Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

OldVengeance's Avatar


OldVengeance
01.26.2013 , 04:21 PM | #71
No that was a typo.

Hardwear's Avatar


Hardwear
01.26.2013 , 04:29 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Think about what you didn't like about the film though. Abrams is not responsible for poor story. Did you like the cinematography? If yes, then great. If no then you have something to complain about.

This is what people seem to be forgetting. The director isn't responsible for the production of the entire film. The writer and the producer play a omassive role too. And Abrams is neither f those. And even if he was in charge of the entire Star Trek movie. It doesn't matter. He's only directing Star Wars - so his directing skills are all we need to worry about.

Think on that. Please.

(Oh and I think you mean Star Wars 7, not Star 'Trek'. Unless your making a subtle dig there. )
I agree and I think the reason may be that some people are associating this "total control" director idea with George Lucas.

George Lucas is one of a kind he had total contol over the Star Wars films before he sold it to Disney this is partly why Hollywood hated him.
No production company execs to tell him what to do or even have a say in what he did good or bad.

He wrote the stories, produced, directed and had the final say on everthing even on the films he didn't direct, because he owned the rights to the films.

This will not be the case with Abrams or any other director.
Squadron: 1020 367

MiaRB's Avatar


MiaRB
01.26.2013 , 04:35 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Think about what you didn't like about the film though. Abrams is not responsible for poor story. Did you like the cinematography? If yes, then great. If no then you have something to complain about.

This is what people seem to be forgetting. The director isn't responsible for the production of the entire film. The writer and the producer play a massive role too. And Abrams is neither of those. And even if he was in charge of the entire Star Trek movie. It doesn't matter. He's only directing Star Wars - so his directing skills are all we need to worry about.

Think on that. Please.

(Oh and I think you mean Star Wars 7, not Star 'Trek'. Unless your making a subtle dig there. )
what are you talking about? abrams production complany was handed complete control over the film and abrams was a producer long before he accepted the job as director. he had a heavy hand in what the story turned out to be. because of the viacom split from CBS corp and the deal that was eventually made, the movie side of the star trek franchise was handed over to people who never had anything to do with star trek and had no concerns or care for the franchise as a whole.

the original plan for the movie( before abrams changed it ) was for it to be the prequel to the original series that Roddenberry had wanted to do but never got done. it was going to be all new characters in the timeline after "enterprise" series but before the original series.

it was abrams that changed it from prequel to reboot/reset. and it was abrams who changed it from new characters to ripping off Roddenberry's original characters. why? because he didnt want to be restriced by anything( canon/lore anything from the series ) and it would be to hard from him and his hacks production( including the writers ) company to actually create new characters. also, because he wanted to strip away everything that makes star trek, star trek. just listen to or read interviews from JJ about the movie. he wanted to make a bland fluff action movies that would sell alot of ticked because it was star trek.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.26.2013 , 04:42 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
what are you talking about? abrams production complany was handed complete control over the film and abrams was a producer long before he accepted the job as director. he had a heavy hand in what the story turned out to be. because of the viacom split from CBS corp and the deal that was eventually made, the movie side of the star trek franchise was handed over to people who never had anything to do with star trek and had no concerns or care for the franchise as a whole.

the original plan for the movie( before abrams changed it ) was for it to be the prequel to the original series that Roddenberry had wanted to do but never got done. it was going to be all new characters in the timeline after "enterprise" series but before the original series.

it was abrams that changed it from prequel to reboot/reset. and it was abrams who changed it from new characters to ripping off Roddenberry's original characters. why? because he didnt want to be restriced by anything( canon/lore anything from the series ) and it would be to hard from him and his hacks production( including the writers ) company to actually create new characters. also, because he wanted to strip away everything that makes star trek, star trek. just listen to or read interviews from JJ about the movie. he wanted to make a bland fluff action movies that would sell alot of ticked because it was star trek.
You forget, Abrams has no such control over the new Star Wars film. So you can only judge him by his cinematography.

ZirusZero's Avatar


ZirusZero
01.26.2013 , 04:51 PM | #75
Flare wars Episode VII: Revenge of the lens.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityDroidEN View Post
After our Shenanigans radar sounded off, we quickly hurried to this thread to see what was going on. Upon inspection of the reported Shenanigans, we have removed a few posts to prevent further Shenanigans from taking place.

MiaRB's Avatar


MiaRB
01.26.2013 , 05:03 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
You forget, Abrams has no such control over the new Star Wars film. So you can only judge him by his cinematography.
his directing isnt all that great either. and directing isnt just about cimematography. even the first 5 minutes of the movie was poorly done and made little to no sense at all.

just because many of the previous star trek movies were really poorly done, doesnt mean JJ should get tones of credit for making a movie that wasnt as bad as other trek movies. did any of the ship interiors actually feel like star trek at all? nope. how did you like the engine room? looked like a beer distilery. probably because it was an actual beer distilery. scotty and mccoy were just charactatures of the originals. spock was nothing how spock was in the oringinal series. he didnt really even seem like a vulcan. even it some of the poorly done movies, spock never came across as a totally nieve whinny brat. def the worst vulcan portrayal of any of the movies or TV series. even kirsty was a more believable vulcan.

and how do you know how much control he has or doesnt have with the star wars movie? even if he is just the director... many times directors are given ALOT of control over story/content. hopfully he has next to no control at all and is really just a token name to drive up hype and buzz. at the very least, we all should pray that whats left of lucasfilm will be in charge of set design. ideally JJ has zero say in script changes or story changes.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.26.2013 , 05:21 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
his directing isnt all that great either. and directing isnt just about cimematography. even the first 5 minutes of the movie was poorly done and made little to no sense at all.

just because many of the previous star trek movies were really poorly done, doesnt mean JJ should get tones of credit for making a movie that wasnt as bad as other trek movies. did any of the ship interiors actually feel like star trek at all? nope. how did you like the engine room? looked like a beer distilery. probably because it was an actual beer distilery. scotty and mccoy were just charactatures of the originals. spock was nothing how spock was in the oringinal series. he didnt really even seem like a vulcan. even it some of the poorly done movies, spock never came across as a totally nieve whinny brat. def the worst vulcan portrayal of any of the movies or TV series. even kirsty was a more believable vulcan.

and how do you know how much control he has or doesnt have with the star wars movie? even if he is just the director... many times directors are given ALOT of control over story/content. hopfully he has next to no control at all and is really just a token name to drive up hype and buzz. at the very least, we all should pray that whats left of lucasfilm will be in charge of set design. ideally JJ has zero say in script changes or story changes.
Is was a beer distillery

But I complete accept your criticisms of his directing skills. I'm just point out that criticizing the story and acting is irrelevant, because he isn't in control of that, at least not in Star Wars.

I also highly doubt Star Wars is going to be a 'reboot', (they've already said its going to be an original trilogy) That only worked with Star Trek because Star Trek was originally a TV series, not a movie, it was inevitable, the only viable course of action because people simply aren't familiar with a sci-fi series of the 1960s. They would be confused and disorientated if Abrams suddenly plunged them into the 'next chapter' in the Enterpise saga. A 'rehash' if you like of the saga was inevitable. But again, irrelevant because Star Wars is a famous and popular modern film series, with an entire universe of lore behind it, and its still going. Anyone working with such a delicate project has to step carefully and cannot afford to change anything. And with the possibility of a reboot being completely unlikely, their is nothing for him to 'misinterpret' or 'ruin'. Unless he decides to make lightsabers multicolored. :P

And I highly doubt J.J Abrams will be given that sort of control over Star Wars. The fact is you don't know that anyway, all you know is he's the director, which makes your statements even more outlandish and baseless. I highly highly doubt this will be the case, what with Star Wars being an extremely delicate franchise, which unlike Star Trek, is still going strong and with a whole realm of lore surrounding it, and with George Lucas still there as a consulant, the entire company that is Lucasfilm running the show, and the mahoosive company that is Disney running them. That was non-existent in the Star Trek film, it was such Abrams, some other guys and Paramount Pictures - who I doubt were as heavily involved as George, Disney and Lucasfilm will be (may I reiterate, a company entirely dedicated to producing Star Wars).

So again, the only thing you can comment on are his directing skills. And I think using real sets instead of a smorgasbord of CGI will be a breath of fresh air for Star Wars and a return to the original trilogy. (Or did you forget that most of the sets in the original trilogy were not CGI?)

MiaRB's Avatar


MiaRB
01.26.2013 , 05:31 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
[COLOR=#CC9E42]Is was a beer distillery



And I highly doubt J.J Abrams will be given that sort of control over Star Wars. The fact is you don't know that anyway, all you know is he's the director, which makes your statements even more outlandish and baseless.So again, the only thing you can comment on are his directing skills.
like you, i also thought JJ was just the director. that is until i just read the jan 25 press release from starwars.com. JJ is not only the director, but he and is partner, bryan burk, are producers as is his production company, "bad robot". same team that made the star trek movie. only dif is, Kathleen Kennedy is also a co -producer. most important thing to note is, bad robot is the production company, not lucasfilm.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.26.2013 , 05:44 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
like you, i also thought JJ was just the director. that is until i just read the jan 25 press release from starwars.com. JJ is not only the director, but he and is partner, bryan burk, are producers as is his production company, "bad robot". same team that made the star trek movie. only dif is, Kathleen Kennedy is also a co -producer. most important thing to note is, bad robot is the production company, not lucasfilm.
Yeah, I gathered that. But Lucasfilm are still involved as well. Nowhere does it say Lucasfilm are not producing Star Wars - by the looks of it their co-producing, and we know who will have the bigger say - Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm. The people who own the rights to Star Wars and everything in it. And then there's Disney to consider as well. And the writer, Micheal Ardnt. And the long list of consultants too, including George Lucas, which just seems to be growing and growing. There are so many people involved in this project that Abrams simply can't take full control, he can't even make a single decision with out consulting dozens of other people and then thinking about the fan base and the likes of you baying for his blood, as well as the effect it will have on EU material. Makes sense why so many Directors were afraid to take on this project.

And I can't stress this enough, its not a reboot! So comparing it with Star Trek is silly. This is a totally different story.

MiaRB's Avatar


MiaRB
01.26.2013 , 06:01 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Yeah, I gathered that. But Lucasfilm are still involved as well. Nowhere does it say Lucasfilm are not producing Star Wars - by the looks of it their co-producing, and we know who will have the bigger say - Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm. The people who own the rights to Star Wars and everything in it. And then there's Disney to consider as well. And the writer, Micheal Ardnt. And the long list of consultants too, including George Lucas, which just seems to be growing and growing. There are so many people involved in this project that Abrams simply can't take full control, he can't even make a single decision with out consulting dozens of other people and then thinking about the fan base and the likes of you baying for his blood, as well as the effect it will have on EU material. Makes sense why so many Directors were afraid to take on this project.

And I can't stress this enough, its not a reboot! So comparing it with Star Trek is silly. This is a totally different story.
well, ill say something positive to start with before i go back to being negative. one good thing is, JJ is/was not only a fan of star wars( he wasnt actually a trek fan ), but he is also a fan of lucas as a film maker ( more than just the star wars films ) and has alot of respect for lucas. that and the fact that lucas is still alive( opposed to Roddenberry ) gives some hope that he will be less likely to do what he did with the trek movie( basically **** on Roddenberry's lifes work and didnt think twice about it).

back to being negative... this is the same set up as how the trek movie went. was set to be a new original story line to take place over mulitple movies with new characters. but that was changed once JJs production company was given the movie. without knowing the actual details of the deal with bad robot, none of us can say that JJ has total control or if he has limited control. but, the fact that bad robot is the production company and JJ and his partner are producers, that pretty much says he has much more control than you might think. maybe not total control, but alot of control.

also, lucasfilm is really no more and has zero say in anything. disney owns everything star wars and they have final say over everything. disney is a for profit big hollywood studio and their only concern is how much money the film with bring in. disney doesnt care about star wars anymore than viacom cared about star trek.
can't wait for this game to come out!