Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How Important Are Key Bindings vs Point & Click?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How Important Are Key Bindings vs Point & Click?

Avanami
01.21.2013 , 09:50 AM | #171
Keybind > click - that for 99% players, but there are 1 % of players that can do clicking extremly fast .
Akinaro - Jedi Shadow of ToFN

KettleBelll
01.21.2013 , 10:17 AM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by Avanami View Post
Keybind > click - that for 99% players, but there are 1 % of players that can do clicking extremly fast .
Just like peace, this is a lie.

Avanami
01.21.2013 , 10:35 AM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by KettleBelll View Post
Just like peace, this is a lie.
I did not believe until i saw a Gladiator Mage stream in WoW where he clicked his skill so fast and so good that i was realy impressed
Akinaro - Jedi Shadow of ToFN

Darth-Rammstein
01.21.2013 , 05:47 PM | #174
I used to click when I first started playing wow like 8 years ago since it was my first mmo and since I was a noob I didn't understand the importance of keybinding...do yourself a favor and buy a gaming mouse like a naga or a g600, it will make you a better player.
Belgoth's Beacon ----> The Fatman ----> Prophecy of the Five

Roastmouse
01.21.2013 , 06:03 PM | #175
I've played a MDPS since launch (valor 100 marauder) and here's my 2 cents on keybinds.

Simple essentials:

WAD for movement (A and D for strafe). Rebound S key to basic attack (assault), no more backpedaling. Some advocate using RDFG since you access more keys to the left side of your hand but I don't find it necessary.
Mouse turning; right mouse button held at all times to keep camera moving; camera zoomed out to about 80% (change that in the game settings). Combined with WASD, this allows for maximum mobility and situational awareness.
Hold down left+right mouse buttons to move forward while doing fast/complex keybinds or when tunneling a healer and feeling lazy.

Now for keybinds themselves:
I tend to put abilties with similar purposes in the same slots across different specs and characters, because muscle memory can work for or against you. Most accessible keybinds for the most-used abilities (FQERZXC12345); I like using shift modifiers for channeled abilities.
S is basic attack (assault), as mentioned before. On healers it can be the basic heal (diagnostic scan), or bubble.
F is my 'opener' key. On the mara it is force charge, on PT it's explosive dart, on sorc healer resurgence etc.
Q is my 'spammer' key, or my most frequently used abilities. On rage mara it's vicious slash, on carnage it is masscre, as anni it's rupture, PT is flame burst, etc
E is my 'finisher' key. Rage mara = smash, carnage mara = scream, anni mara = annihilate, pyro PT = railshot; basically your hard hitting finisher
R is my execute (vicious throw). For classes that don't have an execute i bind it to something stealth or speed related (force speed, sneak).
12345 for common abilities. E.g. 1- battering assault, 2 - force crush, 3 - obliterate, 4 - retaliate
Shift-S for your hard hitting/healing channel. E.g. ravage, unload, dark infusion, kolto injection
Shift-F for primary stun e.g. choke, electro dart, electrocute
Shift-QER for miscellaneous
Shift-Space for primary mez e.g. roar, whirlwind, flashbang
Shift WAD for defensive cooldowns e.g. wz adrenal, cloak of pain, saber ward, energy shield
V for emergency e.g. undying rage, vanish, unnatural preservation
ZXC for utility e.g. obfuscate, snare, interrupt, taunts
Shift-ZXC for grenades
Middle mouse button for force camo on my mara, overload on sorc, crouch on operative
Mouse button 4 (on my mouse its the button under my thumb) for CC breaker
Shift - Mouse button 4 for wz medpack
T for throw huttball
F1-F4 for special abilities. In my case F1=berserk, F2=predation, F3=bloodthirst, F4=frenzy
`(tilde) for regen
ctrl+S for mount, ctrl+D for rocket boost
Shift-mouse scroll up for mark target star, shift-mouse scroll down for mark target reticle, numpad 1-5 for mark target saber/flame/shield etc

Hope this helps

LadyVix
01.22.2013 , 03:10 AM | #176
I'm a clicker because I'm left handed. Mouse in my left hand, directional movement with my right hand, i.e. forward/back/strafe left/strafe right with arrow keys. delete/end/page down are mapped for select closest enemy, leap to next target skill, and select closest party member. (depending on what class I'm playing)

Right handed people have ripped on me in the past, but WASD, the top number keys and F keys just don't work unless you're right handed. Sitting centered in front of your keyboard, try reaching over and WASD with your right hand. Imagine playing with your arm twisted like that whenever you play. It just doesn't work.

mclammitys
01.22.2013 , 03:42 AM | #177
I would say you can play this game 99% as good as clicker or binder

There are couple things you can do better as clicker in this game even, but if you want to be the best, binder is the way to go.

Love Fluffy
Fluffy The Drunk Assas.... Shadow =)
Guild: Harbinger
Role: GM
Raiting: +3,9K My Stream

Smashbrother
01.22.2013 , 04:12 AM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by MichaelSean View Post
Old dog here trying to learn a new trick.

For as long as I've been playing MMOs, I've been a point and clicker with regards to my primary powers. However, I've seen a few things online that have lead me to the conclusion that, while this works fine for PVE, for PVP play it's less than optimal. And I'm trying to up my game.

Since I just started playing TOR today, I thought what better time to try and relearn the way I've traditionally played? Only trouble is I'm having a hell of a time with it. I understand the theory that, the fewer the mouse clicks, and the more one does with their keyboard, the more mobility one has. And in PVP mobility = survivability.

That said, I find that when I try to use the 1-8 keys for my main powers, rather than my traditional point and click method, I'm more rooted than ever because I keep having to move my left hand all over the place. With my point and click method, my left hand is freed up to keep me more in constant motion. So it's having the opposite effect of what I intended.

I'm sure part of it is that I need more practice but, I'm curious, are hot keys THE definitive way to PVP or is point and click with the mouse viable? Thanks.
Rebind 6 and up as other things. Use can use alt+ (1-5), shift + (1-5), q, e, r, t, s, f, z, x, and alt/shift versions of those too.

Smashbrother
01.22.2013 , 04:13 AM | #179
Quote: Originally Posted by mclammitys View Post
I would say you can play this game 99% as good as clicker or binder

There are couple things you can do better as clicker in this game even, but if you want to be the best, binder is the way to go.

Love Fluffy
99%? No. Clicking is only ok for pve stuff. Anything pvp and clicking is terribad.

LadyVix
01.22.2013 , 10:25 AM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
99%? No. Clicking is only ok for pve stuff. Anything pvp and clicking is terribad.
The only reason people consider it "bad" is because they're not used to clicking, so when they do click, it becomes unnatural to them and their results are diminished. If you've always clicked, such becomes natural, and you results adjust accordingly.

I click. I'm not the best player, but I can certainly hold my own and perform as well as any other player. In a Novare match yesterday, I came out top in kills, tied for lowest number of deaths, second in total damage (beat out only be a smash monkey), and we won. Not perfect, but overall a respectable PVP showing for a physically handicapped old lady. (really)