Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Etiquitte for needing in SM Ops

LogicalPremise
01.23.2013 , 03:07 AM | #1
I know a lot of people run SM ops for comms, and a lot run them to gear up their toons. My jugg is still gearing up, and tonight we had a KP SM run.

Long story short, some guy in mostly campaign and rak rolled need on a columni mainhand weapon for SW when he was playing a healing sorc. Now, I can see needing on crap in FP , esp tionese garbage, to gear up your companions. But when you're clearly that geared already and just running for comms, is it really just allowed to screw someone like that?

When called out on it, he immediately drops group, won't trade, and whispers me some lame garbage about how he owes me one, as if I'd ever run an OP with that kind of person again. I won't post his name in the forums since the devs seem to dislike that, but I do have a couple of questions:

1) Is it inappropriate to repeatedly call the guy out in gen-chat and to let his guidies know what he did?

2) Assuming you think so, why is it permissible to gimp my progress in such a fashion? Please leave out any garbage about companions, since I cannot possibly think of any reason (or quest) that requires you to have a companion with columni mods. When I soloed the two H2 in the HK-51 quest my companion wasn't even in tionese.
Majynn, L55 Sorc - The Society - Harbinger
Garadan, L55 Jugg- Dark Void - Harbinger
Vongrath, L35 Op- Dark Void - Harbinger

slafko
01.23.2013 , 03:39 AM | #2
Add them to /ignore and carry on. You're giving them more attention than they deserve.

AshlaBoga
01.23.2013 , 03:40 AM | #3
"When called out on it, he immediately drops group, won't trade, and whispers me some lame garbage about how he owes me one."

Yeah, what he owes you is the mainhand. He probably stole that (stole is the right term I believe) for an alt or a companion (I'm guessing it was for Khem Val or maybe he has a Warrior/Knight alt). Either way, that was a jerk move on his part. I'd contact his guild leader and let them know before calling him out in general chat. Pressure from his buddies should do the trick.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

mastirkal
01.23.2013 , 11:06 AM | #4
Thinking too deep about it, ninja-ing happens. Just ignore and move on.

Swaption
01.23.2013 , 12:17 PM | #5
Talking to his guild leader is a good first step. If they are all ******es, call them out in gen chat or the server threads (esp if they do their recruiting there). Screenshots are also good.

Just to clarify, I assume this is a pug/gf run, and that you are at full Tionese+. If you are undergeared (ie. greens implants/earpiece, or in recruit) or haven't read the fight guides, you are being carried and will receive less respect for loot. As an example, we had an idiot jugg show up to a SM GF op in greens and blues. No one really cared when his class loot was ninja'd. (I hope this wasn't you)
Kgu - Sniper | Kzg - Mercenary | K-g - Marauder

Mistress_Ivi
01.23.2013 , 01:35 PM | #6
Rule of thumb. Wait for all players to greed, if all before you have done so - THEN ask if it's okay, if you want the purple crystal... or for a comp, if ANY of the group says no... greed like everyone else and move on.

Heck, I feel bad when I run greeds for gear I can't use - to the point I'll offer it away to groupies, if someone wants it... they get it.

Simple solutions :-
- Add ignore (100% never going to group with them via random again)
- Master looter.
Former SWG Player and Bloody Proud of it!

Icestar
01.23.2013 , 02:13 PM | #7
All Bioware has to do is change how need/greed works.

If you have the right class that uses the item you are allowed to roll need, if not only the option greed/pass should be available.

But this has been discussed in hundreds of threads, I am sure Bioware has a plan in the works regarding players taking items they either canīt use themselves at all or sell for cash/gear up companions.

Monoth
01.23.2013 , 03:29 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
All Bioware has to do is change how need/greed works.

If you have the right class that uses the item you are allowed to roll need, if not only the option greed/pass should be available.

But this has been discussed in hundreds of threads, I am sure Bioware has a plan in the works regarding players taking items they either canīt use themselves at all or sell for cash/gear up companions.

Wouldn't stop the QQ'ing as the person with the right to roll Need would do so just for his companion or alt...

General Rule is Need if it's an upgrade for YOU, and roll Greed for companion or an alt.... I usually pass if I can't use it one way or another to let other people who want them for their companions to get it...
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Icestar
01.23.2013 , 05:28 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
Wouldn't stop the QQ'ing as the person with the right to roll Need would do so just for his companion or alt...
This would only in that case apply to 2 advanced classes out of 16. A very acceptable situation until a more thorough solution can be made. I still stand by that changing the option to only be able to need if it something your character can use is the best solution. Greed can easily be used for every other item, and in special cases a simpel communication regarding the item can be the solution if someone wants it for a companion,

Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
General Rule is Need if it's an upgrade for YOU, and roll Greed for companion or an alt.... I usually pass if I can't use it one way or another to let other people who want them for their companions to get it...
Yes, you and me understand that but I would say that the majority of the playerbase does not. Many other successful MMOs out there has implemented loot restriction to huge success without any complaints. It is time ToR does so aswell.

Only this evening I have seen: Scoundrel needing and taking aim items. A warrior that thought a epic willpowerbarrel was more suitable for his lightsaber, and finally a trooper that thought that strength helmet would look awesome on him. Everything taken by need option when other characters in the team could have used it with great benefit.

The ninjas all ended up on ignore ofcourse.

So basicly, we can all pretend that there is some kind of "general rule" out there but fact is that there is not. What Bioware needs to do is change this anarchy lootsystem into something innovative and creative, I am 100% certain it will make more happy players in the long run.

FlyinSpaghetti
01.23.2013 , 07:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Mistress_Ivi View Post
Simple solutions :-
- Master looter.
Rule number one is never use master looter in a PuG run.

Ever.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!