Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Nydus
01.25.2013 , 03:46 PM | #21
I think all the romances in BioWare games are creepy. Seriously, you are in a position of authority over these people. They court martial people for such behaviour .

Am I the only one who doesn't flirt with ANY NPC?! .

P.S. The worst one was Ashley from ME1. I refused to have anything to do with her but when I transferred my character to ME2 it forced me to have had a relationship with her. So I then played the game as if she had borderline personality disorder and was inventing a relationship for attention. Quite enjoyable.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Lent_San
01.25.2013 , 04:01 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
P.S. The worst one was Ashley from ME1. I refused to have anything to do with her but when I transferred my character to ME2 it forced me to have had a relationship with her. So I then played the game as if she had borderline personality disorder and was inventing a relationship for attention. Quite enjoyable.
- Arcada
Ashley always died on me, since I could never get her past Virmire.

Yeah, that's another reason why the idea of seperating class from romance content would be working. The Captain and Corso, well, I dig them and really hope to see them bloom, but I could live with them re-inventing the concept for that cause. I know romance is not all this game is about, but for the female Consular for instance the romance is kind of pointless anyway, since she's bound to the Jedi Code. Unless they find a way around that, storywise, her romances are just really.... unfulfilled.

stuffystuffs
01.25.2013 , 04:32 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't flirt with ANY NPC?! .

Well, I haven't.
Node guarder

amnie
01.25.2013 , 05:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I'll never understand the arguments against player choice, especially in an MMO
especially in an MMO that still advertises itself with 'endless choices' (yeah right) and 'the first MMO with a priority on story'

Tatile
01.25.2013 , 05:47 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by amnie View Post
especially in an MMO that still advertises itself with 'endless choices' (yeah right) and 'the first MMO with a priority on story'

Well, SWTOR does have more story emphasis than WoW, in that you can't escape from it (unless you try really hard) but the actual maintenance thereof? Ehh... :S

Hopefully Makeb will herald a new era of story updates. It's highly unlikely, of course.

Revanchis
01.25.2013 , 05:58 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Well, SWTOR does have more story emphasis than WoW, in that you can't escape from it (unless you try really hard) but the actual maintenance thereof? Ehh... :S

Hopefully Makeb will herald a new era of story updates. It's highly unlikely, of course.
For an MMO it might have quite a bit of story, but for a Bioware game it's pretty light.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Ashley always died on me, since I could never get her past Virmire.

Yeah, that's another reason why the idea of seperating class from romance content would be working. The Captain and Corso, well, I dig them and really hope to see them bloom, but I could live with them re-inventing the concept for that cause. I know romance is not all this game is about, but for the female Consular for instance the romance is kind of pointless anyway, since she's bound to the Jedi Code. Unless they find a way around that, storywise, her romances are just really.... unfulfilled.
You don't really have to follow the code. You can always go dark and just forget about it.

VanCali
01.25.2013 , 10:03 PM | #27
Just my 2 cents, but working same sex into this game would be very nice. I mean, Skyrim had it.
What would Yoda do? Your butt, kick it he would!

SirGladiator
01.26.2013 , 01:50 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by VanCali View Post
Just my 2 cents, but working same sex into this game would be very nice. I mean, Skyrim had it.
That's why we're here . We see other, extremely popular games doing it, we see there's no reason for this game not to, and we want it in this game too. Also, the fact that this is the first Bioware game AND the first KOTOR game (the 2nd one wasnt made by Bioware, but they used the same basic romance system) to not feature any lesbian LIs at all is completely inexcusable. Its an extremely popular option, thats why its been in every KOTOR game up until this one, and in so many other more modern games, there's nothing controversial about it at all.

Ultimately there are so many different ways to introduce this into the game that it should've happened well over a year ago. They can just turn off all the gender-checks that disable the romances and flirts, that's the simplest solution, the one they should've done over a year ago. They could introduce a new race (they seem to like doing that from time to time) that looks and sounds female (like the all-female race in the ME series) and let players choose between male and female at the character creation screen, which would effect nothing about the character's appearance or voice, only who they could or couldn't romance/flirt with. That would actually be the coolest way of doing it, because I mean, who wouldn't want an Asari-like race in the game? The bottom line is theres lots of really good ways to make everybody happy, hopefully they'll pick the best one and implement it ASAP.

I'd also like to make a more general, overall point about the game, and the storylines. I've only played 2 all the way through, the SI and JK, so I can't comment on all the storylines (although of those two, I found the SI more interesting, so much fascinating stuff happening, the JK storyline was cool too of course, but seemed a bit too straightforward, not as much uniqueness as the SI one, and also the ending was more satisfying for the SI one but I wont discuss that due to possible spoilers), but the overall point is, the story IS the game. Just as the original KOTOR was a traditional RPG that played like an action RPG, this is an MMO that plays like a traditional RPG. The story is the reason we play. I'm sure there's a fair number of people who only care about the MMO elements, the PvP stuff and such, and I do really enjoy the mini-games, the 'warzones' as they call them, but ultimately we play for the story. Throughout the game, whichever class you play, you're constantly given choices that effect things in your own personal world. Whether or not you save lives, bring about peace, or kill people and bring about war, etc. and in none of those storylines are your choices limited in any way whatsoever by your gender. Obviously the romances should be no different. They're part of the overall storyline, and they should be part of it in any way you want them to be. If you dont want to romance anybody thats fine, but if you do and you want her to be a prominent part of your storyline, that should be an option as well. I wouldn't be playing this game at all, I never would have, were it not for the fact that it was Bioware, which meant great stories, and it was also SUPPOSED to mean romances that I was actually allowed to play, rather than read about other people enjoying them while I wasn't allowed to. My request would be make the romances like the entire rest of the game, gender-irrelevant, and give us more stories as well. We get 3 chapters for each character, its time for chapter 4, and then beyond. The storyline is the cake, the romance is the icing on the cake. I want some icing on my cake, and I also want more cake . Two specific things I'd like to happen at some point in the future, I'd like the chance to become the Emperor for my SI character (possibly the other dark-side classes also, not sure if they would be equally appropriate or not as I haven't played their storylines all the way through yet), and the chance to romance Satele Shan for my JK (I imagine all my light-side characters would like that option, that seems like a pretty easy call even having not played their storylines all the way through yet) . Did I mention that Satele should be romancable by all? I think that would be implied .

Path-x
01.26.2013 , 05:43 AM | #29
One question. Do we know any more details about this? Are they planning to put in the SGR into the existing companion storylines? Or are they planning to add continuation of current storylines and only implement it there?
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Zandilar
01.26.2013 , 05:55 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by VanCali View Post
Skyrim had the ability to say to a select number of NPCs "I'm interested, marry me."

That NPC would then move into your home, cook you a meal once per day, set up a shop and give you some money from it (100g a day), and let you buy and sell items to them. The only change in their dialogue is that they now refer to you as "love" and "dear" - they don't refer to your sex in any marriage related dialogue (which means one size fits all dialogue). It isn't anywhere near the depth of Bioware's romances (even though those aren't particularly deep either, but it's like comparing a puddle to an Olympic sized swimming pool).

Besides, you still can't marry Kir... err Serana in Dawnguard. (Damn it Laura Bailey, why does your voice have to be so sexy?)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.