Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Assassin with Electro Staff?


dermitni's Avatar


dermitni
01.09.2013 , 06:54 PM | #1
Hi!

Let's just assume I want to build my assassin based on an Imperial Guard, including the usage of an electro staff instead of a double-bladed lightsaber (because I really, really hate those). I know that for some reasons (which I don't understand), one can't use most of the abilities with the staff but only the (double-bladed) lightsaber -- funny that a Sniper can snipe with a normal blaster rifle though...

Anyhow, would it be possible to make and play such an assassin? Should I concentrate on strength then to booster my standard attack or is still willpower the damage base value?

Cheers, Niko
The Progenitor: Hran'orfon - Chiss Ascendancy Sniper Vidaar Amakiir - Imperial Honor Guard
Jung Ma: Lythe Vodaine - Jedi Healer

BlznSmri's Avatar


BlznSmri
01.09.2013 , 07:45 PM | #2
Willpower does damn near everything for Inquisitors. That said you will not be able to play your Sin successfully with an Electro-staff. Which is pretty *********** dumb.

I want a staff that's like the Double-bladed weapons from KotOR, those were the shizz.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

toyfanatic's Avatar


toyfanatic
01.09.2013 , 07:54 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by dermitni View Post
Hi!

Let's just assume I want to build my assassin based on an Imperial Guard, including the usage of an electro staff instead of a double-bladed lightsaber (because I really, really hate those). I know that for some reasons (which I don't understand), one can't use most of the abilities with the staff but only the (double-bladed) lightsaber -- funny that a Sniper can snipe with a normal blaster rifle though...

Anyhow, would it be possible to make and play such an assassin? Should I concentrate on strength then to booster my standard attack or is still willpower the damage base value?

Cheers, Niko
I play a 'sin with a similar idea. I wear adaptive armour that looks like trooper gear, and I carry a electro staff. Certain abilities will not work, and you must carry a twinblade to change stances. Also Discharge and Maul will not work. The only skill tree ability that won't work is Low Strike, but all other attacks work while using a electro staff. So Shock, Force lightning , Thrash , Lacerate, Assasinate and Overcharge saber work just fine. Spike ,Wither ,Voltic slash and Death field won't be effected by not using a saber. If you are Darkness spec'd you will not loose anything you will miss. Madness and Deception spec'd 'sins loose the above abilitys of maul and discharge. That is more crippling to deception versus madness.
Hope that helps.

dermitni's Avatar


dermitni
01.10.2013 , 03:28 AM | #4
Thank you for your answers so far.

Ok, so I'll concentrate on the Darkness tree and willpower, then. I mean, I already carry a double-bladed lightsaber with me to activate certain abilities because they do stay active even after changing back to the electro staff.

[rant]
But what is the reasoning behind this electro staff discrimination? I mean, when you play e.g. a Jedi Guardian you can use ALL your abilities with lightsabers AND vibroswords and if you play e.g. an Imperial Sniper you can also use ALL your abilities with sniper rifles AND blaster rifles -- so why are electro staves not valid for so many assassin/shadow abilities?
[/rant]

Nevertheless, thanks again; I'll try the suggested approach and will let you know how it works out in the higher levels.

Cheers, Niko
The Progenitor: Hran'orfon - Chiss Ascendancy Sniper Vidaar Amakiir - Imperial Honor Guard
Jung Ma: Lythe Vodaine - Jedi Healer

dermitni's Avatar


dermitni
01.24.2013 , 01:09 AM | #5
So... After reaching level 26 I thought it was time for a small update.

This is my electrostaff-wielding assassin, Vidaar:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj...czZkwwY2s/edit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj...Rac2N4d1E/edit

And here are my selected skills so far:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzOj...5CSTY0NGc/edit

The only three abilities that I cannot use until now are:
- Maul (needs a double-bladed lightsaber according to tooltip)
- Discharge (needs a double-bladed lightsaber according to tooltip)
- Lacerate (this was a surprise as it is not stated in the tooltip that it would need a double-bladed lightsaber)

Charging the electrostaff is working as long as a dbls is equipped for the charging itself and weapons are swapped afterwards.

But, apart from that, I managed fine with a combination of Slash, Thrash and my stealth and electric force abilities. So fine indeed that for many foes I didn't even need my healing companion (or any companion at all for that). Until now at least... The only real downside with this limitation in usable abilities is, that killing even the lightest trash mob takes a looong time (compared to my vibrosword-wielding Juggernaut that can use all his abilities with that weapon...). And I really had looked forward to being able to add Lacerate to my rotation but it seems, the tooltips are not as reliable an information source as I thought...

Cheers, Niko
The Progenitor: Hran'orfon - Chiss Ascendancy Sniper Vidaar Amakiir - Imperial Honor Guard
Jung Ma: Lythe Vodaine - Jedi Healer

Squidkidz's Avatar


Squidkidz
01.24.2013 , 03:11 AM | #6
Just don't, this thread is as pointless as the thread about stacking Strength that happened a few months ago, then people actually spend time discussing it...just stop, please...
Majinn | Blāck
<Hey im mvp> Sexual Harassment Specialist
IInfinite Empire > The Bastion

tXHereticXt's Avatar


tXHereticXt
01.24.2013 , 03:33 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by dermitni View Post
But, apart from that, I managed fine with a combination of Slash, Thrash and my stealth and electric force abilities. So fine indeed that for many foes I didn't even need my healing companion (or any companion at all for that). Until now at least... The only real downside with this limitation in usable abilities is, that killing even the lightest trash mob takes a looong time (compared to my vibrosword-wielding Juggernaut that can use all his abilities with that weapon...). And I really had looked forward to being able to add Lacerate to my rotation but it seems, the tooltips are not as reliable an information source as I thought...

Cheers, Niko
What's the point of grabbing Dark Ward, I thought Charges required DBLSs?

Honestly as far as cosmetics go, whatever floats your boat but until they change/fix it - you're putting yourself at a huge disadvantage come later. As you say, killing light trash mobs takes a while but when you start doing strongs or elites of same level you'll be in for a world of hurt. Furthermore, should you group in FPs you're doing them a diservice because you are not fighting at optimal capacity... that is unless you plan on being level 25 doing Black Talon.

dermitni's Avatar


dermitni
01.24.2013 , 06:27 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by tXHereticXt View Post
What's the point of grabbing Dark Ward, I thought Charges required DBLSs?
Nope, Discharge requires a DBLS, but the charges work just fine apart from that. With Dark Ward for example, you can see when it steals life from your foe and gives it to you.

And regarding Flashpoints, PVP and that stuff: I don't really play those, so nothing to worry there.

Quote: Originally Posted by Squidkidz View Post
Just don't, this thread is as pointless as the thread about stacking Strength that happened a few months ago, then people actually spend time discussing it...just stop, please...
Why? Its just an experiment to see how well thought the design choice of nerfing electrostaves is and how far I can use this weapon while leveling up. Right now, it still makes fun playing a staff-wielding assassin, so why stop now? Because you say so?

Cheers, Niko
The Progenitor: Hran'orfon - Chiss Ascendancy Sniper Vidaar Amakiir - Imperial Honor Guard
Jung Ma: Lythe Vodaine - Jedi Healer

_biddan_'s Avatar


_biddan_
01.24.2013 , 07:05 AM | #9
this thread inspired me to make a electrostaff weilding assassin dressed like a imperial guard in a RP server : D
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50

tXHereticXt's Avatar


tXHereticXt
01.24.2013 , 08:06 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by dermitni View Post
Nope, Discharge requires a DBLS, but the charges work just fine apart from that. With Dark Ward for example, you can see when it steals life from your foe and gives it to you.
Interesting, that makes a lot of sense. Didn't know that.