Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
01.26.2013 , 06:19 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
One question. Do we know any more details about this? Are they planning to put in the SGR into the existing companion storylines? Or are they planning to add continuation of current storylines and only implement it there?
Basic summarization: We don't know yet. They've not told us directly, only that more SGR options would be coming. Not with Makeb though, these will only be NPC romances.

So what you mentioned could both be down the road, but we don't know yet. They haven't ruled out overhauling of old companions so I'm still hoping it's the case.

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
01.26.2013 , 07:04 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Skyrim had the ability to say to a select number of NPCs "I'm interested, marry me."

That NPC would then move into your home, cook you a meal once per day, set up a shop and give you some money from it (100g a day), and let you buy and sell items to them. The only change in their dialogue is that they now refer to you as "love" and "dear" - they don't refer to your sex in any marriage related dialogue (which means one size fits all dialogue). It isn't anywhere near the depth of Bioware's romances (even though those aren't particularly deep either, but it's like comparing a puddle to an Olympic sized swimming pool).
QFT. It just annoys me when people refer to Skyrim romances in a positive way - that monstrosity in full dwarven plate (which annihilates any gender anyway) and kept calling me "mein Schatz" (German for "my precious", greetings from Gollum), while getting lost every other minute and stomping into every single trap on the way didn't make heart fill particularly light. And I would not go as far as being called "my precious" every other second is particularly romantic. Skyrim is a gorgeous game, it didn't quite captivate me as Morrowwind, but it's still gorgeous. But certainly not for romances. IMHO they should have let them be.

Then again, to many players a romance is more a kind of achievement. It's not important how or even it actually takes place in-game, important is the step "screwed the entire crew" in the profile.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

JediMB's Avatar


JediMB
01.26.2013 , 08:01 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Then again, to many players a romance is more a kind of achievement. It's not important how or even it actually takes place in-game, important is the step "screwed the entire crew" in the profile.
Which is made evident when people refer to the romance as "a fade-to-black sex scene", as if that's what people are discussing in these threads.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
01.26.2013 , 01:52 PM | #34
I'd say most people in the thread aren't just looking for "fade-to-black" scene with romance.

I have no clue why people keep bringing up that strawman.
Node guarder

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
01.26.2013 , 01:58 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
I'd say most people in the thread aren't just looking for "fade-to-black" scene with romance.

I have no clue why people keep bringing up that strawman.
Because they assume that all romantic relationships only ever involve sex and that sex is the only reason you'd ever want to spend time with another person.

I can't understand why half the people clamouring for Story updates don't see romance options as Story. Or is it because it's no the "right" kind of story? What's also cute to see is people whinging over the SGR [Flirt] options in Makeb as being a waste of resources, but not the inevitable OGR [Flirt]s - maybe OGR [Flirt]s just spring out the ground, fully formed, like dwarves.

amnie's Avatar


amnie
01.26.2013 , 06:08 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Because they assume that all romantic relationships only ever involve sex and that sex is the only reason you'd ever want to spend time with another person.

I can't understand why half the people clamouring for Story updates don't see romance options as Story. Or is it because it's no the "right" kind of story? What's also cute to see is people whinging over the SGR [Flirt] options in Makeb as being a waste of resources, but not the inevitable OGR [Flirt]s - maybe OGR [Flirt]s just spring out the ground, fully formed, like dwarves.
sadly I'm afraid we all know the answer to that one. :/

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
01.26.2013 , 06:13 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Because they assume that all romantic relationships only ever involve sex and that sex is the only reason you'd ever want to spend time with another person.
Sex is not the hinge of my desire for same sex romances in the game. I won't go on a tangent, but let me just point out that sex is a part of life, and that in the end almost all romantic relationships (aside from those involving asexuals, I mean) will involve sex at some point to one degree or another. (And I totally support the idea of asexual romantic representation in games!)

For me - Jan'neria isn't celibate. At this point I just have to assume her flings all happen off camera, and that she's good enough at hiding them that no one ever catches on.

Quote:
I can't understand why half the people clamouring for Story updates don't see romance options as Story. Or is it because it's no the "right" kind of story? What's also cute to see is people whinging over the SGR [Flirt] options in Makeb as being a waste of resources, but not the inevitable OGR [Flirt]s - maybe OGR [Flirt]s just spring out the ground, fully formed, like dwarves.
Without going onto another huge tangent about realism, the Star Wars Universe, and Earth Human attitudes towards sex - there is some immaturity to this (former in your quote) attitude, which is caught up in all our baggage to do with sex. It also has to do with the fact that a lot of people seem to think that Star Wars is aimed at kids, and that romance of any kind should be kept away from them until they're 21 and/or married.

Here's another possible tangent - attitudes towards romance in non-romance genre fiction.

To be fair, I have seen a few detractors also saying they wished that BioWare would just leave romances alone, and not add to them, since they're all a waste of time and resources. But yes, it almost always seems to be aimed at SGRs without OGRs getting a mention. Next time someone comes into the thread with this "SGR is a waste" attitude, I might just point blank ask them about OGRs, and why it's not a waste as well. (I can predict their answer too - it will be "because only a minotiry want SGRs." )

And if this is overly rambling or makes no sense, I apologise. I didn't get to sleep until 6am this morning, and was up by 10am . I hate nights like that.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Master_Fisher's Avatar


Master_Fisher
01.26.2013 , 06:24 PM | #38
Why is this even an issue? Just put in the game and be done with it xD Bioware has done it before, they have no problem with homosexual relationships. I dont see any reason why they wouldnt put same-sex relationships.

ZakRinWolf's Avatar


ZakRinWolf
01.26.2013 , 08:02 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Master_Fisher View Post
Why is this even an issue? Just put in the game and be done with it xD Bioware has done it before, they have no problem with homosexual relationships. I dont see any reason why they wouldnt put same-sex relationships.
Someone actually already answered this question but its in the previous thread, before exceeding the maximum posts, but I won't be cruel and make you look for it In short, Bioware Austin only came into being to handle SWTOR. The original Bioware we know and love has done it before but Austin is a bit of a different story.

Personally, I agree with the first half, just put it in the game and be done with it, but unfortunately I have been seeing the problem all along as I read over posts. No matter what they do, including doing nothing, someone is going to feel punished, whether they complain "not fair," "forcing me" or "I don't want it in my game" etc. Damned if they do damned if they don't. I think I would rather have Darth Baras sit on me than be in Bioware's shoes right now.
Quote: Originally Posted by ZakRinWolf View Post
One word: shotgun. Let's see a Jedi block an entire spray.

natashina's Avatar


natashina
01.27.2013 , 05:40 AM | #40
It's hard to tell how much someone is kidding via text. So that's on me I suppose.

What smaller head? Do you think I'm a guy? That's rather funny that you think I am.

In that case, you can have my man card. I never got handed one in the first place.

I think my poor husband would be confused if I was a guy.

I'm a lady (born and raised) and I feel that way. I don't speak for all women, and I don't think anyone should speak for an entire group/gender. It's early Sunday morning here and I'm hanging out with my hubby listening to White Zombie. So we do have lives and we aren't all male.

Not being too emotional, just agreeing with Revan's point.