Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best pvp tank for guarding healers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Best pvp tank for guarding healers?

Peter_The_Pro
01.13.2013 , 05:45 PM | #1
I'm about to make a new character on a pvp world so I can play with my healer friend in warzones. Anyone got any suggestions on the best tank for guarding healers in pvp, and what makes them the best. I would really appreciate if you include a nice build for them. My friend is a scoundrel.

Thanks!

Kitru
01.13.2013 , 05:53 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Peter_The_Pro View Post
I'm about to make a new character on a pvp world so I can play with my healer friend in warzones. Anyone got any suggestions on the best tank for guarding healers in pvp, and what makes them the best.
A Guardian/Jugg. Guardian Leap/Intercede combined with Force Leap and the Guardian CDs give Guardians the best utility and ally assistance capability of all of the PvP tanks. Shadow tanks have better damage and node interrupting/guarding capability, but they can't do as well with specifically guarding a healer. VGs just don't have the same toolbox (only 1 real survivability CD, negligible utility; their only real advantage is Harpoon, which Shadow tanks match with Force Pull while they bring even more on top of it).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

WannaSpoon
01.14.2013 , 11:33 AM | #3
I've looked over the forums and couldn't find any good info on how to gear my jugg for pvp tank. I don't want to make a dps tank but an actual tank. I've read shield is near useless in pvp so how should i prioritize my stats for tanking purposes?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but the info could be useful to the op as well.

Kitru
01.14.2013 , 12:04 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by WannaSpoon View Post
I've looked over the forums and couldn't find any good info on how to gear my jugg for pvp tank. I don't want to make a dps tank but an actual tank. I've read shield is near useless in pvp so how should i prioritize my stats for tanking purposes?
If you're going as a pure tank in PvP, your best bet is to prioritize Expertise (since it is a global reduction in damage taken) and Endurance (since it will actually keep you alive for longer against all types of attacks). You still want to use a shield since some attacks can still be shielded, but the stat allocation priority just changes thanks to the different ratio and need to prioritize short term survivability over long term survivability.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

TalonKorr
01.17.2013 , 02:46 AM | #5
Min Maxing for PvP as a tanky Guardian/Juggernaut is pretty simple.

BIS Earpiece is Battlemaster, BIS implants are the EWH, though they are only marginally better than the BM implants.

Four piece PvP tanking set bonus is garbage. Your job isn't to do damage, it's to take it, and render the other DPS useless. Get the two piece Vindicator Set Bonus, this will heal you for 8% whenever you Guardian Leap, a far better set bonus. I also prefer to use the 2 piece PvE set bonus personally. Check my armory for how I have that set up.

On the WH tier, it's the simplest thing in the world. Once you have your set bonus, replace every mod and enhancement with the mod and enhancement from the boots. Just keep buying boots, over and over again. Lightsaber, shield gen, waist and wrists, etc, just replace everything with the stats from the boots. Why? Because as you mentioned, Defense is king. Shield will not do a thing for you, and absorption is even worse. Unfortunately you'll be picking up a bunch of shield rating as you get this gear, however there's not a lot you can do about it. The boot stats have the best distribution of high endurance and defense rating available. Continuing on, socket everything for endurance (18 end, 12 power augs). Replace the crystal(s) in your lightsaber and shield with endurance crystals. Craft at least three of the Guardian 27 armorings, use them in your belt/bracers and 1 item in your 5 set, since you only need two and two to maintain set bonuses. If you choose the PvE set bonus route, craft five guardian 27 armorings and place in the PvE shells you'll be using, again, check my armory. And of course, use the Imperiling Serenity relics.

TLR - Buy the boots over and over again, and replace all mods and enhancements in every piece of gear with the mods and enhancements from the boots, then socket for endurance, and craft the PvE armorings.

EWH gearing. Fortunately for gearing tanks, it's pretty easy for us. Instead of buying the boots this time, you'll be buying the gloves, again, over and over, replace all mods and enhancements with it. Replace appropriate armorings (vindicators) and hilts (MH/OH) and you'll be good.

Spec:

A fair bit of people seem to favor the middle tree spec. Personally I don't. I'm here to tank and not die, commiting so much to the vigilance/vengeance tree for the static 4% reduction in dmg taken sacrifices way too much utility from the tanking tree. Another standard I've seen is the 27/12/2 spec, which is solid, but puts two points in the ravage/master strike talent, again, I'm not here to DPS so I made my own build, which is 29/12/0. My philosophy is area denial, debuffing and not dying, and this spec is best suited to do all of that. Yes, you're never going to contribute much as a DPS to the team, but, you'll be contributing to the team's DPS with the debuffs you're spreading around.

Anyway, if you have any questions or whatever, feel free to check the armory link in my sig or post back here.

Regards,
Flak / <Lethal Dose Fifty> / <LD-Fifty> - Jedi Covenant - Juggernaut
Retired: Cates, Grisha, Scuf

ScrubinMuhTub
01.22.2013 , 01:08 PM | #6
Was stumbling around the forums, and wanted to provide some support, in a different sort of way, to what Cates said.

Likely the best, or best known, guardian tank on our server (Jedi Covenant), Cates not only runs with a good group, but plays reasonably well with objectives and is absolutely right in saying that (whatever he does) makes him incredibly durable. The amount of time it takes to wear away the hitpoints, eat through the cooldowns, and chew up the Guardian known as Cates leaves *minutes* of time for his supporting team members to come along to his aid. This observation comes from a few attempts at his dance party alpha tango mash up in civil war, in his few solo ventures.

That being said, when he is provided with someone to guard, neither he nor that individual ever seem to die. Apart from his ability, the combination of his guardian leap (heal), gear set up, ultra high endurance (which helps his self heal), taunts, and obviously his healer, this set up is the most durable tanking set up I've come across in my year of killing/separating healers and their tanks, across three servers.

At any rate, this isn't a post to bury my face in his butt, but more to support his words. Whatever he is doing, he's doing it right. I'd listen up.
The Muhtub Legacy
Scrubin Cleanin Dump'in Fixin
Bleachin Washin Drainin

TalonKorr
01.24.2013 , 01:23 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ScrubinMuhTub View Post
At any rate, this isn't a post to bury my face in his butt, but more to support his words. Whatever he is doing, he's doing it right. I'd listen up.
Thanks man, it's a thankless job and we rarely get recognized. Always trying to get better.
Flak / <Lethal Dose Fifty> / <LD-Fifty> - Jedi Covenant - Juggernaut
Retired: Cates, Grisha, Scuf

PistolPizzle
01.25.2013 , 03:34 PM | #8
I couldnt agree more Scrubin. I went from a mediocre Vig Guardian to one of the best tanks on the server imo from just asking Cates questions about gear and spec and watching a few of his streams. I would listen to what he has to say.

Khalhazar
01.26.2013 , 10:02 AM | #9
Cates and I disagree on builds, but I have to give him props for reminding me that columi/tionese set bonus is on the shell, not the armoring. 2pc pve tank > 2pc pvp tank. He is on top of things. :-)
Semah Valerian <Some Sith and a Spy> | Juggernaut | Begeren Colony

shanewatts
02.07.2013 , 09:28 PM | #10
I have a further question regarding what the OP was asking. I am rolling a tank to duo with a friend of mine who is playing a healer, which tank should I play in order to maximize utilizing the guard buff for him and still be able to kill enemies. In regards to not relying on others to deal damage. Thanks in advance.