone Wars, they essentially have to win every war that would otherwise result in their dissolution.

almostinsane
01.23.2013 , 11:12 PM | #3
Not necessarily. There has been some implication that the Republic Post-Ruusan Reformation was different than the Republic before the said Reformation. And the Republic had a Dark Age ate one point where they maintained only control of the Core Worlds. This could imply that the Republic could go through different Republics. The nation of France in real life, for example, is on its Fourth Republic.

Ausstig
01.24.2013 , 01:36 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
Well, considering it's the same Republic of the Clone Wars, they essentially have to win every war that would otherwise result in their dissolution.
It's actually not the same.

About the only thing they have in common is a name and they hold the same 'land', to an extent.

There were fundamental changes made to the Republic after the Dark Ages.

Also

1. The Empire could rule for a time, like 50-500 years, then get over thrown. It has happened before, or it will as the case my be.

2. Eventual Republic victory doesn't have to be immediate. The Hundred Years war lasted for over a hundred years with ups and downs before France won.

Wars don't have to end over night in SWTOR.

And as an Empire player it is pretty dam annoying to have all of my achievements ignored or undone by the Republic. It doesn't help that the new novel all but says that the Empire is on it's last legs and the Republic is on the short road to victory.

So yay for me look at all I accomplished.
Have Force lightning will travel

errant_knight
01.24.2013 , 12:53 PM | #5
We've only done the first 3 chapters. We don't know what will happen next. Lots of things can happen to shift the balance of power back and forth pretty much indefinitely, given how fare away we are from known history.

almostinsane
01.24.2013 , 08:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
We've only done the first 3 chapters. We don't know what will happen next. Lots of things can happen to shift the balance of power back and forth pretty much indefinitely, given how fare away we are from known history.
I really hope so. I think the Empire players deserve some canon victories, enough to make sure the Empire remains for a long time yet. It won't do the game good for one of the two sides to be losing badly. At least make it a stalemate.

Tamyn
01.27.2013 , 03:32 AM | #7
I agree. I'd like to see more Imperial victories in the storylines. I mean, we lose Balmorra, Corellia, Malgus, the Emperor (not that I want that *** to win), Imperial Intelligence, etc. etc. It's quite disheartening to learn that all your Imperial effort is moot once you play through planets on the Republic side. What do we win? Yay Taris, a swampy, contaminated wasteland full of zombies.

Metalix
01.27.2013 , 08:10 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tamyn View Post
I agree. I'd like to see more Imperial victories in the storylines. I mean, we lose Balmorra, Corellia, Malgus, the Emperor (not that I want that *** to win), Imperial Intelligence, etc. etc. It's quite disheartening to learn that all your Imperial effort is moot once you play through planets on the Republic side. What do we win? Yay Taris, a swampy, contaminated wasteland full of zombies.
Taris in particular hurts because that one is more of a SYMBOLIC victory. It doesn't hold some great secret to the force, an important resource, or even act as a staging ground for further expansion! The people in charge just don't want to see it rebuilt because Malak destroyed it, and they think it's a good symbol of Sith strength!

Wolfninjajedi
01.27.2013 , 08:15 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tamyn View Post
Rakghouls not zombies.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

FoolsErrand
01.27.2013 , 08:31 PM | #10
I think a big thing is that, until Palpatine, the Republic never fell. No matter the enemy, no matter the threat, the Republic held strong.

It fought the Sith and their puppets mutiple times throughout it's history: Naga Sadow, Exar Kun, Mandalore the Ultimate, Revan, Vitiate, Ruin, and Kaan. Mutiple times it came close to destruction, but it always pulled through.

That's what made the Sith victory of Palpatine all the more important, that the Sith realized that the Republic could never actually be beaten by an outside force because no matter how messed up the Republic was, when enemies attacked the Republic got their "stuff" together and fought it back. It took Palpatine BECOMING the Republic and destroying it from within to finally work, because no threat, no matter HOW powerful was capable of facing it and actually destroying it.
Never give up! Never surrender!