Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Clickers.


drfirewater's Avatar


drfirewater
01.25.2013 , 07:14 AM | #21
Keybinds are important ... but clicking in a game with global cooldowns is exactly the same FYI.

If your talking about instant click its the same if its a button or a mouse over. I do both personally i use keys 1-6 easily (played piano i can hit 8 without moving my fingers from movement keys very much) and to be honest 90% of my rotation fits in those keys including my interupts.

anything else like shield bubble on my sorc or DFA on my merc or Dark Ward on my Assassin tank or drop into cover on my sniper ..... they dont need key binds ... i use them the second they are up in part of my rotation.

There is this moronic belief that you have to A) Look at the boss your fighting while your fighting it and B) that every power on 4 hot bars has to be on a key bind .. that you absolutely cannot play this game competitively without a naga game pad ..... sorry to tell you i use a 4 button mouse and a G14(unsupported) keyboard.

I do competitive PVP and Have beat HM TFB (as a guild we havent started EC NiM) .... I am no where near the bottom of our DPS scale usually competing with Powertechs on my sniper in lethality spec. I am never the guy who is standing in red circles so he can click a power with a long channel.

Sorry to say it ... the Clickers suck argument .... is proven wrong every time i get into raid party and pvp match.
SITH HAPPENS
[])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████FYI ..I hate WoW... because its gameplay sucks... no other reason.

Leovinus's Avatar


Leovinus
01.25.2013 , 07:17 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TwitchingFiber View Post
Well, once you get comphy with keybinding you will see an increase in whatever skill you have. If you are a long time clicker, of course it won't be comphy at first, just like anything you have to get used to it.
OR you could get over it and realize that in this game there's no reason to try to force a keybinding mentality on the population as a whole. Which is exactly what you're attempting to do here. I know plenty of folks who do fantastically by being clickers, to the point where they are successfully clearing everything. They don't PvP, so that whole business is irrelevant.

If you've got certain folks you know who are clickers and are suboptimally performing, maybe speak to them directly.

Thundergulch's Avatar


Thundergulch
01.25.2013 , 07:19 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TwitchingFiber View Post
So I've been checking a few swtor streams out lately, I've just recently come back from a long long break, 7+ months. I've decided to just re-level a whole new class to fully get back into the game.

So yeah, I'm amazed on how many clicker there are in this game...99% of them clickers are complaining about something, mainly because they got outplayed, or were just too slow because of clicking spells instead of actually using keybinds.

Just a helpful hint, aka PROTIP, for everyone who clicks spells you are limiting yourself on how well/fast you are it would be more beneficial to you if you practiced using ALL keybinds (Well not all, but you get the point.) Watch videos, re-level a new class just to practice how you like your keybinds.

I know someone is going to post "I click and I don't have any issues" "I click and I know it's faster than keybinds" Well, you're wrong. Once you practice keybinding you will realize what you're missing out on. Also, once you get the hang of it, you will see a dramatic increase in your performance.

Also, while clicking you are spending time looking at your spells more than you are looking at whats going on around you. You lose some awareness while clicking.

Moral of the story clickers, please practice keybinding. It will help you out tremendously.

Love,
Twitchypoo
Keybinding doesn't mean squat in pve.

Darthharrington's Avatar


Darthharrington
01.25.2013 , 07:19 AM | #24
The reason there are so many 'clickers' on SWTOR is Bioware has managed to alienate the hardcore crowd pretty much with slow content release, terrible class balance and generally just making one bad decision after another... people who insist on keybinding, etc are the hardcore players (like myself) but we are a rare and dying breed in this game. My guild is really struggling for instance to replace players who left because there aren't players on the server who are 'hardcore' material.

And just to add fuel to the fire people clicking generally will do less dps, on my gunslinger if I click moves instead of using keybinds I do 300-400 less dps in dirty fighting spec.
S**t happens! Get over it and play the damn game!!

ckoneful's Avatar


ckoneful
01.25.2013 , 07:19 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
Keybinding doesn't mean squat in pve.
Yes, it does. If you're looking at your action bar instead of the circles under your feet you're doing it wrong.
73% Explorer60% Achiever53% Socializer13% Killer
55 Juggernaut 55 Operative 50 Mercenary 45 Sorceror
11 Sentinel 50 Gunslinger 52 Vanguard 55 Shadow
83% of Class Stories completed

drfirewater's Avatar


drfirewater
01.25.2013 , 07:19 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TwitchingFiber View Post
Exactly, once you're comphy with keybinding it all becomes muscle memory. And as I said in a previous post, while clicking you spend more time than you need staring at your spells. You lose so much awareness.
You dont lose any aweness ... that is idiotic to think that. A good player has aweness of everything he does regardless of keybind or clicking. And Shift-ALT is much more motion intensive then clicking ... you actually go SLOWER using Shift ALT then you do clicking.

again if your rotation includes more then 1-6 then your doing something horribly wrong. only class that dps rotation has more then 6 keys is MAYBE marauder or jug. Everything else is easily 6 keys only
SITH HAPPENS
[])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████FYI ..I hate WoW... because its gameplay sucks... no other reason.

Thundergulch's Avatar


Thundergulch
01.25.2013 , 07:20 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthharrington View Post
The reason there are so many 'clickers' on SWTOR is Bioware has managed to alienate the hardcore crowd pretty much with slow content release, terrible class balance and generally just making one bad decision after another... people who insist on keybinding, etc are the hardcore players (like myself) but we are a rare and dying breed in this game. My guild is really struggling for instance to replace players who left because there aren't players on the server who are 'hardcore' material.
So..... clickers aren't hardcore players? Is that what you're saying here?

sumuji's Avatar


sumuji
01.25.2013 , 07:20 AM | #28
You underestimate how many peopole aren't confortable with pounding away on half the keyboard without looking. More so people like me in ther 30's or older and didn't grow up with a keyboard and lived their youth before the tech boom. You could train yourself sure but it would take months before you really felt comfortable with it.

Anyways, it's easier to get a gaming mouse. On most of them you can bind 6-12 keys which should be enough for your most used abilies(ones that need a twitch reaction) Forget about binding things you wouldn't normally use killing trash in a flashpoint. You can click on the seldom used stuff without losing anything of significance.

Use the mouse to turn and look. Make A and D strafe left and right. You shouldn't use the keyboard to turn your character which makes a big difference in PvP. Remove backpeddle totally. You shouldn't find yourself walking backwards. Use that key for something important since you're used to hitting it.

Well, some simple things that might help out without having to keybind everything which is just silly.

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
01.25.2013 , 07:20 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TwitchingFiber View Post
Exactly, once you're comphy with keybinding it all becomes muscle memory. And as I said in a previous post, while clicking you spend more time than you need staring at your spells. You lose so much awareness.
Not true. Someone who is really used to his mouse won't look at the cursor, he incounsciously knows where the cursor is. It's the same kind of muscle memory.

Someone who has to look where he put the cursor, will probably have to look where he puts his finger on the keyboard.

Josewales's Avatar


Josewales
01.25.2013 , 07:20 AM | #30
PvP leaderboards are led by macros & superior latency. Even raid dps races. Funny how 99% of the self proclaimed pros confuse this and having pocket heals with skill. Nothing wrong with clicking in this game due to slow GCs & energy burns. But I would still get a good gaming mouse anyways...takes half the muscle memory out of it and more relaxing. Helps with focusing on the environment in pvp also.

Plus for those with big hands such as myself, stumbling through a dozen keybinds on the board is a handicap for us.

Now for cyborg to master the game claw since they got the mouse ftw now!