Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Arena, implement competitive PVP.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Arena, implement competitive PVP.

Slimewaffle
05.18.2012 , 12:54 AM | #191
I for one like the idea of an arena system even more so if its on the Aussie servers because it would be the first time I would get to play arena style combat on a <50ms latency. I also have a fair few friends who said they are waiting for arena to come to this game before they are willing to commit to playing it. So this would be an added bonus again for me cause I could play with my IRL friends.

Brodanomen
04.06.2013 , 05:12 AM | #192
They should add arenas, but skip 2v2 and problem would be solved. It's will unbalanced bracket. 3v3 and 5v5 in wow were ok, so I think here would be even better. There are gladiators of every class in wow in those brackets and it's easier to play with your friends in those smaller groups. You don't have to find 5 others players if you have 2 friends who play with you.

The problem in wow were unbalanced classes, but also not fair racials. First most pvp players played in horde due to amazing racials (orc's burst, undead wotf). That time the best pvp server in Europe was Stormscale. I remember that even when I played there on cata it was like 27 k horde and 3 k ally. During wotlk Blizz changed human racial which makes him amazingly op. Many players rerolled horde for ally to get that trinket racial. It made human op, for example during s9 in wow undead rogue could hit you with ambush for 26 k with every cd up, but human could hit over 30k. It worked same with other classes. In SWTOR you don't have that problem becouse races don't make these big changes.

The next problem of balancing pvp were really strong pve items which were viable in pvp. There is private wow pvp server called Arena Tournament. When I played s11 on original server I didn't see that fire mages were so op, becouse other classes could get some pve items which made them competitive, but in pure pvp gear in Arena Tournament they just smash every other class. WoW classes were many times balanced worse due to that items. If Bioware dev's will take a lesson of it and make pve epic gear not allowed in arenas (rated wz) it can be the best MMO arena system ever.

Arenas gave me the biggest pvp pleasure ever. It's much different than wz or ever rated wz. Rated bg's destroyed pvp even more than arenas in wow. Many classes aren't viable for rbg for example enhance shaman, retribution paladin. Nobody wants them in a team, becouse comp in rbg is even more important. Really bad people who are keyboard turners get their gear faster than me becouse they played destruction / demonology warlocks and I was enhance shaman. Every battle in rbg looked same the thing that decide about win and lose are seconds or just stupid mistake. If you think it's better than arenas you must be strange.

With adding rbg's blizzard removed skirmishes, which was big mistake. When your arena partners were off and you had free time you could practice with your other friends who weren't so skilled without rating lost. It was really nice didn't take so much time as warzone and you never was bored.

SWTOR needs more lategame pvp posibilities it's sure. The best way would be to add both rated warzones and arenas (but only 3v3 and 5v5) with different looking sets but with same stats. Different parts should be able to get with reaching same stages of rating. Also some different titles and mounts. Skirmishes would be also nice. However making epic pve gear not allowed for max lvl pvp should be also important point to make it more balanced.

Godlymuppet
04.06.2013 , 06:00 AM | #193
Why 3 v 3 or 5 v 5? The obvious size for this game is 4 v 4. That would work well.
Kilmer 55 Scoundrel
Kralik 55 Gunslinger
Kallik 55 Powertech
Cram your glow sticks up your wazoo

Roudysgoodguy
04.06.2013 , 06:08 AM | #194
arenas is a must, if they want to keep players here. seems like BW doesnt give 2 sh@ts tho.

TonyDragonflame
04.06.2013 , 06:39 AM | #195
Arenas and weekly class/4x4 TOURNAMENTS with good rewards - what we all need!!!

Mikeyxxx
05.02.2013 , 04:47 PM | #196
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
Arenas and weekly class/4x4 TOURNAMENTS with good rewards - what we all need!!!
Hopefully BW will listen :S

Genttry
05.02.2013 , 08:52 PM | #197
Quote: Originally Posted by Entrerix View Post
PVP in SWTOR:
Right now it completely consists of warzones and Ilum. There is NOTHING else. I donšt know even if Ilum should count. Sure the Idea of a grand-scale PVP arena is enticing however, what it usually comes down to is 2 large groups who stand at max range from eachother and use AoE spells with some bored melees occasionally leaping in and either dying or vanishing back to their group. There is nothing else to it. Also considering that Republic is severely outnumbered on most servers makes it close to impossible to even complete the daily quest, not to mention enjoying it, if you are not online at 13:00 (CET) when the daily is reset.
Warzones are fun to a degree. I bet there are tons of people who just LOVE warzones. But a warzone is not even close to promoting competitive PVP. Sure, medals and MVP-votes have their merit, but once the wz is over you have nothing to show for it.
I love SWTOR and almost everything about it. PVE is fun, questing etc is really nice, combat is alive but the lack of competitive PVP and the disregard for it is really drawing the overall score back.
I am an ex WoW - player, and the only thing i thoroughly enjoyed in WoW was arena. Especially 3v3 matches where you got your reputation, recieved bettter gear for better performance. Having a similar thing in SWTOR would be more than amazing. SWTOR NEEDS arena. People should have something to strive towards if their focus is PVP, not just looking forward to an endless warzone spam. I want to be the best in PVP, so do many others, but we have no way of proving that since there really is nothing that measures skill in SWTOR PVP.
Please consider the importance of having competitive PVP, and those who agree/disagree please comment. (Unless you are going to write that i should go back to WoW)
/signed

I mentioned this in my other post thanking bioware for taking a step in the right direction with Bolster, even with all of the bugs, et al. I love WoW arenas. At the very least, having an arena system with searchable ratings will help to curb all of these arrogant pvp posts where people claim to be the best pvp'ers ever to play SWTOR. In WoW, after Blizz made ratings searchable, the pvp forum bragging really slowed down. Arena Junkies contains the smack talk now, but at least the people who post there are all in the top 0.5% so they most likely have some knowledge and aren't just legends in their own mind.

Whoops, sorry I talked about the other game too much. I agree with you though...implement 3s or 4s or 5s arena!

edit: 4s arena sounds like a really cool possibility. A tank, heal and 2 dps or...think of all the crazy *** possibilities!

Lheight
05.02.2013 , 09:33 PM | #198
Here are three ideas to increase pvp and overall fun:

1. A single Planet that is fought over biweekly for ownership by either faction. Either Republic or Empire (which ever side won) gets to use the planet for 2 weeks in order to get gear (none faction tradeable) by completing quests on that planet while they still own it.

2. Space stations that clans can call a 'clan hall'. A clan can get a clan hall by pvping, again biweekly, agaisnt its current owners (or npc's if no clan currently owns it). By owning a spacestation a clan would have the ability to do quests, maybe a special raid for 'one of a kind clan hall gear', mats ect. It would also give a place for clans to call home. The neccessary increase in guild cooperation required in order to earn it via pvp agaisnt an empire or republic clan that owns it would give swtor a new pvp fire.

Several loop holes could occur with these ideas which are easily preventable. The first is clan size. Got a clan with a clan hall/space station? well invite everyone to it cuz they want the goods you can get there! So a member limit would need to be set per clan (except per account so you could be all your alts in your main clan).

The gear obtained from planetary ownership quests/raid would need to be none faction tradeable. Otherwise people could just make an alt on the 'winning' faction, get the gear and send it to there alt/main in the opposing faction.

No bolstering stats in either of these 'events'. I work hard to get my gear and levels, let me see if what ive done matters!

'Siege' Times for clan halls would need to be set in a way so that people with different work schedules could have a fair shake. Also, in order to prevent a clan or group of people from becoming too 'powerful' by making several characters, no life playing and making different clans to own all space stations. Therefore, a few space station siege times need to overlap. This will keep clans from making 'super alliances' that can attack/defend all stations since they would need to protect there own instead of defending or attacking for someone else.

An example of the siege time schedule: Saturday: 5 sieges at 1pm and 5 Sieges 3pm. Sunday: 5 Sieges at 1pm and 5 Sieges at 3pm.

The Planetary Siege would be an alternating or 'voteable' one. An example. 1st siege: Saturday at 1pm. 2nd seige (2 weeks later) Saturday at 3pm if enough people voted per subscription account to change the time on this website.

Changing the times makes it possible for anyone who might not be available for 1 specific time every 2 weeks. A system with possible difference are shown by the examples listed above.

Bioware I love the game, keep up the good work but gimme a place to fight for and call home!!

- L

Ariak-
05.03.2013 , 05:10 PM | #199
Quote: Originally Posted by Entrerix View Post
PVP in SWTOR:
Right now it completely consists of warzones and Ilum. There is NOTHING else. I donšt know even if Ilum should count. Sure the Idea of a grand-scale PVP arena is enticing however, what it usually comes down to is 2 large groups who stand at max range from eachother and use AoE spells with some bored melees occasionally leaping in and either dying or vanishing back to their group. There is nothing else to it. Also considering that Republic is severely outnumbered on most servers makes it close to impossible to even complete the daily quest, not to mention enjoying it, if you are not online at 13:00 (CET) when the daily is reset.
Warzones are fun to a degree. I bet there are tons of people who just LOVE warzones. But a warzone is not even close to promoting competitive PVP. Sure, medals and MVP-votes have their merit, but once the wz is over you have nothing to show for it.
I love SWTOR and almost everything about it. PVE is fun, questing etc is really nice, combat is alive but the lack of competitive PVP and the disregard for it is really drawing the overall score back.
I am an ex WoW - player, and the only thing i thoroughly enjoyed in WoW was arena. Especially 3v3 matches where you got your reputation, recieved bettter gear for better performance. Having a similar thing in SWTOR would be more than amazing. SWTOR NEEDS arena. People should have something to strive towards if their focus is PVP, not just looking forward to an endless warzone spam. I want to be the best in PVP, so do many others, but we have no way of proving that since there really is nothing that measures skill in SWTOR PVP.
Please consider the importance of having competitive PVP, and those who agree/disagree please comment. (Unless you are going to write that i should go back to WoW)
Wall of text but I saw SWTOR needs arena, I will support that.
/signed
Ariak / Ultima Online - Baja - 7X Precast Hally Mage
Ariak / Dark Ages of Camelot - Igraine - Ranger
Ariak / SW:TOR - Prophecy of the Five - Lvl 55 PT hybrid
Rayste / SW:TOR - Prophecy of the Five - Lvl 55 Jug

Pouszz
07.20.2013 , 03:13 PM | #200
Quote: Originally Posted by TiTaNsFaN View Post
lol 2v2's powertech sorcerer.

And I thought WoW had ****** balance.
Are you joking? My sorc can waste a PT any day.
Give a retard a fish. He will probably choke on the bones.

Give a retard a fishing rod and he will think he's in Star Wars.