Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Could the Death Star destroy the One Ring?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Could the Death Star destroy the One Ring?

mylegs
01.25.2013 , 01:20 PM | #41
No the Deathstar couldnt destroy the ring because when it fired its laser it would go right through the opening in the middle. Thats the one flaw of the Deathstar, it has to hit everything in the middle.....oh and the one spot that if u shoot it with a small fighter the whole thing blows up.

Grisher
01.25.2013 , 04:00 PM | #42
You have missed it mate, the ring CANNOT be destroyed!! Itmust be brought to Mount Doom where it was made, only there can it be destroyed!! Must i tell you everything
Itorlao lvl 50 jedi sentinel (main character)
Danso lvl 50 scoundrel.
Gnorrskjold consular in progress.
Syckon juggernaut in porgress.

Blackavaar
01.25.2013 , 04:38 PM | #43
No.

It might be able to destroy the planet the ring was on and everyone on it, but the ring would survive and all the Death Star will have done is make it impossible to destroy the ring because it destroyed Mount Doom and the fires within where the ring could be destroyed.

Remember, the ring is magic, not technology. Technology can destroy the place where the magic was created but not the magically invincible ring that was created there.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Xaldynn
02.07.2013 , 08:47 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by revansowns View Post
My mind falls apart even trying to think about this question.
^

HE CANNOT HANDLE A QUESTION OF THIS MAGNITUDE!!
Zéphyros Korrvo Xaldynn Corrvo
Kόrrvo Kúgo Stárrk Cόrrvo
Guild Leader For:
Order of Silence & Disciples of Ragnos

Oxades
02.07.2013 , 10:04 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Swissbob View Post
Love this thread! I even discussed this with my family! (all big LoTR and Star Wars fans)

We all came to the agreement that, no, it cannot "destroy" the ring.

The One Ring cannot be destroyed. It can only be un-made. The only thing that can "un-make" the ring is the fire of Mount Doom. The only way I could think the Death Star could destroy the ring is if, during the explosion of Middle Earth, some lava from Mount Doom hit and dissolved the Ring.

This, of course, is highly unlikely and very unrealistic.
That would be lucky…If luck you call it.

Oxades
02.07.2013 , 10:47 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by vandev View Post
The two lores, star wars and lotr, are very different. Star wars shy's away from the divine and combines technology with a deeper reality (the force). Lotr embraces the divine. Illutuvar created all things, the universe, the spirits and creatures. Nothing happened on middle earth that was not part of IIutuvar's plan. If the deathstar was meant to destroy middle earth, it would. But if Illutuvar had a different plan....then well probably an ignorant farm boy with no real flying skills would shoot a little tiny rocket through an equally tiny hole and destroy a planetoid!

While the force is a powerful ally, the divine is well divine.
Who knows. Maybe the “ignorant farm boy with no real flying skills who shoot a little tiny rocket through an equally tiny hole and destroy a planetoid” was Illutuvars plan.

Oxades
02.07.2013 , 11:18 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by legolegion View Post
another question is if does surivie what would empoer paltine make of it
That is an interesting question. Seeing that the ring gives you the power to rule and Paltine already has that power. Would the magic of the ring combined with the force and increase his power, or wound the force and magic be incompatible and he would only get to use the greater of the two powers?

Shadojack
02.07.2013 , 11:56 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
There are a lot more Sith Lords who are more powerful than Sauron, so yes.
Heretic!
Travel light, travel fast, and keep moving.

Rabenschwinge
02.07.2013 , 03:20 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
It's not a matter of heat or science. The Lord of the Rings makes it pretty clear that the one ring can only be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. I'm sure its got something to do with magic and what-not.
I believe Gandalf mentions that it might be able to destroy the ring using the fires of a dragon as well - only there are no dragons anymore. Not in the film of course, but it's in the book.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Maaruin
02.07.2013 , 03:29 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
I believe Gandalf mentions that it might be able to destroy the ring using the fires of a dragon as well - only there are no dragons anymore. Not in the film of course, but it's in the book.
That was for the other rings of power. "It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there are not now any dragons left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself."

Quote: Originally Posted by Oxades View Post
That is an interesting question. Seeing that the ring gives you the power to rule and Paltine already has that power. Would the magic of the ring combined with the force and increase his power, or wound the force and magic be incompatible and he would only get to use the greater of the two powers?
I always assume magic = the Force, so I think for Palpatine the Ring would be a powerful Dark Side artifact. He wouldn't need it, but he could sure find some use for it.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall