Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Honour in Play

MattChannell
01.25.2013 , 11:43 AM | #1
Hi all - I just wanted to pose a question to you all as a new player. Example - you are engaged in a hard fight to gain a chest and some other player just whips round and takes it; is that all far in MMO and War of low behaviour. I thought the latter but when I whispered a complaint I was told welcome to the world of MMO. I find this frustrating and it made me angry but am I just pushing against the prevailing wind? What advise and thoughts do you have

Jagrattlehead
01.25.2013 , 11:49 AM | #2
Unfortunately it happens a fair bit. The work around seems to be to hit the chest first, and hope you don't get slaughtered while opening it.

Elmerpl
01.25.2013 , 11:50 AM | #3
Douches, douches everywhere, thousands of them... unfortunately. On the other hand there are some really nice players that will not only not take what you are fighting to get but will help you and buff you just because we are that nice.
Just like in real world, one person will find a wallet, take money and throw it away, other will check if he can use the credit cards too, and the third one will check the information in it and return it to the owner not wanting any reward.

Ridickilis
01.25.2013 , 11:56 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagrattlehead View Post
Unfortunately it happens a fair bit. The work around seems to be to hit the chest first, and hope you don't get slaughtered while opening it.
Yes, this would be my best advise as well. To take it further, manually send your companion in first, to distract the npcs, then you grab the chest. Helps if your companion is a tank, but it pretty much works with any of them. This is also a must for objectives as well. Destroy/slice/interact with X number of "whatevers".

Being new to the mmo scene, I too had to learn this the hard way.

Oh, and if you're ever fighting an elite and have total control of the fight (IE feels like an 'easy' fight) don't ever accept a group invite while you're in the middle of it. 9 times out of 10 they want you to do the heavy lifting and they will just 'need' on the drop then leave the group, and you, high and dry.

ElyonRand
01.25.2013 , 12:16 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagrattlehead View Post
I always do this now, to stop this problem. Happens far too many times, even with other stuff such as scavenges and quest items.

Skodan
01.25.2013 , 12:19 PM | #6
its a dbag move, plenty of dbags in mmos, but there are also plenty of honorable players too.

one way to avoid having this happen is if you can, try looting the chest first, then fight the mobs
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

MattChannell
01.25.2013 , 12:23 PM | #7
Can't tell how you guys have made me feel better about the whole community. I really enjoy this game and I never thought I would so its great to get good advise, tea and sympathy

Joesixxpack
01.25.2013 , 12:32 PM | #8
If you can grab chest loot before fighting do. Never know when a loot ninja douche is around.

A few weeks ago I saw a solo player getting trashed by a champ. NPC guarding a big chest. His pet died and he ran out of combat range. I offered to heal him for a 2nd round, he beat it, and I told him to keep all the loot.

Right after I fought an elite guarding a small chest. Just about done when another Op. unstealthed and ninja'd it. The timing irony was hilarious.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

Ridickilis
01.25.2013 , 12:48 PM | #9
Aw, Joe, that sucks.

Even though I still hold firm to my first post that you should be leery about trusting anyone, I still go out of my way to help when I can. I had a similar instance as you described, guy was losing badly to an elite. I was patiently waiting my turn to spawn the same elite so I was just watching him (general common courtesy rule is you don't spawn elites while another player is already engaged). His companion dies and he was on his last 1/4 of health. So I decided to start healing him. He lived and whispered a "thx". I felt pretty good for those short moments.

If there is someone fighting a mob around two or three objectives that you need, stand there and watch or go to the other side of the room to get objectives. Sometimes they may not be on the same planet quest you are and they don't need those objectives but it's still best to wait until they pass on them. Other times that same d00d will reciprocate, meaning he won't ninja objectives that were around me while I was tied up. So it's not all bad, it's just the d-bags seem to stick out more.

Jagrattlehead
01.25.2013 , 04:20 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ridickilis View Post
Aw, Joe, that sucks.

Even though I still hold firm to my first post that you should be leery about trusting anyone, I still go out of my way to help when I can. I had a similar instance as you described, guy was losing badly to an elite. I was patiently waiting my turn to spawn the same elite so I was just watching him (general common courtesy rule is you don't spawn elites while another player is already engaged). His companion dies and he was on his last 1/4 of health. So I decided to start healing him. He lived and whispered a "thx". I felt pretty good for those short moments.

If there is someone fighting a mob around two or three objectives that you need, stand there and watch or go to the other side of the room to get objectives. Sometimes they may not be on the same planet quest you are and they don't need those objectives but it's still best to wait until they pass on them. Other times that same d00d will reciprocate, meaning he won't ninja objectives that were around me while I was tied up. So it's not all bad, it's just the d-bags seem to stick out more.
This has been my general rule as well. Just stand back and wait, if help looks like it's needed, do so. Usually that same person will help you out in return. I helped a group on kaas once that was having trouble with a boss, I had my upper lvl sniper, we killed her quick. They offered to compensate me, and I told them don't worry about it. Hopefully they will carry that forward, but it was just good gaming, imo.