Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Operative Role vs Sniper Role

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Operative Role vs Sniper Role

Talon_Starfire
01.15.2013 , 05:36 PM | #1
I know a Snipers role is Assassation but what is the Operatives role compared to Sniper is he a spy or what?
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Tatile
01.15.2013 , 05:39 PM | #2
Close-combat insertion with medical capabilities?

Sniper makes sense if you can guarantee the mark, but Operative seems to be designed for a longer game.

chuixupu
01.15.2013 , 08:24 PM | #3
The difference is that snipers assassinate from a distance, and operative sneak in from stealth and kill at close range, unless they're a medic, which is self-explanatory.

"I love assassinating assassins. They always look so surprised."
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Talon_Starfire
01.17.2013 , 10:29 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
The difference is that snipers assassinate from a distance, and operative sneak in from stealth and kill at close range, unless they're a medic, which is self-explanatory.

"I love assassinating assassins. They always look so surprised."
How do they compare for DPS & what is the best tree?
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

chuixupu
01.17.2013 , 01:40 PM | #5
Snipers are definitely easier to dps with than operatives. I have both, I started as an operative, eventually swapped to sniper and went heals on my operative. Doesn't mean you can't pull good numbers as an operative, but it's far easier to do as a sniper, plus being melee in general is a bit of a pain in a lot of hard mode operations, and operatives don't have the ability to leap or sprint to their target like some other melee do. I'm speaking in terms of PVE, I can't really speak for PVP.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

sumuser
01.17.2013 , 07:06 PM | #6
A geared AND well played dps operative is fine for all the 4-man HMs and would probably be fine in the SM OPS. But for the HM OPs, operatives just don't put out the numbers for those boss fights... And I play an operative and they they are one of the most fun classes to play next to assassins. However, the utility that operatives bring to the table is minimal in ops where their CCs and stealth don't make up for their sub par dps.

However, when leveling or doing HM FPs with a group that isn't over-geared, operatives are truly awesome. In fact, I would argue that operatives are the king of solo'ing >50 missions and heroics... It's just too bad that all that utility is lost towards the end when things essentially become a "duke it out" DPS fest.
Jedi Covenant
Apotheosis | lvl 50 | Bounty Hunter
Utnapishtim | lvl 50 | Sith Warrior

Quantemoq
01.20.2013 , 04:43 PM | #7
here are some results of very high parsings (given the date). operatives shares the last spot with sorcs.
while snipers/gunslingers lead the boards together with marauders and vanguards

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=567773

in this one neither operatives not sorcs made it even on the list due to falling behind so heavily
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=534251

Elementlord
01.24.2013 , 06:29 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_Starfire View Post
How do they compare for DPS & what is the best tree?
Thanks
The "best" tree comes down to personal preference IMO. My currently level 35 Sniper is Marksman specced, because I seem to gravitate towards high single-target burst damage specs (my Marauder was Carnage all the way from 10-50.

I haven't played an Operative/Scoundrel yet, so I wouldn't really be able to compare the two.

Quantemoq
01.25.2013 , 09:49 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Elementlord View Post
The "best" tree comes down to personal preference IMO. My currently level 35 Sniper is Marksman specced, because I seem to gravitate towards high single-target burst damage specs (my Marauder was Carnage all the way from 10-50.

I haven't played an Operative/Scoundrel yet, so I wouldn't really be able to compare the two.
while marksman has the potential highest burst. the burst comes with a drawback.
first marksman has almost not armor penetration nor internal damage in its attacks.
and second almost all attacks are "white" aka deflectable and shieldable.

leathality and enigneerings have most of their attacks from tech and also in case of leathality have a lot of internal damage .
so if you plan to kill tanks in pvp you will be much better off with either engineering or leathality (or a hybrid).