Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dear Bioware please balance PVP Teams

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Dear Bioware please balance PVP Teams

MidichIorian
01.20.2013 , 11:45 AM | #11
Didnt read the wall up there so this might have been mentioned already, it probably has since the wall must have covered every aspect of .....well what we know...about everything.

Anyhow, while matching premades against premades should be a simple matter, assuming they're prepared to let people queue a tad longer it's not as easy with roles and gear.

Roles: They would either have to let people manually fill in what they would like to queue as or have some 19 point threshold for tanks and healers. Manual selections should work, give or take human errors where people accidently fill in the wrong role, because it would be stupid of people to deliberatly sign up as healer when they're really dps. They would only screw themselves over by doing a thing like that.

Gear: Gear is really tricky since it's possible to swap. People would exploit it by queueing with 12K HP just to swtich to their full WH sets as soon as they had been accepted as the newbie on the team. So are they going to somehow prevent people from switching gear in warzones? Then we're back to the human error and people accidently queueing in their pve gear. I guess that could count as recruit but it wouldnt be optimal since recruit is better than tionese, for pvp.

The solution to everything is to get rid of expertise.

Spoletta
01.20.2013 , 12:03 PM | #12
Since expertise can't be removed from the game without causing havoc then i'd say that simply going with the role queuing in pvp would be a nice step forward.

NoFishing
01.20.2013 , 12:13 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by MidichIorian View Post
The solution to everything is to get rid of expertise.
This. Let PvP and PvE reward the same gear, and make gear mostly irrelevant for PvP.

And the OP has a valid point. I just completed a new alt to 50, did nothing but PvP for the last several levels. I ended up with 3500 ranked and 2500 regular comms, enough to buy relics, implants, and ear. The rest of my gear ended up recruit, and it sucks horribly compared to optimized EWH. Right now, I only complete my daily on that toon, because it isn't fun to be completely uncompetitive, and it isn't fair to the people that I end up queued with. I spend more time on my EWH/WH sage acquiring comms and gear for my alt.

The people responding with "it took me months to acquire WH gear that you can now get in a week" are not getting it. Your last few PvP matches at 49 are competitive and fun. Your first few PvP matches at 50 are awful, and this should be addressed, because it represents a huge disincentive to keep playing.

Spoletta
01.20.2013 , 12:27 PM | #14
There is indeed a problem with the gear gap from recruit to WH, but with maxed comms as you described you should have almost full WH right from the start, which is plenty competitive.

Racter
01.20.2013 , 12:53 PM | #15
Why would you want to get rid of expertise? You trying to get smashed for 10k instead of 6? Lol

NoFishing
01.20.2013 , 12:53 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Spoletta View Post
There is indeed a problem with the gear gap from recruit to WH, but with maxed comms as you described you should have almost full WH right from the start, which is plenty competitive.
I'm assuming this is directed to me, so I'll respond. You should re-check the prices on the WH gear. Yes, it is much less expensive now, but since you can only stack up to 2750 regular comms, you cannot get anywhere near full WH from the start.

Regular comms:
550 - Relic#1 (EWH)
550 - Relic#2 (EWH)
550 - Bracers
625 - Ear
625 - Impant #1
625 - Implant #2
625 - Belt
875 - Boots
875 - Gloves
975 - Legs
1075 - Head
1425 - Chest
1550 - Main hand
1550 - Off hand

If you go from least to most expensive, you will run out of comms before you can purchase the first implant. If the EWH ear and implants are worse itemizations than the WH, you could possibly buy more gear by trading ranked comms back into regular comms. But that is a really stupid thing to do long term since they lose 2/3 of their original value. Plus, you will have spent 2500 of your ranked comms on relics anyway, leaving a maximum of 2000 comms left to convert. That would get you up to the belt, but not enough to buy boots.

cycao
01.20.2013 , 01:27 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
This. Let PvP and PvE reward the same gear, and make gear mostly irrelevant for PvP.

And the OP has a valid point. I just completed a new alt to 50, did nothing but PvP for the last several levels. I ended up with 3500 ranked and 2500 regular comms, enough to buy relics, implants, and ear. The rest of my gear ended up recruit, and it sucks horribly compared to optimized EWH. Right now, I only complete my daily on that toon, because it isn't fun to be completely uncompetitive, and it isn't fair to the people that I end up queued with. I spend more time on my EWH/WH sage acquiring comms and gear for my alt.

The people responding with "it took me months to acquire WH gear that you can now get in a week" are not getting it. Your last few PvP matches at 49 are competitive and fun. Your first few PvP matches at 50 are awful, and this should be addressed, because it represents a huge disincentive to keep playing.
You gain the equivalent of a ****** piece of extra gear from optimized EWH compared to optimized WH. The difference is minute and the only reason people use it now is to complain about a gear grind which is hardly a gear grind. You will get your chops licked but instead of the old system which took some players 5 months to get min/maxed it can be done in less than 5 weeks.

You're just bad.

NoFishing
01.20.2013 , 01:52 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
You gain the equivalent of a ****** piece of extra gear from optimized EWH compared to optimized WH. The difference is minute and the only reason people use it now is to complain about a gear grind which is hardly a gear grind. You will get your chops licked but instead of the old system which took some players 5 months to get min/maxed it can be done in less than 5 weeks.

You're just bad.
Uhm, ok. Way to miss the point.

Varkantos
01.20.2013 , 04:55 PM | #19
"To defend that is simply disgusting"

Someone stopping you from finding three friends and logging in to TS?

WorldSecurities
01.20.2013 , 05:12 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by thegreebler View Post
lets see...

pure random vs a premade on voice = fair??

Not in a million years.

Lets try that with sports and see how long it lasts! Premade professional team vs random people that dont even know who they will be with!

To defend that is simply disgusting.
That's the disconnect with game life and real life.

Quote: Originally Posted by Brimmer View Post
Been saying the same since release, and only replies I get are from trolls.
There's been the same suggestion rolling on the forums for months, no groups* in PUG WZ, a 4 group on 4 group WZ, and ranked WZ.

* While trolls post, 'friends will still be able to talk to each other', the random player selection would most times scatter those 4 friends into 4 different WZs. Have fun coordinating with that.

Once upon a time, two of us were watching a day long two-court basketball session. Game ended when a set number of points were scored. The morning was PUGs, 5 on 5 random players. Competitive, but a horrible uncoordinated mess. Mid-day was PUGs vs PUGs who formed groups. Total slaughter; groups won all but one of the matches. Sound familiar? Fortunately that was a short demonstration to participants, that teamwork will win over solo play. PUG group vs PUG group was brutal, competitive, but more coordinated. Second best segment of the day.** The rest of the day was group versus group. Ending with a match of two retired pros versus a randomly selected 5 man group. Guess how that ended? ***

** And a yes to being having players watch WZ matches. Something to do while waiting for your match to spawn.
*** They lost, with smiles.

You want competitive matches? Set up 4/group vs 4/group WZs.

Since Bioware won't likely change anything, enjoy the short gear grind.