Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Looks like the new Star Wars movie is gonna suck.

Blackavaar
01.25.2013 , 12:49 PM | #1
J. J. Abrahms. Enough said?

Yeah, he already ruined one sci-fi franchise. Let's give him the other one too.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

astrobearx
01.25.2013 , 12:54 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post

???

i like the star trek remake

it seems only snobs hate it

HoloTweed
01.25.2013 , 12:55 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post

You meant he SAVED one sci-fi franchise that had become old, tired, stale and a dud at the box office. I believe JJ's Star Trek made more at the box office than the last three Star Trek movies COMBINED.

Add to that his reinvigoration of the Mission: Impossible franchise plus his creation of LOST and ALIAS and that the pilots for those he directed are among some of the finest hours of television ever produced PLUS his stated love of Star Wars and you're pretty much wrong right out of the gate.

This gives us even GREATER hope for the next Star Wars film. Also, you forgot to say "Gosh, now Star Wars will have lens flares all over the place!" to complete the invalid drama.

Arlon_Nabarlly
01.25.2013 , 12:56 PM | #4
Is he really doing it? This makes me so happy, Star Trek, Fringe

Only thing better would have been Joss Whedon but I imagine he's tied up with Avengers sequel.

Foambreaker
01.25.2013 , 12:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by astrobearx View Post
???

i like the star trek remake

it seems only snobs hate it
And people who live in fear of change...

DarthOvertone
01.25.2013 , 01:04 PM | #6
J.J. Abrams is a great choice. Really looking forward to the new Star Wars now. Just hope the story holds up.
War Hero Alphabolt - Garbage S1-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphabain - Scoundrel | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Champion Alphafett - Mercenary
I See Your Schwartz Is As Big As Mine!

AsheraII
01.25.2013 , 01:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
Is he really doing it? This makes me so happy, Star Trek, Fringe

Only thing better would have been Joss Whedon but I imagine he's tied up with Avengers sequel.
Well, I would've settled for HBO making a 5-season Star Wars series
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

kevlarto
01.25.2013 , 01:06 PM | #8
that's your opinion op, my opinion is, I think JJ was a good choice, I liked the reboot of star Trek, to each his own, time will tell.. I am Star Wars fan, I am happy to see new star wars movie on the way, the clone wars tv animation is the only thing I got going now, even if it is a kids show I like it, I think they do really good story telling for a half hour show.
After reading what JJ had to say about the whole thing, he admits he is more of a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek fan, in is younger life, I think he knows what it takes to make a good Star Wars movies and move the franchise on, but then again only time will tell..
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

jorill
01.25.2013 , 01:07 PM | #9
I love the new star trek movie. That being said i think star wars is a better fit for him than star trek. Im not really sure how he is going to handle both franchises though because I believe the actors have a 3 movie contract for star trek or at least most of them.

HammersteinSW
01.25.2013 , 01:08 PM | #10
The real question is if Abrams understands the difference between one SF franchise and another. I liked the Star Trek remake to some extent, but if he uses the same style and pacing (lots of running along corridors and shouting) the SW remake might suck.

Star Wars was always about the pacing - action scenes but also character development and stuff like jedi philosophy. Star Trek had none of that, it was a themepark ride with little depth.