Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Tiibbyy's Avatar


Tiibbyy
01.23.2013 , 01:03 PM | #121
General chat in the starting planets is usually the worst.

My solution it to switch the tab to the combat log or something. That usually will turn it off. leaving the General Channel also helps turn off the stupid innane chatter off too. There really isn't much else that can be done about it.

I don't know what it is about the internet, but ppl like to say things they normally couldn't, or wouldn't say if they where face to face. If happens in every game. Not just this one.

But don't want to look at it ... turn it off and there can be silence again. At least in this game it is a little bit easier to turn off those channels. Does it make it right for them to have potty mouths all the time? No, probly not. But at least you won't have to listen to it if you turn the chat channel off.
Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha, beta, psychedelic funky?

tweekbrand's Avatar


tweekbrand
01.23.2013 , 01:25 PM | #122
Am I the only one actually playing the game instead of reading chat?
Who cares. Do you really think that the guy saying he is going to rape children is really going to rape children?
They say it just to get a rise out of people. All you complainers do is add more fuel to their fire.

Freaking complainers are worse in my opinion. Especially since there are already SEVERAL soulutions.

Don't read chat
Turn it off
Turn on language filter
/ignore

It is not like there are words that you are forced to hear. You have to actually read the bloody chat. Don't do it.
Pretty simple solution.

edit
FFS just the simple logistics of having each gen chat, for each planet/zone, on every server, 24/7. Well over a hundred people.
Ill take 10 decent programmers fixing bugs over something that is easily avoided.

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
01.23.2013 , 01:35 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by tweekbrand View Post
Am I the only one actually playing the game instead of reading chat?
Who cares. Do you really think that the guy saying he is going to rape children is really going to rape children?
They say it just to get a rise out of people. All you complainers do is add more fuel to their fire.

Freaking complainers are worse in my opinion. Especially since there are already SEVERAL soulutions.

Don't read chat
Turn it off
Turn on language filter
/ignore

It is not like there are words that you are forced to hear. You have to actually read the bloody chat. Don't do it.
Pretty simple solution.

edit
FFS just the simple logistics of having each gen chat, for each planet/zone, on every server, 24/7. Well over a hundred people.
Ill take 10 decent programmers fixing bugs over something that is easily avoided.
Your solution is for people to forgo the use of a tool for communication so that those who decide to not adhere to the ToS and the RoC can continue doing so in peace?

I like the idea of enforcing the rules more.
Master No'ja Vace -The Ebon Hawk Server
Co-Leader, The Way of the Maker - Family style Christian guild.

Ifolad's Avatar


Ifolad
01.23.2013 , 01:44 PM | #124
Agreed, people using the internet as a shield against consequences is lame. I feel sorry for all those people who feel that attention gained by stupidity is ok. It really makes me wonder just how old some of these people are. I'd like to assume they are teenagers (lets face it teenagers are a rowdy dis-respectful bunch these days) My parents are baby boomers and they even say today's teenagers have worse mouths and attitudes than ever before. Yet, it would be closed-minded to assume one age group is the culprit. It makes me ask, "would you talk to your mom with that mouth?" The usual response is "my mom's dead" or "no but i'll use it on your mom tonight" type of response. REALLY? Other's response to why they troll in general, "I have a ****** job, ****** life, someone else screwed it up for me, therefore I have a god given right to persecute any and all I feel deserve it." REALLY? Come on people grow up.

I'm not trying to defend them of course, however, in any argument both sides must be represented

Sadly, nothing I can do or say will change the attitudes of some people. Lets face it, some people are jerks who don't care about anything other than themself and their own happiness. They don't care that they offend someone. Offending people makes them laugh, which is why the continue to do it.

SO how do you beat the bully?

Solution: You take the bully's power away. Turn off gen chat, /ignore people, /report them, create tickets stop being lazy, and for the love of pete don't respond to them. Responses give them fuel to test their constant douchey behavior.

Now we can all hope that someday I learn to teleport and said trolls find themself getting noses slammed into keyboards from behind everytime they start up. Trust me I wish I could do us all this favor. Alas with great power comes great responsibility and if I could teleport trust me i'd be saving people, not hammering trolls faces into their keyboards over and over again. But we can all have hopes and dreams.

Props to all the people who choose to behave in a responsible constructive manner i'm on your side.

-Ifo 50 Seer The Shadowlands

Kabjat's Avatar


Kabjat
01.23.2013 , 02:05 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by dunphyr View Post

If you want regulation because you don't like that others can act in a way that you find deplorable, then tough. If it were that easy then I would report everyone that complains in gen chat about what others are saying because I find that more deplorable then what is being said by some 12 yr old that doesn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy so he has to use trolling to get people to talk to him.
No, it's NOT that 'tough'. If enough people like me report TOS violations WHEN they occur, then the offensive parties and undesirable element will hopefully be slapped with suspensions. I don't whine about it, I simply use the tools available to me.

People who report ACTIONABLE offenses won't get in trouble just because you don't like following rules set in place. Chat logs won't condemn them....they condemn the rule breakers. Get over yourself.

So yeah....it IS that easy.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

LordFailstrom's Avatar


LordFailstrom
01.23.2013 , 02:11 PM | #126
Not intentionally TRYING to be a troll here, but I really must play devil's advocate for a moment, primarily for the US Servers... they have chat filters and ignore settings for a reason...after all, there is a little thing known as the First Amendment...some of you may want to google it, or just play on and complain about non US Servers... just a thought...

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
01.23.2013 , 02:15 PM | #127
Hey, if Gen Chat wasn't so offensive that people had to turn it off, maybe you could find a group for a heroic, or get some help on a quest, or even do a little RP in chat.

There have been times in TOR when I saw this sort of stuff happening. It would be nice to have this again.

If some kid were in a restaurant cursing and screaming and threatening and calling people w**res, wouldn't you expect their parents to get them to knock it off? And if the parents did nothing about it, wouldn't you expect the restaurant to kick them out?

@LordFailstrom, Nobody is asking for Congress to get involved and pass laws ... Oh wait, that's not what you meant? Did you want to re-read the First Amendment and try again?

Kabjat's Avatar


Kabjat
01.23.2013 , 02:21 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Ifolad View Post
SO how do you beat the bully?

Solution: You take the bully's power away. Turn off gen chat, /ignore people, /report them, create tickets stop being lazy, and for the love of pete don't respond to them. Responses give them fuel to test their constant douchey behavior.

Props to all the people who choose to behave in a responsible constructive manner i'm on your side.

-Ifo 50 Seer The Shadowlands
+1 good sir. This this this. While I loathe the idea of being forced to isolate myself from the general population just to avoid the few unimaginative mouth breathers whose presence taints general chat, I concede it is the only option at times. But if I do find myself unfortunate enough to see what has become par for the course in SW:TOR general chat, I will exercise my rights and report.

I don't want to look at naked middle aged women pole dancing, so my tendency is to stay out of nudie bars. It's my responsibility to stay out of such locations if I wish to be protected from viewing sad pathetic women shaking their behinds for equally sad pathetic men. However, I wouldn't hesitate to call the cops if Lady Godiva showed up at my 12 year old's birthday party.

An MMO is like my 12 year old's birthday party. Freedom of speech and expression do not apply.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

LordFailstrom's Avatar


LordFailstrom
01.23.2013 , 02:48 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Kabjat View Post
An MMO is like my 12 year old's birthday party. Freedom of speech and expression do not apply.
all my post was intended to point out is that ^^^this^^^ attitude is a matter of opinion, given all of the words that i have seen blocked out with the chat filter on, I really don't see where all this room for getting uppity about language is coming from...not to mention the fact that ignoring people makes it nice and easy to not even see the constant ******* bleep outs...

End argument for me:
I, personally, believe people these days are far too easily offended in a world that is nothing but offensive to most...
feel free to disagree, it is your prerogative..

Kabjat's Avatar


Kabjat
01.23.2013 , 03:40 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFailstrom View Post
all my post was intended to point out is that ^^^this^^^ attitude is a matter of opinion, given all of the words that i have seen blocked out with the chat filter on, I really don't see where all this room for getting uppity about language is coming from...not to mention the fact that ignoring people makes it nice and easy to not even see the constant ******* bleep outs...

End argument for me:
I, personally, believe people these days are far too easily offended in a world that is nothing but offensive to most...
feel free to disagree, it is your prerogative..
And this is where your subjective opinions get run over by objective rules. My attitude isn't a matter of opinion. The fact remains that at my son's birthday party, I make the rules....just the same as Bioware (and any MMO maker out there) make objective do's and don'ts for its community to choose to follow. If they choose NOT to follow them, then action CAN be taken against the offenders if they are reported for said bad behavior.

Whether people are offended by constant bleep outs or resent having to turn off chat because of the constant barrage of gutter speech is immaterial. I do feel free to disagree with you and I maintain that you are free to choose to NOT be offended by hate speech. It doesn't change the truth that Bioware's TOS back up my position and that makes me FREE to report bad behavior.

You cited the First Amendment to defend bad behavior and to maintain people are too easily offended. This is a weak argument and I would be interested to see how you back it up.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?