Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Extreme Latency on Windows 8

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Extreme Latency on Windows 8

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
01.24.2013 , 10:38 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNightcrawler View Post
Yes, I have never had a problem with other things running on my end. I run pathpings on my computer and going from Louisiana (where I live) to California, I have about a 74 ms on my end. Even running it all the way around the other side of the world barely jumps it up to 100 ms without any data loss. It is always a constant thing. It's just when I log onto SWTOR that my ms starts jumping all over the place, with the bar usually staying in the red.
Problem with tracert and pathpings is that it may not show the return path , have you tried trialing something like battleping to see if it makes any difference ?

Dynamic routing and multiple upstream ISPs mean the path indicated by a traceroute is only one of the possible paths between source and destination. It also says nothing about the reverse path.

ISP's utilize MPLS to some extent, but just be aware what you see in the trace may not be the full picture....

TheNightcrawler's Avatar


TheNightcrawler
01.24.2013 , 10:48 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Problem with tracert and pathpings is that it may not show the return path , have you tried trialing something like battleping to see if it makes any difference ?

Dynamic routing and multiple upstream ISPs mean the path indicated by a traceroute is only one of the possible paths between source and destination. It also says nothing about the reverse path.

ISP's utilize MPLS to some extent, but just be aware what you see in the trace may not be the full picture....
Just tried it, didn't do a thing. Lag was still jumping all over the place.
Heavily Medicated For Your Safety

Self Control. The Only Way To Survive In This World Dominated by Idiots.

Master_Wa's Avatar


Master_Wa
01.24.2013 , 10:52 PM | #13
I can say for sure its not an issue with my connection because it used to work fine - its only since windows 8 that the problem has started.

I wonder if the Dev Team would consider supporting windows 8 soon?
It is Useless to Resist

TheNightcrawler's Avatar


TheNightcrawler
01.24.2013 , 10:55 PM | #14
It's gotta be an issue with WIndows 8 and SWTOR, but I just can't figure out what it is. Hell, my old computer was running Windows Vista (Think that's what it was) and I had WoW and DC Universe on there and never ever experienced any lag on them like I am now that I am on Windows 8.
Heavily Medicated For Your Safety

Self Control. The Only Way To Survive In This World Dominated by Idiots.

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
01.24.2013 , 11:44 PM | #15
Out of interest are you all running your drives on AHCI ? did you install the correct driver by disk during the install ?

AHCI Needs to be enabled in the bios and driver installed, otherwise it will default to IDE, i see a lot running on IDE all the time.

I think a lot of the issues with windows 8 though will come down to drivers at this stage of it's release.

TheNightcrawler's Avatar


TheNightcrawler
01.25.2013 , 12:16 AM | #16
Didn't have to install anything. It was a new computer so everything was already installed.
Heavily Medicated For Your Safety

Self Control. The Only Way To Survive In This World Dominated by Idiots.

Master_Wa's Avatar


Master_Wa
01.25.2013 , 02:34 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Out of interest are you all running your drives on AHCI ? did you install the correct driver by disk during the install ?

AHCI Needs to be enabled in the bios and driver installed, otherwise it will default to IDE, i see a lot running on IDE all the time.

I think a lot of the issues with windows 8 though will come down to drivers at this stage of it's release.
My BIOS settings have remained the same as they were when i was running vista before my upgrade to windows 8 pro.
Also, all the drivers are up to date.

All i can say for certain is that it has to be a problem with Windows 8 as its the only thing that's changed for me.
It is Useless to Resist

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
01.25.2013 , 11:36 PM | #18
Ok I just installed Windows 8 64 bit on Win 7 64

Edit - Wonder how long one of my ram sticks wasn't seated properly still progressing install now

Master_Wa's Avatar


Master_Wa
01.26.2013 , 03:51 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Ok I just installed Windows 8 64 bit on Win 7 64

Edit - Wonder how long one of my ram sticks wasn't seated properly still progressing install now
Tell us how SWTOR runs once you've installed
It is Useless to Resist

MartinSPT's Avatar


MartinSPT
01.26.2013 , 04:41 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Master_Wa View Post
I can say for sure its not an issue with my connection because it used to work fine - its only since windows 8 that the problem has started.

I wonder if the Dev Team would consider supporting windows 8 soon?
Windows 8 may be causing your issue, but Windows 8 is not the cause of the issue. There are thousands of users that have been playing SWTOR on Windows 8 since SWTOR released, like myself.

There are a couple of things that moving to Windows 8 could be the cause of the problem, although it is not a problem with Windows 8.

If you are running any 3rd party security suite, disable any network protection or firewall tools, as they are redundant on Windows 8. (There is a good argument to NOT run any 3rd party tools as Windows 8 includes full malware protection, and most 3rd party tools do not use the OS Malware APIs and instead hook into the OS in ways that can cause stability issues.)

The other item is to check your network adapter driver.

Especially several WiFi drivers for several less than capable brands like Athenos. The easy way to test this, is to use a Wired connection instead of your WiFi driver and see if the problem goes away.

If you are already running on a LAN connection, or you think it could be the WiFi drivers, it is time to roll them back to the Windows 7/Vista version of the driver that should be on your system if you did an upgrade. Or find the Vista/Win7 dated drivers, and force them to install.

Additionally check to see if any 3rd party software has added anything to the Network Adapter client stack. (There are things like VMware that hook into your adapter and can cause identification problems.)

Also be sure to check the Windows Firewall itself, if you on your home network, turn off the Firewall (for testing) to see if the problems go away.


-------
With all that said, since the game has went F2P, there have been a few occasions where server lag time is higher than normal (assuming do to extra load on the servers) and times when connections simply drop or run less optimal than normal.

In these high traffic times, we have seen a normal 20ms connection to server start jumping from 20ms to 500ms at times of play. If you connection was already running at 100-200ms, these spike would be far more painful as it would shove your connection to red when it was happening.

The reason I am even at the forums today, is we are seeing massive server lag and complete packet drops for up to 30 seconds from the server. We have tested this from several locations around the West Coast to the SWTOR servers, and even though the connection to the servers LAN remains stable, the server itself seems to be experiencing problems.

Again, these types of packet loss/lag have occurred several times in the past couple of months, and it usually takes reset of the affect server for the problem to be resolved.

---------

Good with finding your specific problem, and although it may not offer any comfort, SWTOR has worked well with WIndows 8 since the developer preview release last year, and the problem is NOT directly with Windows 8 and SWTOR having issues.