Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking - Are healers suppose to dps/heal?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanking - Are healers suppose to dps/heal?

TheMove
01.24.2013 , 07:42 PM | #1
I have tanked in alot of MMOs and been tanking on my Jugg alot in swtor pre 50. In my flashpoints Im getting alot of healers that throw a couple heals and "try" to dps. Half the time Im struggling just to live poping all my cool downs and meds while I see the stupid healer attacking mobs and I have to spend all my time trying to get the aggro off them. Its making tanking 3xs harder than it should be and a chore.

I just wanted to ask if healers are expected to dps in flashpoints? Im getting alot more healers attacking all the mobs than I do in other MMOs.

Wanted to check before I start opening my mouth. Its driving me insane.
No one knows what it means, but it's provocative. It gets the people going.

Kitru
01.24.2013 , 08:00 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by TheMove View Post
I just wanted to ask if healers are expected to dps in flashpoints?
If everyone is already topped off and damage is coming in slowly and manageably, most people would expect the healer to toss out some extra DPS. Of course, in the situations you're discussing where you're not even remotely topped off and are struggling just to stay alive, it's not expected in the least.

It sounds to me like you're mostly dealing with DPS that queued up as healers for the faster queue: they're not acting like healers because they're not really healers. It's annoying when it happens, but you should not feel like you're providing unwarranted criticism when they're spending more time attacking than healing, especially if they're putting the group at risk by behaving as such.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

TheMove
01.24.2013 , 10:45 PM | #3
I just played a OP speced into heals from lvl 10-40 and easily kept my group healed every flashpoint I took part of.

To me it feels like some of these healers are not even speced into healing and they think they can get by. Just wanted to make sure. I will be kicking them from my group from now on.
No one knows what it means, but it's provocative. It gets the people going.

Chiramu
01.25.2013 , 04:34 AM | #4
I dislike when healers try to DPS instead of watching health bars. Healer DPS is so pitiful, you might as well stand and wait for healing to be done instead.

Unless the healer is a discipline priest in WoW (when the discipline priest casts smite on the boss/monster it heals those around the mob), the healer shouldn't be DPSing. I'm pretty sure no healer in Swtor has anything like that though, so they shouldn't be DPSing.

tXHereticXt
01.25.2013 , 04:39 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiramu View Post
I dislike when healers try to DPS instead of watching health bars. Healer DPS is so pitiful, you might as well stand and wait for healing to be done instead.
I'll echo what Kitu said and additionally say that every little bit helps. If they're confident they can get back to healing me when I need it then I'm perfectly fine with that. Then again, as the OP points out - that group would be one I too would get nervous about.

To the OP, that sounds like a case of the cocky-veteran player type. The people who got one toon to 50 and think they know how to play. Perhaps they're bored or trying to relax or cursing at their screen because you aren't tanking to their liking while encounters aren't as quick as they hoped. It happens, you're best bet is to just tough it out and encounter people who you can enjoy playing with and in return they enjoy playing with you and then kill and mame together.

phfph
01.25.2013 , 07:11 AM | #6
Or they dont know that they just should heal and dont dps, A whisper mey do the trick

Petnil
01.25.2013 , 07:26 AM | #7
loads of times i have to kill some nonelites myself if i dont want them hitting me when i play healer... Ofc keeping the group alive has priority, but iŽll keep throwing dots and lighting at mobs as long as my group is topped of and i have enough force to do so and still keep my group alive.

XisscVekno
01.25.2013 , 08:12 AM | #8
There are a lot of "DPS" healers in the lower levels, which is why I refuse to tank lower level FPs. I also play a healer and get annoyed when DPS queues as a tank. It's a two way street with both roles doing it and making the other role struggle.

As far as normal mobs beating on the healer, It's the tanks job to hold aggro on the more threatening mobs, silvers/golds/champs/boss the normals should be killed first by the dps which is why most tanks will maybe hit them with an aoe or default attack just to get initial aggro. But it's really the DPSs job to know the kill order and actually do it.
Not all things in life are free,
and freedom has the highest cost of them all.
Remember those who gave, so you could enjoy what others do not.

Amlici
01.25.2013 , 08:15 AM | #9
I'll do some dps if the team is at full health and i have nothing else to do. I like to keep everyone at full health as much as i can incase an extra mob gets pulled by accident or something goes pear-shaped.
Amlici 50 Operative Onti 50 Scoundrel
Dalborra APAC

ProtocolX
01.25.2013 , 08:18 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TheMove View Post
I have tanked in alot of MMOs and been tanking on my Jugg alot in swtor pre 50. In my flashpoints Im getting alot of healers that throw a couple heals and "try" to dps. Half the time Im struggling just to live poping all my cool downs and meds while I see the stupid healer attacking mobs and I have to spend all my time trying to get the aggro off them. Its making tanking 3xs harder than it should be and a chore.

I just wanted to ask if healers are expected to dps in flashpoints? Im getting alot more healers attacking all the mobs than I do in other MMOs.

Wanted to check before I start opening my mouth. Its driving me insane.
This may not relate to you specifically but on the whole the lower level FPs and Heroics can really suck for a healer -- between poor tanks, poor dps, poor CC and poorly geared players.

While I think a healer should focus on healing and staying alive (both attention and energy points) I've been in groups were my (appreciable, but not sustained) DPS was more effective than healing to help eliminate the aggro that I struggled to keep healing at lower level. Say when an enemy is close to dead, especially.

Also, I don't know if some might be generating Tactical Advantage (which provides more heals) by using Shiv -- which isn't the way I approach it in PvE but it could be another reason.

Otherwise, it could be people not playing their role, which is too common. I have had the same problem as the OP repeatedly with my Guardian -- not getting heals for whatever reason. Though sometimes the healer is incapacitated and no one is defending him/her.

Also, too, if you're going to be the primary tank... say something. It's amazing how often that isn't established. As in "If you want me to draw aggro, I need regular heals."

P.S. Advise the uniformed healer to concentrate on cc if they are bored and have energy to waste. Also, if people rush and get out of the healer's LoS, that's partly their fault.

In any case, I don't think the majority really appreciates the roles in full and the tactical POV until you play both tank and healer.