Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question about Smuggler Alt

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Question about Smuggler Alt

Talon_Starfire
01.13.2013 , 06:14 PM | #1
Hi,
Is a Smuggler able to side with the Empire or does the storyline make that impossible?
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Stenrik
01.13.2013 , 06:21 PM | #2
While it's not really possible to side WITH the Empire, it IS possible to do things that hurt the Republic and might help the Empire as a side effect. At least, that's from what I remember, playing neutral and trying a lot of the options out.

Wainamoinen
01.13.2013 , 06:22 PM | #3
Classes are assigned to the factions. This means all Smugglers are Republic.

Though you can play dark side rather than light if you want to pick all the selfish options.
There will be blood, it might be yours;
So go kill someone - signed, Bad Horse

Ilmarinen 65 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

ZakMorgan
01.14.2013 , 05:31 PM | #4
Without spoiling too much - Act 1 has almost nothing to do with the Republic vs Empire conflict, its just you trying to get rich and find great riches. You can of course play this act being completely selfish, even going as a far as helping Imps at the expense of the republic to achieve your goals.

Act 2 and Act 3 not so much since :

Spoiler

I did play my Smuggler as someone who was pretty apathetic about the Republic, my ending didn't really benefit them at all, but on the other hand it didn't really benefit the Empire either. If you don't really like the Republic then you'll have a decent time with the story, but don't expect too much pro-Empire opportunities either.
Founder, and proud Agent since day one

Talon_Starfire
01.15.2013 , 01:52 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ZakMorgan View Post
Without spoiling too much - Act 1 has almost nothing to do with the Republic vs Empire conflict, its just you trying to get rich and find great riches. You can of course play this act being completely selfish, even going as a far as helping Imps at the expense of the republic to achieve your goals.

Act 2 and Act 3 not so much since :

Spoiler

I did play my Smuggler as someone who was pretty apathetic about the Republic, my ending didn't really benefit them at all, but on the other hand it didn't really benefit the Empire either. If you don't really like the Republic then you'll have a decent time with the story, but don't expect too much pro-Empire opportunities either.
It's not that I don't like the Republic it's just if I'm playing a Smuggler I think I should be a criminal.
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

ZakMorgan
01.15.2013 , 04:19 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_Starfire View Post
It's not that I don't like the Republic it's just if I'm playing a Smuggler I think I should be a criminal.
Yes, you get many chances to be a criminal - you'll really love one of the endings too. In fact, even if you play full lightside you're still going to be a criminal who has trouble with the authorities. People forget that the Smuggler isn't the Agent for the republic, they're mercenaries who do jobs for them with credits as their biggest motivator.

I'm curious as to why you've asked whether they could be loyal to the empire.....the Empire is far more unforgiving towards Smugglers and criminals than the Republic is (The latter doesn't like them but does make use of them for the war effort, the former just end up killing them most the time).
Founder, and proud Agent since day one

Drew_Braxton
01.15.2013 , 04:37 PM | #7
Your question was already answered, but I did want to add that if you like the scoundrel as a class, but want imperial connections then start an operative. Same abilities, just named differently, and story is outstanding (after a slow start).

Agent Chapter 3 ending (spoiler alert obviously)

http://youtu.be/Yvb-X1Cug5E
Mains: Braaxton (pub) / Noomo (Imp) The Shadowlands
Characters: 33 level 65's, 2 level 20's
Achievement Count: 44,445
Decoration Prestige: 288,000 (576,000) Enjin Page

Gassygunslinger
01.16.2013 , 05:47 PM | #8
You're always going to be a criminal. In a lot of ways, you're the dude that the Republic reluctantly works with to get their hands dirty, so the Republic stays clean. That means dealing with the underworld, which is something they don't want to touch.

You're a mother flippin' dirty secret. The light side/dark side choices decides how dirty of a secret you are.
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

Skreenj
01.18.2013 , 09:31 AM | #9
You will get plenty of opportunities to be a criminal, believe me. You will have choices to kill people or let them live, chances to backstab Republic agents, even turn double agent yourself. You will even have "police" on certain planets giving you a hard time because they don't trust you. You will have the option to bribe enemies and even take bribes. It's a blast.
"You got a lotta guts coming here.."

bahdasz
01.20.2013 , 12:09 PM | #10
Smuggler in the empire is called Agent