Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag issues

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ramtar
01.17.2013 , 12:45 AM | #531
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hi all,

Thank you for the reports. Can you please post up your server, approximate location and ISP if you are having this problem?
Prophecy of the Five
Central Texas
CenturyLink

Rapturestar
01.17.2013 , 09:18 AM | #532
The lag times have horrible the last two days and my location is Texas and my IP is 192.168.0.101

danpen
01.17.2013 , 11:24 AM | #533
I haveing lag all the time in the game and i do not know what to do.
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

Mandarr
01.17.2013 , 05:29 PM | #534
Server: Harbinger
ISP: Cox Cable

This is getting to be unplayable for sure. Since your patch two weeks back, I've been going from 88 ms upwards to 15000 ms until I end up getting kicked from the game. Sure I can gamble with the server stability and try to do some quests, but I've died more than once doing so and that gets expensive. I can even get bad lag spikes while in space missions. Sure as $#&^ the game lag spiked and crashed me out as soon as I'd used my quick travel trying to bypass all the trash mobs I'd had to kill to get to the zerka base on Tattooine. Come back and I'm still there, yet the quick travel was used, thanks for that. Had to waste time fighting all the respawned trash mobs all the way back again.

If this isn't resolved soon enough I'll just give up the game again and go play something else. I resubbed for two months, but you'll have to get this fixed before I resub again after my game time expires. Enough is enough.

Harbinjer
01.17.2013 , 06:18 PM | #535
Name: Bubafhett
Server: Prophecy of the Five
ISP: Cablelynx

I've been away from game for a while, and just came back in the past 2 weeks. I get anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes (if I'm extremely lucky) before server latency starts spiking and goes to 20K or so, and I get booted. I've written three in-game tickets....the first was simply closed with no information or response, the second ticket I got a canned response about video card issues, character issues, etc, with not one mention about network issues what-so-ever, and the third one has been waiting on a response for 3 days now and is apparently being ignored. Tonight I did a google search, and found a post on these forums about connection issues like this, and it said to try deleting the DiskCacheArena file from the swtor folder. I did, and now when I log in i am at the server select screen, and it's blank! There is no server to even choose from.

I left the game originally because of BS like this. I just resubbed two accounts right before this started, and I was going to pre-order the expansion, but I am not going to waste any more money than I already have.

PS: It's definitely on your end, because even your damn website is slow to load. It's either a problem with YOUR connection or with YOUR servers, so no more canned BS about my ISP, my computer, or my firewall or AV.

This is the post about the DiskCacheArena:
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings ArcturusSaDiablo,

I suspect your machine is trying to check for software updates, please check your task scheduler, not task manager, as in the first item on the list below to see if something is trying to update itself.

Please check the following to help resolve your issue:
  • Check Windows Task Scheduler (not task manager) for any software updates such as Google or Flash that may be interfering with your game connectivity.
  • Ensure that your network connection is stable. If you are using a wireless connection, using a wired connection will improve the connection.
  • You may try power-cycling your router by turning its power off waiting 30 seconds and then turning it back on again.
  • You may need to remove and re-add an exception for SWTOR.exe and launcher.exe to your Firewall and Anti-Virus.
  • Please go to the following location if you have installed the game in its default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor
    From there, delete the file called DiskCacheArena. The DiskCacheArena file is recreated whenever the game starts so it is not harmful to delete this file.
  • If you utilize a VPN for your connection, you need to ensure that the game is allowed to communicate through the VPN. If you are using a proxy server, please ensure that it is configured correctly in Internet Explorer.
  • If you have any third party traffic management software running on your computer, you can try disabling it.
  • Restart the game and attempt to login again.

Let us know if you find anything causing a problem in your task scheduler.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Fluba
01.17.2013 , 09:45 PM | #536
I have been having major lag issues for quite some time now, connecting to Harbinger from the DC area. The lag happens at all times of day, but is worse during the peak hours, such as the evening.

PathPing

Spoiler

There is bad packet loss once I leave the Comcast network (hop 8) and enter the Alter.net (Verizon internet backbone) area, especially on hops 9 & 10, around 15% packet loss! Those servers show large packet loss and also show large lag spikes on the following trace route.

Trace Route

Spoiler

These were both taken on 1/17/2013 around 10:00 pm Eastern Standard Time. Just at that time, in game, I was having lag spikes from the normal 100-130ms to 1000+ms, and sometimes higher. I never got a "red X", but I got such severe lag that the game became unplayable.

I am so annoyed by this that I did a whois lookup and called the tech number given for the alter.net ip address and left them a message alerting them of the issue after trying to have my IP (Comcast) do so. If the CS Droids could possibly tell Verizon Business (alter.net) about their issues and get it fixed soon.

Ybialdan
01.19.2013 , 11:06 AM | #537
Republic or empire side is the regarding lag since last patch! Game not playable for me now was running perfect before last patch not sure what to do now except wait for Elders scroll to come out

jprife
01.21.2013 , 07:01 AM | #538
Quote:
I have been having major lag issues for quite some time now, connecting to Harbinger from the DC area. The lag happens at all times of day, but is worse during the peak hours, such as the evening.
Quote:
There is bad packet loss once I leave the Comcast network (hop 8) and enter the Alter.net (Verizon internet backbone) area, especially on hops 9 & 10, around 15% packet loss! Those servers show large packet loss and also show large lag spikes on the following trace route.
Concur. After running OpenDNS and doing the WoW Leatrix registry tweak (described upthread), I enjoyed a couple of weeks of relatively low-lag playing. However, over the past week, something has happened to the connection and I'm getting huge latency spikes (hitting 500-600k!) followed by Error 9000 server disconnects, which is making the game unplayable again. It took me an hour and a half yesterday to just do my dailies on Ilum because of the lag and repeated disconnects.

On Saturday, I started doing pathpings and tracerts, and found a huge road block in the DC area. Yesterday morning (Sunday), I did the following at about 10:00 a.m. with standard server traffic (on Jedi Covenant) per below. NOTE: I am located in the South Central Pennsylvania area, and my internet service provider is CTI/Centurylink:

Spoiler

So, there is obviously some kind of big road block in the Washington, DC area, judging from the 'timed outs' in the tracert. I did two other pathpings and tracerts on Saturday, with the same exact results.

Quote:
I am so annoyed by this that I did a whois lookup and called the tech number given for the alter.net ip address and left them a message alerting them of the issue after trying to have my IP (Comcast) do so. If the CS Droids could possibly tell Verizon Business (alter.net) about their issues and get it fixed soon.
Way to take the initiative. It would be really wonderful if Bioware's network engineers got in touch with Verizon's network engineers to find the source of the hang-up in the DC nodes.

OwenBrooks
01.21.2013 , 07:18 AM | #539
Some routers are simply set to kill ICMP packets and you will get the exact result above in jprife's test , is it an issue nope, can you do anyhing about it yes, read up on how the internet works.

Edit - this link is an old post but explains the basics well and is from an ISP

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/781576

NOTE: it's really important to understand that the only hop that matters is the final destination. If the final hop (your target) is showing 0% packet loss and acceptable latency, then all the hops before that can show all kinds of errors and it doesn't matter. As long as the final destination isn't affected, then all other latency and packet loss is an artifact of router configuration (or similar), and there is no problem.

Edit - in a perfect world these artifacts shouldn't exist but the internet is far from perfect I am afraid.

In regards to Fluba's Pathping it indicates a slight issue with the server itself but you need multiple tests at around the same time to get a true picture of what is occuring.
13 * 104 ms 103 ms 159.153.69.86

jprife
01.21.2013 , 08:37 AM | #540
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Some routers are simply set to kill ICMP packets and you will get the exact result above in jprife's test , is it an issue nope, can you do anyhing about it yes, read up on how the internet works.

Edit - this link is an old post but explains the basics well and is from an ISP

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/781576

NOTE: it's really important to understand that the only hop that matters is the final destination. If the final hop (your target) is showing 0% packet loss and acceptable latency, then all the hops before that can show all kinds of errors and it doesn't matter. As long as the final destination isn't affected, then all other latency and packet loss is an artifact of router configuration (or similar), and there is no problem.

Edit - in a perfect world these artifacts shouldn't exist but the internet is far from perfect I am afraid.

In regards to Fluba's Pathping it indicates a slight issue with the server itself but you need multiple tests at around the same time to get a true picture of what is occuring.
13 * 104 ms 103 ms 159.153.69.86
Hey wait a minute! Bioware customer service is telling EVERYONE with this problem to run and post their Pathpings and Tracerts, and now you're telling us that this is a pointless exercise???? I'm confused and even more frustrated now.