Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SithKoriandr
01.21.2013 , 06:02 PM | #5491
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
In this game, zero. I'm pretty sure their idea was originally to only have a few companions to be SGR compatible, and not necessarily even one for each class.

Bioware has made it clear from the beginning in a lot of aspects of the game that they don't agree with that idea (i.e. not allowing any playable races that aren't near-human). I'm rather happy with the more controlled story approach, though I know that many do not care for it and I understand why. I think they could probably draw up some compromise, though.
Well, yeah zero in game for now

I just see a few problems arising if they don't make every class have a SGR...complaints like "You're forcing me to play this class!"

And I wonder if they'll have complaints if every NPC one can flirt with doesn't have a flirt option for everyone. Really, I wouldn't see a problem with it, they could just say everyone can start it off with a flirt, and a lot of people may get shot down.

Makes me curious how they plan to implement it in the end. As I'm sure others are curious about it.

wainot-keel
01.22.2013 , 07:07 AM | #5492
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I just see a few problems arising if they don't make every class have a SGR...complaints like "You're forcing me to play this class!"
Nice. You seem to see the problem on "this" side. BW has nothting to do with it.

SithKoriandr
01.22.2013 , 07:54 AM | #5493
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Nice. You seem to see the problem on "this" side. BW has nothting to do with it.
What? You don't think that won't be said if SGR Companions are only made available to a couple of classes?

If they make it so Jaesa is the only female SGR on the Empire side, people won't be saying "But I want Mako for my BH?" or "But I hate playing SW, I prefere ranged and/or healing!"

Edit: Oh. I see the problems from BW side. They should of put in a few SGR companions from the beginning, said screw it we'll spend a bit more, and then they'd likely be saving themselves a lot more headaches.

JovethGonzalez
01.22.2013 , 09:44 AM | #5494 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
You've slipped this line in a couple of your posts and I wanted to address it as I think it's misconceived.

He referred to SGRs, not SGRAs, and I feel a certain amount of misunderstanding has arisen due to that truncated acronym. Some of the non-companion flirts result in a bit of fade-to-black action and I think that the use of 'SGRs' was, in this case, intended to refer to that (they're not arcs precisely, after all, but could roughly be described as romances).

Here's where I think the issue is: most of us (myself included) largely see no difference between the acronyms 'SGR' and 'SGRA' except, obviously, for the letter 'A'. When I use the term it's to refer to the companion story arcs and whilst I can't speak for anyone else I do suspect that most people consider 'SGRAs' and 'SGRs' to mean the same thing: same gender companion romance arcs.

I've started using the acronym SGFPs (same gender flirt prompts) to differentiate between the two. If Mr Gonzales were to address his position on the matter I suspect he'd clarify his use of 'SGRs' in the context of the comments you're referring to, Tatile, was to refer to non-companion flirt prompts.

I respectfully suggest that it's inaccurate to claim his comments mean that he thinks that what you call 'throw-away flirts' are equal to full-fledged companion romances. I likewise suggest that when he referred to SGRs he did so as it was the term being used in the Hickman Update and was referring directly back to that (swapping to a different acronym would have just confused the matter) but that both he and the Hickman Update are referring specifically to SGFPs going in with Makeb, and not that they're intended to be a replacement (or even particularly comparative to) SGRAs.

The only one who can clarify what he meant for certain, of course, is JovethGonzales himself.
This is correct. I was using SGR as anything involved with flirting and romance options in general (however heavy or light they may be). I use SGRA to refer to same gender romance arcs, which means something more in depth than flirting. Hopefully that clears things up from my post.

Lent_San
01.22.2013 , 10:52 AM | #5495
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
This is correct. I was using SGR as anything involved with flirting and romance options in general (however heavy or light they may be). I use SGRA to refer to same gender romance arcs, which means something more in depth than flirting. Hopefully that clears things up from my post.
So with Makeb we're getting the former but not the latter? Have not been following the discussion yesterday, so I may be late to this.

Tatile
01.22.2013 , 12:20 PM | #5496
So it's only throw-away [Flirt]s on Makeb, then?

Ugh, just, well... fine. Whatever. Not sure why I feel let down about this, it was always just going to be throw-away [Flirt]s but... yeah :/

I'm going to become a small ball of hate and misery for a while, see you guys in a bit.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
So with Makeb we're getting the former but not the latter? Have not been following the discussion yesterday, so I may be late to this.
That's exactly what's he's saying. There's a nagging part of me which says that the straight option will have access to both (because hey! why should straight people feel left out?), but I know I shouldn't feel bitter because I'm supposed to be SO HAPPY that Bioware took over a year to tell us we were getting [Flirt] options which won't lead to anything...

ARGH.

Soup time.

Costello
01.22.2013 , 12:38 PM | #5497
With the Introduction of SGR will we see a more mature story telling? Currently I don't think many people would find the stories overly deep or emotional, with a few exception following a more PG comic book slant of OTT bad guys and conflict which is at both times galaxy spaning and ineffective with no real follow on.

Now SGR would hopefully be told in a mature adult way and as such will this be seen in the rest of the story writing?

Lent_San
01.22.2013 , 12:50 PM | #5498
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
That's exactly what's he's saying. There's a nagging part of me which says that the straight option will have access to both (because hey! why should straight people feel left out?), but I know I shouldn't feel bitter because I'm supposed to be SO HAPPY that Bioware took over a year to tell us we were getting [Flirt] options which won't lead to anything...
Yeah, feel the same way, been expecting a little more, although I appreciate them starting with something, rather than do nothing. I just hope this "more infos soon" (Hickman) will include a few more details as to when and how we can expect more, otherwise this is a little.... sparse.

Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
With the Introduction of SGR will we see a more mature story telling? Currently I don't think many people would find the stories overly deep or emotional, with a few exception following a more PG comic book slant of OTT bad guys and conflict which is at both times galaxy spaning and ineffective with no real follow on. Now SGR would hopefully be told in a mature adult way and as such will this be seen in the rest of the story writing?
I would hope so. If some of the same writers get involved with writing possible new chars, I don't know though. I like some writers' input more than others. Since TOR is rated "T", as far as sexuality is concerned, we won't be getting to see more, certainly, but a bit more maturity in the writing would be great. I would consider drama, jealousy and all that "mature", in case that was unclear.

Tatile
01.22.2013 , 12:58 PM | #5499
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Yeah, feel the same way, been expecting a little more, although I appreciate them starting with something, rather than do nothing. I just hope this "more infos soon" (Hickman) will include a few more details as to when and how we can expect more, otherwise this is a little.... sparse.

I would hope so. If some of the same writers get involved with writing possible new chars, I don't know though. I like some writers' input more than others. Since TOR is rated "T", as far as sexuality is concerned, we won't be getting to see more, certainly, but a bit more maturity in the writing would be great. I would consider drama, jealousy and all that "mature", in case that was unclear.
As much as I'd like for Mr. Hickman's "more info soon" statement to be that Mr. Gonzalez and Ms. Berryman will be engaging with us in this thread about our concerns and specifically covering the same-gender companion romances (basically all the information that would have been great to have in the year just past, i.e. there will be delays, this is awful, we're sorry), I don't expect that to happen. It's more than likely the "more info soon" is going to be "You get ONE same-sex [Flirt] for a male NPC and ONE same-sex [Flirt] for a female NPC, because then they're equal, isn't that nice? Oh, and opposite-sex [Flirt]s number elventy-billion."

I'd like to think "mature" writing means "mature" themes - like relationship problems, life problems and that sort of thing, rather than the sensationalized "mature" which is sex!, in great and explicit detail.

Lent_San
01.22.2013 , 01:16 PM | #5500
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
As much as I'd like for Mr. Hickman's "more info soon" statement to be that Mr. Gonzalez and Ms. Berryman will be engaging with us in this thread about our concerns and specifically covering the same-gender companion romances (basically all the information that would have been great to have in the year just past, i.e. there will be delays, this is awful, we're sorry), I don't expect that to happen. It's more than likely the "more info soon" is going to be "You get ONE same-sex [Flirt] for a male NPC and ONE same-sex [Flirt] for a female NPC, because then they're equal, isn't that nice? Oh, and opposite-sex [Flirt]s number elventy-billion."
I was thinking ( I may be wrong though) that this "more info soon" was referring to the part of the statement that said they were planning for more SGR options in the future. My expectation would definitely be that if Makeb has only flirts, actual SGRAs would be implemented later, possibly with old/new companions, possibly with NPCs, depending on where they're going with SGRs in general. Anything less than that is not something I would be content with.

A propos soup. As chance would have it, I am making soup right now, it's been cooking for over an hour. How very fitting.